Rumor: Captain Discussion: More Fuel for the Gagner Fire?

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Honestly at this point I could care less who is the captain after all of these lengthy bickering threads, we're putting way too much stock into a letter on a god damn jersey. It's going to be leadership via committee anyways.

Last edited:

Billybaroo*

everyone is a little dinged up by the end of the season. Gagner looked like he was coasting on most nights for the last 15 games. Gagner also led Oilers centermen in ice time last season. Maybe he just couldnt handle the pressure of filling RNH's spot on the roster. If he fell apart for the final 12 games during the stretch run what makes anyone think he could handle the added responsibility of being the teams leader..

Actually, for those watching,Gagner played very well down stretch.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Actually he played very well for the first 2/3 of the season but faltered in the stretch. About the same time that Hemsky was nursing his broken foot. Sammy proved this year that he can keep up with talented players. The next step is to be a leader on offense, to drive the net himself and score, in addition to the sweet passes he dishes up.

All Oilers fans should be happy with him, last year was the year that he finally put it together. This year should be a special one.

Billybaroo*

Actually he played very well for the first 2/3 of the season but faltered in the stretch. About the same time that Hemsky was nursing his broken foot. Sammy proved this year that he can keep up with talented players. The next step is to be a leader on offense, to drive the net himself and score, in addition to the sweet passes he dishes up.

All Oilers fans should be happy with him, last year was the year that he finally put it together. This year should be a special one.

He played quite hard near the end. One of the harder workers

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
He is more skilled than most 1st line centers in the AHL, the only 1st line centers that'd be as skilled would be guys that are biding their time to play in the NHL like Couture, B. Schenn, etc. I don't disagree with the rest of your post for the most part, but at least give him some due for his offensive abilities to be fair.

I like him in the shootout where he doesn't have to battle other NHL centers for the puck. He has some nifty hands in the SO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

No he didn't. Far from it. He had a hot start of the season offensively but faltered badly down the stretch and looked over matched when the pressure of leading the offense as the #1C was on his shoulders. And he had one boneheaded play that lead to a goal against in almost everyone of the last 10 games.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
If anyone was watching the game at rexall today, Hall showed an example of why I dont want him to have the Captaincy just yet. He had a couple giveaways, and then took a frustration penalty, and he does that often. In a few years when hes matured, he will learn to channel his frustration properly, but as of now, I dont think the time is right.

Gagner or Ference should be captains to me.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So yeah, Hall for captain, right...?

If he's getting rattled by pre-season games then his maturity level still isn't at a captain's level.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
So yeah, Hall for captain, right...?

If he's getting rattled by pre-season games then his maturity level still isn't at a captain's level.

This.

His last minor penalty tonight just shows his immaturity and how he cannot deal properly with frustration. This is exactly the type of attitude that needs to be dispelled from the Oilers dressing room.

The guy is a total force when he's going, but cannot be relied on to lead when he's frustrated/struggling. At least not yet.

Oct 15, 2008
This.

His last minor penalty tonight just shows his immaturity and how he cannot deal properly with frustration. This is exactly the type of attitude that needs to be dispelled from the Oilers dressing room.

The guy is a total force when he's going, but cannot be relied on to lead when he's frustrated/struggling. At least not yet.

Maybe we should trade him for a couple more Gagner's?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But Gagner quitting playing last year to whine to the refs = captain material? This was a meaningless preseason game where players like Hall are using to get up to regular season speed, if preseason games are where you determine captains then I guess we should give it to Jesse Joensuu?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
But Gagner quitting playing last year to whine to the refs = captain material? This was a meaningless preseason game where players like Hall are using to get up to regular season speed, if preseason games are where you determine captains then I guess we should give it to Jesse Joensuu?

Judging by the reaction around here, it wasn't so meaningless.

And Hall has acted like a child on more than one occasion. Snapping his stick, raging over penalty calls, the infamous "Why did we pull the ****ing goalie?" incident.

And IATL, did Hall have a good game tonight? You tell me.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Give it to Hall. He'll explode in anger and he should. So what. Being a captain is pretty much pointless in the grand scheme of things and probably makes almost no difference on the outcome of hockey games.

So make it fun and give it to the guy who shows he cares more than almost anyone else on the ice every single game, even if that makes him look silly sometimes.

The idea that the captain should be some sort of stoic robot who never shows emotions or makes mistakes is so outdated and lame.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You've mentioned this weird oddity about 10 times, each time asked afairc you haven't elaborated on what instance you are talking about.

Maybe cue up some Steve Ott videos as well. Not enough substance in the thread. :p:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

And Hall has acted like a child on more than one occasion. Snapping his stick, raging over penalty calls, the infamous "Why did we pull the ****ing goalie?" incident.

Why did we pull the ****ing goalie?

Oct 15, 2008

I dont put a lot of stock into the first split squad pre-season game.

Lets see who does what when the games matter.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
And he had one boneheaded play that lead to a goal against in almost everyone of the last 10 games.
More falsehoods.

But Gagner quitting playing last year to whine to the refs = captain material?
C'mon Bryan, you keep bringing up that one incident where he got mugged deep in the o-zone and the ref totally blew the call. It was an immature thing for him to do, but its not like you can point to other instances like that from his career.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Give it to Hall. He'll explode in anger and he should. So what. Being a captain is pretty much pointless in the grande scheme of things and probably makes almost no difference on the outcome of hockey games.

So make it fun and give it to the guy who shows he cares more than almost anyone else on the ice every single ice, even if that makes him look silly sometimes.

The idea that the captain should be some sort of stoic robot who never shows emotions or makes mistakes is so outdated and lame.

A good captain can be mercurial. But should have the type of slowburn that results in him using that energy beneficially, ala Mark Messier, and owning the opposition with fervent heat seeking missile intensity, vs getting bent out of shape, busting sticks, yacking at refs and sulking on the bench.

Hall needs to learn to turn frustration into good energy. I've seen him do that on occassion. More often than not though is when he gets angry he does himself over. Big difference.

I'm reminded of a quote about Begbie (Trainspotting) "I don't do drugs, I do people.."

Hall needs to get in others heads instead of his own. Doesn't have the first clue how to do that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
A good captain can be mercurial. But should have the type of slowburn that results in him using that energy beneficially, ala Mark Messier, and owning the opposition with fervent heat seeking missile intensity, vs getting bent out of shape, busting sticks, yacking at refs and sulking on the bench.

Hall needs to learn to turn frustration into good energy. I've seen him do that on occassion. More often than not though is when he gets angry he does himself over. Big difference.

I'm reminded of a quote about Begbie (Trainspotting) "I don't do drugs, I do people.."

Hall needs to get in others heads instead of his own. Doesn't have the first clue how to do that.

Sure that's the standard view. I don't see any evidence that the captain of a team could just as easily be a fart in a paper bag and be just as effective in terms of results.

Mark Messier did so many selfish dumbass things on the ice but his team won, so people just gloss over it. The myth of Messier (who is one of my all time favorite players mind you) is such a funny thing to listen to as the years roll on.

Give it to Hall for entertainment value!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You've mentioned this weird oddity about 10 times, each time asked afairc you haven't elaborated on what instance you are talking about.
Nah, it happened. I can't remember who the opposition was (Preds?) but Gagner got mauled down near the circle in the o-zone and may have been momentarily winded because he didn't get up too quickly. He then made no effort to get back to the defensive play in a timely fashion and instead skated at half speed back toward his own zone screaming at the ref as he went. It was childish, and iirc the opposition scored on the play as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad