Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Tank commanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Unless the Flyers make it in somehow, I expect all PKers to be ultra aggressive with their forwards pressuring the puck.

If I was trying to PK vs us, you need to cheat Ovi as priority 1. You also have to collapse/cover Oshie, which also prevents Nick to Ovi. Backdoor MJ to Ovi is covered by the backside D. I would try to make shots from Nick or Shatty beat you. Have one uber mobile forward work back and forth between those 2.

Cheating to Ov and collapsing on Oshie is a worthy PK strategy. But doing that and pressuring the puck are not compatible. If you pressure 19, 90 and 22, you then open up the middle for 77. If you stand a player in Ov's shooting lane, that opens up the middle for 77.

If they take Ov and Oshie away it will become the Shattenkirk show. If he isn't going to score(which he hasn't), then the hope would be to get rebounds and scrambles going to breakdown the pk structure.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Cheating to Ov and collapsing on Oshie is a worthy PK strategy. But doing that and pressuring the puck are not compatible. If you pressure 19, 90 and 22, you then open up the middle for 77. If you stand a player in Ov's shooting lane, that opens up the middle for 77.
Teams can pressure situationally while still shading toward Ovechkin and Oshie generally. Aggression and structure aren't mutually exclusive concepts. It's about support and when to pressure at crucial points and not doing so mindlessly. It depends on the lanes in who has the puck at the time and pouncing on opportunities when possession isn't entirely secured or a player isn't fully set up positionally to man their role.

Teams know tendencies and we've seen them make Backstrom or the point man shoot to beat them. It's not happening so much lately but that plan remains viable. Shading a player toward Ovechkin's lane doesn't hinder a team from still doing the same to Oshie. Pressuring Shattenkirk doesn't open a direct lane to Oshie unless 22 is much closer to the half-wall. Indirectly you'd likely see the LD move up should the attacking forward get stuck up high. There's a logic to the Caps PP system and a logic to countering it. We haven't seen a ton of teams shadowing Ovechkin this year but teams can do it and not get burned by it.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
What is with this stupid agenda with Shattenkirk not scoring

He is the best on our D by far at getting pucks into the net. The fact that he bounces them in off of Beagle's or Oshie's or Johansson's ***** or by laying it right to OV's sweet spot is a plus not a minus. That's what playoff scoring will devolve to.

Half of his assists might as well be goals since he was the most important component of the play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like all our Dmen all over the offensive zone was very key to us, IN that monster scoring run we had.

You just don't see our D up in the play as much, after what seems like a tweak after spring break. Schmidt for one was very easy to see playing RW on the rush.

A Dman up in the rush is tough for defenses to account for. Of course, it's at risk for the counter and odd man, but it didn't seem to concern Barry at all exactly a year ago.

If we find ourselves in low scoring coin flip games all playoffs, I want Barry to roll the dice and go back to that pre-spring break offense that was rather Finnish Five-ish, and lean on the player that needs to be his best every night anyways. For one game.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Teams can pressure situationally while still shading toward Ovechkin and Oshie generally. Aggression and structure aren't mutually exclusive concepts. It's about support and when to pressure at crucial points and not doing so mindlessly. It depends on the lanes in who has the puck at the time and pouncing on opportunities when possession isn't entirely secured or a player isn't fully set up positionally to man their role.

Teams know tendencies and we've seen them make Backstrom or the point man shoot to beat them. It's not happening so much lately but that plan remains viable. Shading a player toward Ovechkin's lane doesn't hinder a team from still doing the same to Oshie. Pressuring Shattenkirk doesn't open a direct lane to Oshie unless 22 is much closer to the half-wall. Indirectly you'd likely see the LD move up should the attacking forward get stuck up high. There's a logic to the Caps PP system and a logic to countering it. We haven't seen a ton of teams shadowing Ovechkin this year but teams can do it and not get burned by it.

5 against 4 means that one of them is open. that there is a 2 on 1 somewhere. of course situationally you come out of your basic structure to make a play. reality is that penalty killing is about choices. if you can cover all 5 players with 4 and you can take away all the shooters and pressure the passers at the same time, that's good penalty killing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel like all our Dmen all over the offensive zone was very key to us, IN that monster scoring run we had.

You just don't see our D up in the play as much.

That two on one that Colorado scored on last night. Go find it. Orlov was nearly in the offensive left wing corner when the puck was turned over. They are still doing it. They are just not doing it as well right now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That two on one that Colorado scored on last night. Go find it. Orlov was nearly in the offensive left wing corner when the puck was turned over. They are still doing it. They are just not doing it as well right now.

Or, maybe Barry is allowing it only situation-ally, or only certain guys get the green light now. You remember pre-spring break, we were doing it for entire games. Up 5-1 in the final minutes, we were still looking like a team desperate to score. We were the Canadian Globe Trotters.

After the break, we were more the Washington Generals once again.

I bet Connolly hated that break more than most. Maybe he could use a night off.

Jun 15, 2007
I had my first ever hockey related dream last night.

Got to the SCF where we played against Nashville. Forsberg scored the series winner against us.

My last words as I disintegrated into a cloud of fury and agony were '**** you McPhee'.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I had my first ever hockey related dream last night.

Got to the SCF where we played against Nashville. Forsberg scored the series winner against us.

My last words as I disintegrated into a cloud of fury and agony were '**** you McPhee'.

Some of you really need to let go of that Forsberg thing. Its just not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad