Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Habs 7:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Wasn't too long ago that half this board was convinced that the Caps window was just about to slam shut. Might be open a little longer than we thought.
Being good team in Autumn and Cup winning team are not exactly similar. They are one line fun team to watch right now... but mostly when 1st line is on the ice. Is it sustainable to win the cup? Boston's 1st line seemed to be negative about it not that long ago.

Id prefer to wait. I mean hopefully they get to the 2nd round. Cup is another story altogether.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Caps games on Thanksgiving Eve are the best.

Glad they won because the Metro is tough. All eight teams played last night and only two — Carolina and NYI — didn’t get points.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Being good team in Autumn and Cup winning team are not exactly similar. They are one line fun team to watch right now... but mostly when 1st line is on the ice. Is it sustainable to win the cup? Boston's 1st line seemed to be negative about it not that long ago.

Id prefer to wait. I mean hopefully they get to the 2nd round. Cup is another story altogether.

You prefer to wait for what? Ive heard that its possible to have the best record in the league and not win the cup. Call me crazy but I thought the pre season window is closes message was accompanied by predicting that the Caps were a bubble team at best. Do you still have hopes for the bubble team outcome?

and....they are a 1 line team because? Is it because Backstrom and Oshie and Mantha and Eller and Sheary all suck or maybe something else? Something more temporary

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s easy to think McMichael isn’t scoring enough when Ovechkin and the first line is absolutely killing it.

But just for reference, McMichael is scoring at pretty much the exact same rate as Nicklas Backstrom did last season at 5v5.

He’s still driving play and scoring at a good clip. There’s no reason to send him down with this many injuries. If his play actually falters then maybe there’s a discussion to be had.

He's scoring at a good clip. ok....:banghead:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
As good as the Caps have played so far, they are only 7 points out of a playoff slot. The East, and especially the Metro, is so good this year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. As I mentioned McMichael is scoring 2.01 points/60 at 5v5. That's the exact same rate that TJ Oshie and Nicklas Backstrom scored last year at 5v5. Did they not score enough for your liking?

Not everyone can be Alex Ovechkin and score 4+ points/60 at 5v5.

Backstrom and Oshie. OK

We can stop right here.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
and....they are a 1 line team because? Is it because Backstrom and Oshie and Mantha and Eller and Sheary all suck or maybe something else? Something more temporary
All of these guys performing as usual isnt guaranteed sadly

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. As I mentioned McMichael is scoring 2.01 points/60 at 5v5. That's the exact same rate that TJ Oshie and Nicklas Backstrom scored last year at 5v5. Did they not score enough for your liking?

Not everyone can be Alex Ovechkin and score 4+ points/60 at 5v5.

why should a partial analysis impress anyone? When CMM brings the entire package that 19 and 77 do, get back to me.

Reactions: racingmoose

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
why should a partial analysis impress anyone? When CMM brings the entire package that 19 and 77 do, get back to me.

I'm not saying McMichael is as complete as those players. I'm saying that if one is going to suggest that McMichael should go back to the AHL, then "he isn't scoring enough points" isn't a good reason right now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not saying McMichael is as complete as those players. I'm saying that if one is going to suggest that McMichael should go back to the AHL, then "he isn't scoring enough points" isn't a good reason right now.

you cherry picking a singular stat and comparing him to 19 and 77 isn’t winning you any arguments.

CMM has been fairly invisible lately. Which isn’t horrible for a rookie, but it’s not compelling either in terms of keeping him in the lineup when we get healthy.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
you cherry picking a singular stat and comparing him to 19 and 77 isn’t winning you any arguments.

CMM has been fairly invisible lately. Which isn’t horrible for a rookie, but it’s not compelling either in terms of keeping him in the lineup when we get healthy.

Of course I wasn't the one who zeroed in on McMichael's point scoring, that was the good Texan Police Department. I was merely providing a basis of comparison to refute his assertion that McMichael's not scoring enough. To wit, TJ Oshie had 13 instances last season where he had 2 or fewer 5v5 points in the prior 8 games as McMichael is currently at. Unless you are truly an elite talent (as opposed to merely very good), everyone goes through stretches like that.

I guess I'm not seeing him being invisible. He's still generating chances individually and his teammates are generating chances while he's on the ice. I'm not sending this guy down to the AHL anytime soon:

upload_2021-11-25_11-35-12.png

Reactions: Kalopsia

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course I wasn't the one who zeroed in on McMichael's point scoring, that was the good Texan Police Department. I was merely providing a basis of comparison to refute his assertion that McMichael's not scoring enough. To wit, TJ Oshie had 13 instances last season where he had 2 or fewer 5v5 points in the prior 8 games as McMichael is currently at. Unless you are truly an elite talent (as opposed to merely very good), everyone goes through stretches like that.

I guess I'm not seeing him being invisible. He's still generating chances individually and his teammates are generating chances while he's on the ice. I'm not sending this guy down to the AHL anytime soon:

View attachment 484082

I know you don’t like it, but actual goals and assists matter. He’s been treading water of late IMO.

77 and 19 bring other things when they’re not scoring.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
McMichael has practically had a new line combination every single game as a rookie, not worried at all about his point totals.

He clearly passes the eye test and he’s only going to get better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know you don’t like it, but actual goals and assists matter. He’s been treading water of late IMO.

77 and 19 bring other things when they’re not scoring.

We've been down this road with Burakovsky and Vrana in the past. 10 or 15 game goalless streaks bought them healthy scratches which caused an uproar here on the boards. For those players getting a few AHL games to get some confidence wasnt an option. How long to do think a player struggling to put something on the board wants to hear about his analytics? Frustration settles in and usually there is a snowball effect. After a while fancy charts dont wash away the pain.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Backstrom and Oshie. OK

We can stop right here.
Remember when you were like “I can admit when I’m wrong” and now you’re about to make this into something it’s not so you can double down?
Why don’t you take a second to reevaluate? Been unbelievable this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad