Post-Game Talk: Caps vs. Devils, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
My brother who is a huge caps fan (thanks to me) came in from Cincy tonight. His long term girlfriend came in too and I took them to the game.

Hyped up rocking the red/Verizon atmosphere/etc.

Got 40 total shots - a 1-0 game - and another snoozer vs the devils lol

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My brother who is a huge caps fan (thanks to me) came in from Cincy tonight. His long term girlfriend came in too and I took them to the game.

Should've seen that one coming :rant:

You wouldn't pay me to go to a 2016-2017 Devils game like that one.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I have no doubt in my mind that Ovi is playing with a wrist injury. He is passing up numerous opportunities to shoot each game.

And when he does shoot, it doesn't have the same sizzle it had last year, or even earlier this season. I'm with you on the wrist injury.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014

I was also at this game. For the majority of the game I was wishing I was watching it at home so I at least could fall asleep on the couch.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
So now, teams not only try to cheat on Ovi on the PP, but on Shatty too. That's what I call a good advertising. And the role of Oshie will become more important on the PP, he'll get more opportunities to shoot I think.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So now, teams not only try to cheat on Ovi on the PP, but on Shatty too. That's what I call a good advertising. And the role of Oshie will become more important on the PP, he'll get more opportunities to shoot I think.

Teams have been doing this for a while but it was more obvious this game. Not sure if it was just NJ's thing or if Shatty has a bigger bullseye on his back than Nisky or Carlson did. Or both.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And when he does shoot, it doesn't have the same sizzle it had last year, or even earlier this season. I'm with you on the wrist injury.

a month or more ago on a game not done by joe b and locker he was cutting across the middle in the O zone and went down awkward. He was either hacked as he passed someone or was tripped. He skated straight off the ice bent over and protecting his left lower arm. They showed a replay of it.

But, he didn't miss a shift. Which is typical of Ov.

So, I have no doubt that he is injured.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I was also at this game. For the majority of the game I was wishing I was watching it at home so I at least could fall asleep on the couch.

How does that team maintain a fan base. That game was more boring than a 1-0 preseason baseball game.... Ugh

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

They can only cheat on so many people at once. 19 and 92 need to burn them with short side snipes like they've been doing for over a month.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So I guess we can also play an eye-gougingly boring clog the neutral zone game too, if that's what the opponent wants to play.

But it doesn't mean I have to watch it. Being able to speed-watch via the DVR was the first star of the game last night. Whatever that was, it can't be hockey - because if it is, the sport is dead. I know the Devs and others have been playing this way for years, but our team really doesn't and having to watch it is like being forced to eat pre-chewed sawdust.

If we're going to have to watch anti-hockey, it would be more entertaining if the Devs would just shove all 6 players into their net and invite the opponent to take target practice all night. There'd at least be a Rollerball-will-they-all-survive dramatic element to the game, which is far more than you can say for that Tuinal of a game last night.

Seems odd that the NHL powers-that-be can't come up with more ways to discourage coaches from making the prevention of scoring chances by the other team the supreme and overriding dictate of the manner in which they play the game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So I guess we can also play an eye-gougingly boring clog the neutral zone game too, if that's what the opponent wants to play.

But it doesn't mean I have to watch it. Being able to speed-watch via the DVR was the first star of the game last night. Whatever that was, it can't be hockey - because if it is, the sport is dead. I know the Devs and others have been playing this way for years, but our team really doesn't and having to watch it is like being forced to eat pre-chewed sawdust.

If we're going to have to watch anti-hockey, it would be more entertaining if the Devs would just shove all 6 players into their net and invite the opponent to take target practice all night. There'd at least be a Rollerball-will-they-all-survive dramatic element to the game, which is far more than you can say for that Tuinal of a game last night.

Seems odd that the NHL powers-that-be can't come up with more ways to discourage coaches from making the prevention of scoring chances by the other team the supreme and overriding dictate of the manner in which they play the game.

The only way to force them to play hockey is to light them up on the PP. Make the score 2-0 or 3-0, then the Devils will go back to playing hockey and they'll be forced to open up the ice. Have Kuzy skate circles around them on the perimeter, let them interfere/hook if they need to and make them pay on the man advantage. I was hoping we would get another goal after Vrana's to open the floodgates, but it never came.

I loved it when Nicky organised a trap and gave them a taste of their own medicine when he blew up Hall.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Boring game but seriously the Devils have no talent. The way they hyped up Miles Wood then showed his whopping 8 goals on the season. Aside from Hall,Palmieri and old man Cam there is literally no threat.

Boring but I understand where their coach is coming from with that game plan. Look at that 4 min PP. No trap but it was still lousy I think they had one shot.

I'm kind of mad at the Devils for not hitting 20 shots because now I can't get my free sandwich at Roy Rogers lol.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Vrana looks like he's 15

Andre+Burakovsky+NHL+Draft+Portraits+fBZ9wqG-cI_l.jpg

2010+NHL+Entry+Draft+Portraits+et9YX-BXtFwl.jpg

Jakub+Vrana+2014+NHL+Draft+Portraits+UYWoP_6sHXNl.jpg

Man it must feel like crap to get dominated by that line at the NHL level. They all look like kids. :laugh:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Send tape of the entire game to Guantanamo, after a few watchings may prove to be a more effective enhanced interrogation technique then anything that has been previously used.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I'm okay with rolling 4 lines in the regular season but the third line better get more minutes in the postseason than they have been getting recently. They are too good to be getting less than 10 minutes.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm okay with rolling 4 lines in the regular season but the third line better get more minutes in the postseason than they have been getting recently. They are too good to be getting less than 10 minutes.

Yeah, when Connolly & Vrana generate the best shot-differential, basically, in the least 5-on-5 minutes, it looks... not optimal.

In Trotz's defense, it's understandable that he doesn't yet trust Vrana, esp. in a tight game, hence that whole line's TOI suffers. Not that they were getting huge ice-time with Bura... Dunno, let's hope they force him to change his mind...

Or maybe... Beagle is too much of a favorite and GMBM needs to trade him to force a more effective ice-time allocation. Treason?! Drama! Let's make the 3rd line great again!

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Send tape of the entire game to Guantanamo, after a few watchings may prove to be a more effective enhanced interrogation technique then anything that has been previously used.

No......please!!!.......not the Devils.......waterboard me, go for the nails, anything but this :cry:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I get the inclination to not trust Vrana quite yet defensively and small sample size caveats apply, but he's performed extremely well in limiting the opposition. His ranks on the team amongst forwards are:

Goals against/60: 1st
Expected goals against/60: 1st
Shot attempts against/60: 1st
Unblocked shot attempts against/60: 7th

If everyone's healthy I don't see Vrana in the lineup, but if say Burakovsky or Oshie have to miss a playoff game and Vrana slots into the third line I'd hate to see Trotz reduce the whole line's ice time simply because Vrana's a rookie. His defensive game has been highly polished so far IMO. I know he was asked to play more of a two-way game at the beginning of the season and preseason and so far he has delivered. I'd like to see him get more minutes along with the rest of the third line because while he's certainly not as polished offensively as Burakovsky, he doesn't look out of place like Sanford did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad