Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Sens Oct 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
From behind like that it is. First thing you are taught in hockey not to do. Any other level its automatic ejection. That play was the difference in the game. But the NHL doesnt seem to think hits from behind are suspension worthy its really strange, Paul is ok so whatever. Anyways was fun to watch either way as a sens fan, good luck to you guys the rest of the way thanks for some entertainment.

Have you lost your mind?? You are suggesting that Ovechkin was full aware that drilling a guy in the numbers could get him suspended and for some reason didn't care and didnt it? You are nuts.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Get your head out of your ass. McMichael was only playing the 6 on 5 because of the icing calls. Without the icing I guarantee he would not have been on the ice and it would have likely been his final shift of the game.
And you call me igornant. Not alot of hockey IQ on this board. It can be very painful reading this crap. Which is why Im not on the site often anymore.
Here's the thing though: Laviolette could have shortened the entire bench with 5-7 minutes left, sat both rookies, shifted Oshie at center and run 3 lines... but he didn't. You act like anything just before the icing is just some happy accident and then Laviolette suddenly woke up and started paying attention to who is on the ice, it's so tremendously stupid.

Reactions: HecticGlow

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Here's the thing though: Laviolette could have shortened the entire bench with 5-7 minutes left, sat both rookies, shifted Oshie at center and run 3 lines... but he didn't. You act like anything just before the icing is just some happy accident and then Laviolette suddenly woke up and started paying attention to who is on the ice, it's so tremendously stupid.

I think its fair to think that Laviolette with 4 mins to go in the game thought he could get the kid another shift and maybe get Oshie another goal. He wasn't thinking that in today's NHL the goalies get pulled earlier all the time and that with an icing with more than 3 mins to go the goalie was coming out and he was hung up with the players he had on the ice. I bet we dont see that again. Maybe it was the perfect scenario but there is no way that Laviolette expected to have 24 on the ice 5 on 6 and have him hung out there for icing for 3 shifts or something.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As was mentioned, CCM was put back out there again later, after a puck over the boards allowed the initial line change and some time had passed. I don't see why this is a controversy.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think its fair to think that Laviolette with 4 mins to go in the game thought he could get the kid another shift and maybe get Oshie another goal. He wasn't thinking that in today's NHL the goalies get pulled earlier all the time and that with an icing with more than 3 mins to go the goalie was coming out and he was hung up with the players he had on the ice. I bet we dont see that again. Maybe it was the perfect scenario but there is no way that Laviolette expected to have 24 on the ice 5 on 6 and have him hung out there for icing for 3 shifts or something.
I... don't really think it's fair to say that our NHL coach just "wasn't thinking" that the other team might pull their goaltender early. I think he weighed his options and gave the kid a shift that was guaranteed to carry more defensive responsibility (and not hunting for an Oshie goal), and the timing worked out such that the Caps iced it a few times. I don't think you see him in a one goal game but I have no reason to believe he wasn't given an opportunity to play while up 2.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I... don't really think it's fair to say that our NHL coach just "wasn't thinking" that the other team might pull their goaltender early. I think he weighed his options and gave the kid a shift that was guaranteed to carry more defensive responsibility (and not hunting for an Oshie goal), and the timing worked out such that the Caps iced it a few times. I don't think you see him in a one goal game but I have no reason to believe he wasn't given an opportunity to play while up 2.

I am not sure there is a scenario where there is something I could say to change your mind. I thought my point was fair that having 24 on the ice 5 on 6 was not what Lavy wanted. But you can feel differently. We will never know. Next? Is Ov dirty or is Tom Wilson an assist god? You choose.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
McMic got regular shifts the entire game, bench got short for Lap and Sprong

McMic is gaining trust as Defensively responsible, these last 2 games he's had more 3rd pd time where his previous 2 he was barely on the last 10 min.s of those 2

Sprong and Lap aren't getting late game minutes, and Mantha's lost some late game minutes too

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

McMic is gaining trust as Defensively responsible, these last 2 games he's had more 3rd pd time where his previous 2 he was barely on the last 10 min.s of those 2

Sprong and Lap aren't getting late game minutes, and Mantha's lost some late game minutes too

Lets see what he plays when Dowd is back. Last night he played 14 which is a lot for him, but Lappy really didnt play. Kuzy played 20 and Eller played 18. I think that 14 he played was going to be about the minimum he could play if Lappy was only gonna skate the occasional shift.

What I do think, however, is that Oshie was told the put the throttle down and worry less about protecting the rookies and put the puck in the net. His game was clearly more aggressive than it had been and McMichael kept his head above water with that going on

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
From my eyes McMic has been very average
competent, but mediocre (which is fine for now)
He's obv. trying hard and trying to play 200 ft. game but hasn't stood out good or bad (again, fine for now)

Hope he gets a cpl goals soon > confidence > more goals and offense

There hasn't been much of any Secondary scoring from fwds yet
(OV-7 TJ-4 Kuz-4 Mantha-2), everyone else is 1 or 0

Once Eller/Sheary/Sprong et al start scoring and team gets healthy, I'm curious if McMic can stay up

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Watching top 6 prospects start breaking into the NHL for 30+ years what I see from McM so far is a good. Getting NHL level consistency earns the coach's trust and the offense will come just needs more NHL experience and so far not seeing any glaring defensive deficiencies.

Reactions: Calicaps

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Very weird game. Honestly I don't know if defense was bad. They did have a hard time with the Sens forecheck, but that wasn't the reason they gave up so many goals. Sammy was struggling all night, he just didn't look right. He was flailing around the net, didn't seem composed at all. Also some luck involved, the goal that went off of Orlov's stick. Strange game.

They gave up 20 high-danger chances against. That's the 4th highest number in the NHL team has given up this season, and 2 of those 3 numbers were in the same game (Ottawa-Toronto).

14 high-danger chances against 5-on-5. They gave up 1 to the Rangers in the opening night.

I love these kind of high-scoring games but don't really get why people are throwing Samsonov under the bus and praising the defense. Sure we got some goals by the D's but the overall team defense took a night off here. We lost the high-danger chances 11-20 so it was propably a good thing that Senators goalies had an absolutely brutal game here.

Funniest thing here is that Samsonov finished the game with a 86.49 SV% but his high-danger SV was 87.50%. Our high-danger shooting % was 42.86. :laugh:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I'm using your McMic reference in my future posts regarding this young, upcoming star. I get tired of typing out his name, lol.

Reactions: zappa4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad