GDT: Caps vs Hawks 9 pm Dec 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This might be my favorite NHL call of all time, other than when the Caps won the Cup of course.

“Score! Off the floor, on the board — Paul Kariya!”

The wordplay for the call was utterly fantastic, but knowing what we know now about concussions (and how concussion would impact Kariya specifically), that call ends up making me uncomfortable today. Obviously not Thorne's fault by any means, but that whole situation is just really unfortunate.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The wordplay for the call was utterly fantastic, but knowing what we know now about concussions (and how concussion would impact Kariya specifically), that call ends up making me uncomfortable today. Obviously not Thorne's fault by any means, but that whole situation is just really unfortunate.
There’s an interview with Kariya on YouTube from a few years ago and part of the interview touches on the hit and the rest of the game. Kariya said he still has no memory of the hit or any part of the game after the hit but he watched the hit and thought it was late and dirty. Said he and Stevens haven’t spoken since then.

Kariya also refused to get involved with the game after he had to retire early due to concussions because he was pissed that cheap shots stole his career. It was a tough listen because he was one of my favorite players growing up. He said he’s in better spirits now as time as passed and he may get involved in the game again but when they interviewed him he was spending the majority of his time just chilling on the beach and surfing.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Messier could be a passable color commentator, although not a particularly insightful one. He at least seems to understand what the role is and how and when he should interact. But Chelios is absolutely useless, and does nothing but laugh or talk over other people in the booth. And the two of them together just drag one another down even further.

Definitely. They bring out the worst in each other as broadcasters. The low point for me was when they were talking about NAK -- who they said was playing great, to their credit -- but almost immediately cut to the dude-bro, pseudo-bully quip, "Remember when he toe-picked with the Cup?" and spent the next 10 seconds chuckling like Beavis and Butthead.

Probably damn near every ex-NHLer has that in them, but having another guy in the booth encouraging it brings them both down. Not a big deal, but also not something you need another guy there to double-down on. If you need a 3rd guy, make it someone that's more of an analyst.

Reactions: Hivemind

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I realize it was legal back then, but that’s among the dirtiest hits I’ve ever seen. Stevens should cringe anytime anyone shows this on a highlight reel.
Worst part of it is, Stevens was legitimately a stellar hockey player and didn't need to destroy guys' careers to make a difference. It was all so unnecessary. I sometimes wonder what Lindros might've been/done if not for Stevens.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Worst part of it is, Stevens was legitimately a stellar hockey player and didn't need to destroy guys' careers to make a difference. It was all so unnecessary. I sometimes wonder what Lindros might've been/done if not for Stevens.
Definitely predatory….hurts to see as a fan of the player back then. Dude played with such a hard ass edge. I recall the battles between him and a young Tocchet…..so much anger it was great….

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Great call “And after twenty-two-years… Raymond Bourque!” Hard to be a fan of hockey and not get goose bumps when you hear that call.
Oh yeah I definitely watched that. I've made sure to catch the games of future HOFers where there were some important milestones. It sucked as a caps fan having to go against Bourque all those years but towards their career in the hate turns to appreciation of their career.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agreed there was still an element of the 80s when it came to blowing up a player if they got caught and knocking them out of the game was helping their team win the game.

Lindros was such a dominant player before that hit. I think he got blown up a second time when he came back was it Kasperitis? AOs ability to blow through people trying to lay the hit on him was one of the things right in his first year that seemed like a supernatural ability.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad