Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Coyotes Oct 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Interesting that none of the rookies really played in this game

Lavy leaned on the vets big time. They looked winded every time they got back to the bench. 24 min of ice time for Ovi, versus 11 for CMM and 9 for Lapierre.

That's my only concern moving forward, the depth guys like Mantha or Sprong need to step it up a notch and start putting pucks in to earn their ice time.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's playing on the shutdown line, not like they are expecting him to score bunch. Hardly ever you see any skilled players playing on those lines.
Except he is not a shutdown guy. When I was talking about being the least talented player on the team I was including defensive play.
If you have ever read my posts you would know that I like players that are good 2 way players. Hathaway isn't very good at either end of the ice.
Way below average offensively. Maybe average defensively. His line mates Dowd and Hagelin are both decent defensively.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lavy leaned on the vets big time. They looked winded every time they got back to the bench. 24 min of ice time for Ovi, versus 11 for CMM and 9 for Lapierre.

That's my only concern moving forward, the depth guys like Mantha or Sprong need to step it up a notch and start putting pucks in to earn their ice time.
I thought Mantha was ok in this game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sprong is a waste of time. Mantha has 5 pts. What really surprised me was Fehervary only playing 14. Lavy clearly didnt want a mistake from a kid that ended up in their net

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Except he is not a shutdown guy. When I was talking about being the least talented player on the team I was including defensive play.
If you have ever read my posts you would know that I like players that are good 2 way players. Hathaway isn't very good at either end of the ice.
Way below average offensively. Maybe average defensively. His line mates Dowd and Hagelin are both decent defensively.
if you've ever heard him speak about his game, he'd proabably agree with you inre: his talent level. but he chips in offensively, stands up for his teammates, is a solid pest. he, Dowd, and Hags were arguably the best 4th line in the league and often the best line on the team last season. he must be doing something right. what an odd guy to gripe about.

Last edited:
Reactions: txpd and Corby78

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This is not a recipe for success going forward.
not sure what you're saying. a bunch of guys had 1 or 2 shots. 4 rookies in the lineup. 3 starters out injured. franked-lines all over the place. Only Ovie had more than 2 shots and there was a total of goal scored on a net minder all game. happens sometimes in hockey. i would take too much from it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
if you've ever heard him speak about his game, he's proabably agree with you ire: his talent level. but he chips in offensively, stands up for his teammates, is a solid pest. he, Dowd, and Hags were arguably the best 4th line in the league and often the best line on the team last season. he must be doing something right. what an odd guy to gripe about.
He chips in offensively? He hasn't this season. He is average defensively and takes dumb penalties.
He doesn't really belong in the NHL.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah but he needs to score already. He doesn't have a whole lot going on out there if he doesn't get good looks on net. My concern is that the top line has supplied over 50% of all the production so far, that can't be expected to last forever
I agree. I'd like to see more production out of him. But atleast he plays a bit of defence and can be physical at times.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sprong is a waste of time. Mantha has 5 pts. What really surprised me was Fehervary only playing 14. Lavy clearly didnt want a mistake from a kid that ended up in their net
Sprong had one of the Caps best chances all night (shot off the rush high blocker side).

Mantha did a whole lot of nothing tonight, but so did the team as a whole.

Fehervary didn't have a ton of time because the Caps had 6 powerplays, and he's not going to get PP time as a left shooting D anytime soon. Plus his partner was out there on all those PPs, so it's not exactly like Lavi is going to trot the 42/74 pairing out right as the PP expires. Carlson actually played slightly less ESTOI than Fehervary did. Insisting that Fehervary is prone to mistakes is rather out of touch.

Lavy's refusal to use CMM and Lappy on the PP despite the PP flubbing around doing nothing is the bigger ice time story.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
BTW people Samsonov got a shutout. One of the easiest games I've seen for a goalie in a long time.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Sprong had one of the Caps best chances all night (shot off the rush high blocker side).

Mantha did a whole lot of nothing tonight, but so did the team as a whole.

Fehervary didn't have a ton of time because the Caps had 6 powerplays, and he's not going to get PP time as a left shooting D anytime soon. Plus his partner was out there on all those PPs, so it's not exactly like Lavi is going to trot the 42/74 pairing out right as the PP expires. Carlson actually played slightly less ESTOI than Fehervary did. Insisting that Fehervary is prone to mistakes is rather out of touch.

Lavy's refusal to use CMM and Lappy on the PP despite the PP flubbing around doing nothing is the bigger ice time story.

It gives us a chance to watch Conor Sheary work his magic on the PP.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad