Caps vs Flyers - 01/02/13

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
His playoff run last year aside, where is the proof of this? My Hockey IQ isn't the highest, but I don't get where this "highest ceiling in the league amoung young goaltenders" comes from. Yes Holtby looked good in the playoffs, but how much did Hunters Magic Shell system contribute to that? And I don't recall reading or seeing Holtby dominate at the AHL level when he was the #1 in Hershey. If his ceiling is so high wouldn't he have been standing on his head at a level lower than the NHL?

Its been said on here that Varley was the most physically gifted of the 3 young goalies in the Caps system. I could actually see that when he played for the Caps. All I see from Holtby is a guy who handles the puck well and isn't afraid to do it whenever he wants. But between the pipes, I don't see what Varley showed glimpses of. Right now it seems to me Neuvy is as athletic as Holtby, and Neuvy's puck handling has improved noticeably over last year.

I favor Neuvy, but if Holtby locks down the #1 spot I won't be sad. But will that happen this year? Doesn't seem like a certainty to me at this point.

GAA 2.14 SV% 0.932 W 12 L 12 SOL 1

How is that not dominating on a poor Hershey team? His talent level is much higher than Neuvirth and it will become more apparent as he refines his game and becomes more consistent.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Ugly elbow by Erskine on Simmonds. Only question is how many games he'll get. Still, Erskine played like a man possessed tonight. Erskine continues to play like this (once he returns from his "vacation"), I could see the Caps resigning him. Well the only question that remains is if it will be Poti or Hamrlik that gets the sweater against the Pens, my vote is for Poti.

Erskine should be our 6/7 pretty much forever. It should be on 1 or 2 year deals but he should be here for a while.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Agree about Erksine's hit on whether it was a reaction or had more purpose. Doesn't change the end result but could change the term. LOL Still dirty in my mind. Result of an unskilled player trying to rectify a mistake.

As for the D something has to give when Laich comes back. And to me it's like they are holding out Poti and Hamrlik because they are being shopped. Maybe they are not - just my feeling. Maybe Erskine's played well enough and they are showcasing Schultz. But the fact that neither played in a back to back set makes me wonder. Especially when Oates answered with "fresh legs" when they came out after the first game of a back to back.

But now management will be in a quandary if Erskine is suspended because they'll be forced to play one of them or both if they take turns. My feeling is either one is good enough to be in someone's elses lineup and the Caps don't want them injured. They are both expiring contracts and d-men are a known commodity. Schultz just isn't impressive but the two vets still have something to offer IMHO.

Poor Poti is just trying to make a comeback and it's pretty well known Hamr has wanted to play hockey all along. So maybe one gets traded (best offer) and the other will be back in the lineup.

And maybe I'm totally out to lunch with my thoughts. LOL Kinda reminds me of last year though. Hamrlik was seemingly benched and being shopped. Then Green gets suspended and Hunter was forced to make a move. Hamr never saw the bench again and was stellar in the playoffs. Thus his value could be on the higher side now since that's what folks will remember.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Shanaban has bigger things to do than suspend Erskine....

Like how to find a reason to suspend OV again for hurting Bryz... shot with attempt to injure maybe? 10 games minimum

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Solid game to watch, minus the ugly elbow from Erskine. Kind of aggravating that they're going to lose him now with the Pens coming up, as he's playing well and the Caps could use his presence against them. There was a shift during the second or third period where he and Carlson looked like the Bash Brothers out there.

Ovechkin and Backstrom showing signs of life. Green continues to look good with Alzner. No idea why this isn't getting more attention, even moreso after his great playoffs last year. Kundratek looks worlds better than his call up last year, but a pairing with him and Schultz still has me worried 75% of the time they're on ice.

Also not going to be too optimistic. Philly looked like a team in distress. Jagr gone, Hartnell out, and skating with 10 forwards 75% of the game. Giroux looked like a shell of himself from last year. I don't think not playing with Hartnell and Jagr is the whole story; he looked like he was playing hurt.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
After watching a replay of the Erskine elbow, it's not in the same universe as the Bourque on Backstrom elbow. You people that say it was are crazy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
After watching a replay of the Erskine elbow, it's not in the same universe as the Bourque on Backstrom elbow. You people that say it was are crazy.

no, its not like that. bourque was head hunting. that doesnt mean erskine wont get suspended.
erskine clearly raised his elbow and it got simmons square in the face. in the position he was in i would guess
that erskine didnt know where the elbow was going to hit simmons and was using it as protection.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Green continues to look good with Alzner. No idea why this isn't getting more attention, even moreso after his great playoffs last year..

the vast numbers that have criticized green for years now are not going to suddenly praise him. rather than comment on his quality play at both ends of the ice, the anti-green among us are waiting for green to get injured. then the i told you so's will return.

i, personally, am content with their silence on the subject.

theres so much negative about the team in general right now and so much invested in it that a nice 5 game win streak might shut the boards down entirely

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
no, its not like that. bourque was head hunting. that doesnt mean erskine wont get suspended.
erskine clearly raised his elbow and it got simmons square in the face. in the position he was in i would guess
that erskine didnt know where the elbow was going to hit simmons and was using it as protection.

This. Still, broke Simmonds nose and likely concussed him. Could be 5 games, though I expect it's more like 3.

I Am Score*

You don't use your elbow period.

For "protection" or what not, you can easily absorb the "collision" without using your elbow.

It's not as bad as Bourque's but it's still a suspension. There is no possibly way it's less than 2 games.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
It's kind of like which driver is responsible in a car accident. Simmons was reclassly skating full speed either tword the puck or (IMO) trying to take out Erskine. If Simmons is skating out of control its his risk as to what he may hit in the process.

JE was clearly and intently going for the puck and I think fully aware that Simmons was comming for him. Could just as easily been a violent boarding call on Simmons if the elbow had'nt come up.

I think the ref saw it that way too, thus the non call.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
it was actually very similar to Bourque. Look at it at its core. a player elbowed another player in the face. The puck was nearby before both happened.

I do not believe Shanahan cares about the score, nor intent, for intent is clearly in the mind of the player and cannot be proven one way or another.

Instinct and intent are often the same behavior. When they diverge its becomes dirty and malicious with intent to injure.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Holtby had a good playoffs last year and that is why he should be the #1? I think Neuvirth has played out of his mind the past few games. If Neuvy keeps it up he should definitely be the #1 moving forward. Holtby looked shaky at points last night and gave up some bad rebounds that the Caps had to bail him out on. Overall I think Holtby is good, but he still has to work. To the poster who says Holtby played on a bad Hershey team that is not true. He played on a badly offensive Hershey team their defense has been solid the whole year.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
From other teams perspective, there has to be a lot of ????? regarding Tom Poti due to his injury then coming back and then abruptly sitting.

Regarding Hamrlik, teams know what they will be getting, a slow veteran d-man who can be a shot blocking machine. Hamrlik could be a nice pick-up at the TDL for a playoff bound team that is in need of defensive help. That said, I think straight up the high side return value for him would be a 4th rounder. Some may say a 3rd rounder because of the scarcity of d-men, but I'm not convinced that he could garner such a return, but stranger things have happened.

2013/14 defensive corps should look something like this, just not sure how the pairings would shake out:
- Green
- Alzner
- Carlson
- Orlov
- Kundratek
- Schilling (anyone know how he's been performing in Hershey)
- Erskine (resign him)
- Poti (see how the season goes, just think he might be a good mentor for the younger guys)

Oh my! No room for JFS

Last edited:

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Holtby had a good playoffs last year and that is why he should be the #1? I think Neuvirth has played out of his mind the past few games. If Neuvy keeps it up he should definitely be the #1 moving forward. Holtby looked shaky at points last night and gave up some bad rebounds that the Caps had to bail him out on. Overall I think Holtby is good, but he still has to work. To the poster who says Holtby played on a bad Hershey team that is not true. He played on a badly offensive Hershey team their defense has been solid the whole year.

Holtby has always been prone to bad rebounds. He was in the playoffs last year, but good defensive positioning helped mitigate it. Still almost or did cost us on several occasions.

He could end up being great, but he is not a number 1. Neuvy has shown me that he is ready, but will never be a top goalie in the league.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
theres so much negative about the team in general right now and so much invested in it that a nice 5 game win streak might shut the boards down entirely

I think the negativity is pretty well justified. The D and goaltending are both coming around, but this team still hasn't scored more than 3 goals in any game, hasn't won a game by more than one goal, is 13th in the conference, and is only scoring 2.25 goals per game. Meanwhile, Tampa looks like world-beaters, and has already opened up a 7 point lead in the SE.

More importantly though, they haven't looked like a good team in any of their games. They have, at times, looked competent, but not good for more than a period at a time, and never great.

I'd love to be optimistic about this team, I just don't have a reason to think that way yet.

Halpysback*

the vast numbers that have criticized green for years now are not going to suddenly praise him. rather than comment on his quality play at both ends of the ice, the anti-green among us are waiting for green to get injured. then the i told you so's will return.

i, personally, am content with their silence on the subject.

part of the boards that lets regular season streaks determine their evaluation of hockey teams maybe

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Well someone said it before me - Bourque and Erskine - both elbows to the head. I guess I'd have to feel both to know which one I'd prefer if I had to pick one. LOL I'd maybe go for Bourque's because Backstrom never fell and didn't have a bloody nose. If Simmonds isn't concussed maybe I'd go for that one instead.

RE: Hamrlik. I don't think it'll wait until the TDL. Teams could use him now. It's a shortened season and to have him on a third pairing eating minutes would be quite a luxury, especially to save your stars TOI. I remember GMGM saying that before the season started his phone was ringing off the hook.

The outcome of the game tomorrow will be a better barometer for me to gauge the Caps ATM. Hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised at another loss.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well someone said it before me - Bourque and Erskine - both elbows to the head. I guess I'd have to feel both to know which one I'd prefer if I had to pick one. LOL I'd maybe go for Bourque's because Backstrom never fell and didn't have a bloody nose. If Simmonds isn't concussed maybe I'd go for that one instead.

RE: Hamrlik. I don't think it'll wait until the TDL. Teams could use him now. It's a shortened season and to have him on a third pairing eating minutes would be quite a luxury, especially to save your stars TOI. I remember GMGM saying that before the season started his phone was ringing off the hook.

The outcome of the game tomorrow will be a better barometer for me to gauge the Caps ATM. Hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised at another loss.

Erskine - elbowed a player in a collision while trying to get to the puck. Could have been inadvertent.

Bourque -elbows a guy who's not looking and is peeling off for a line change after the puck is gone. Completely deliberate.

Other than the face that there's a elbow to the head involved, there aren't a whole lot of similarities.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, much needed win. Hope they can pick it up.

Though it was against seriously slumping Flyers, the players looked to be little better than in previous games.. Oates is maybe getting the message.

Except for Mojo. Disappointment.

D should be more sharper.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Erskine - elbowed a player in a collision while trying to get to the puck. Could have been inadvertent.

Bourque -elbows a guy who's not looking and is peeling off for a line change after the puck is gone. Completely deliberate.

Other than the face that there's a elbow to the head involved, there aren't a whole lot of similarities.

I agree in that there was no intent on Erskine's part to hit Simmonds in the face and that it was more an instinctual effort to protect himself but Erskine is still getting suspended. Hopefully it will just be a game.

If Eskine had had the same intent as Bourque did Simmonds would not have gotten up under his own power.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Didn't post till now, as I had another game to watch when I got home from the Caps game.

My .02:

That was one tough game to watch. It was like a battle of poor team attrition, with the Caps being slightly better than the Flyers. It was my first in-person game this year, and seeing the entire ice makes a big difference. For every good play by a player, we made at least 2 bad ones.

One thing I noticed is that we've gotta quit using starch on AO's jerseys. I never noticed how straight and stiff he is most of the time. Last night, he was right back to his old self: cherry-picking. The first Flyer goal I attribute to him... instead of getting in the play, he was hanging out at the pointe, to gain a few steps on the D in case of transition.

On the way home, I had to laugh as the radio announcers claimed that the Caps "played the system the whole game."

Cherry-picking is part of the system? And the last 2-3 minutes, with our guys forming a line to prevent the Flyers from skating the puck into our zone... looked an awful lot like "Hunter-Hockey" to me and the folk in the stands.

Thank gawd we won, but it had a Edmonton vs Columbus look to the game. Very hard to watch. Still, an improvement, slightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad