Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
wasant pretty much everyone saying who cares about picks right now? now its why did he trade picks?

Seriously? Two different arguments.

1) Yes, picks don't help the team win today

2) Picks are still valuable. Doesn't mean throw them away.

Giving credit to GMBM for paying through the nose to get rid of Panik when it was his signing in the first place is asinine. It's a negative overall, no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: Pomee and fniss

Jun 15, 2007
Absolutely nobody could have predicted we'd have a worldwide pandemic causing a flat cap, you can't blame GMBM for that. Look at the Canucks, we could have it a lot worse.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the pandemic. Panik sucks for the money, regardless of how much the salary cap is at right now.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Man, all the feels with this one. Mantha is a beast and will be a great fit for how the Caps play. Sucks that they had to pay to get rid of Panik's contract. Sucks seeing another young, homegrown talent jettisoned, especially one as likable as Jake. A few years ago, who would have thought both Bura and V would have been gone? The NHL is a tough business. I do think they're a better team today than they were yesterday but no doubt that the price is tough to swallow.
I was gonna say something, but this covers everything for me. Well said.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Easy to wax poetic about shoulda coulda on contracts when the cap was set to rise with a new TV deal. No one could have predicted a global pandemic causing a flat cap.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Pro-Vrana:

For me, personally, I'm concerned with:
  • Whether Mantha is worth Vrana + 1st (assuming the 2nd was for them to take Panik)
  • The number of Wings fans and commentators who've been remarking such things as 'good chance Mantha will rebound in Washington'... has he been playing poorly? I'd feel a lot more comfortable parting with so many assets for a guy who's playing strong hockey rather than paying a premium for a guy trying to find his game (given that we've probably sold Vrana at a reduced value for the same reason).
  • That's a big locker room change this close to the deadline – both Panik and Vrana out, a Flyer and Mantha in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, somebody said something significant was coming. My guess is that Vrana had pooped the bed in house and that relationship was in a death spiral. looking at the deal, it wouldnt shock me if the trouble in house wasnt common knowledge inside the league.

I dont like trading the first.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Man, all the feels with this one. Mantha is a beast and will be a great fit for how the Caps play. Sucks that they had to pay to get rid of Panik's contract. Sucks seeing another young, homegrown talent jettisoned, especially one as likable as Jake. A few years ago, who would have thought both Bura and V would have been gone? The NHL is a tough business.

I'm sure our division rivals positioning for a playoff spot are unhappy about the move. Size and net presence with capability of sniping. Between Wilson, Oshie, Mantha, and Wilson the opposing goalie may never see the puck from the point and potential for lots of garbage goals.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The last 15 games Vrana has 1 goal 6 assists, only 12 shots

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think it's an exciting trade, steep price but we'll be fine i think. Mantha is a good player. Picks are picks, and it's probably a crapshoot draft this year where it's been difficult to evaluate talent. We also dump Panik, don't need to resign Vrana, and have Mantha locked up for a few years. We know what we have to work with to sign Ovi.

Vrana had 1 goal in his last 15 games, clearly didn't have the trust of Laviolette either. I hope he lights it up in Detroit, he's a fine player. I'm excited to see what Mantha can do here.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
dont forget mantha put up those numbers on a detroit team thats really not that good. imagine what he could do with backstrom

Reactions: 95snipes

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
its really not. the 2nd is to take panik
vrana and first for mantha
Vrana and a first for Mantha is an overpayment and a 2nd to take the Panik contract is as well.

Clearly you missed the teams taking on salary in the 3 way deals for like 5th round picks. They didn’t even get a player in those deals.

Reactions: Pomee

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
It has absolutely nothing to do with the pandemic. Panik sucks for the money, regardless of how much the salary cap is at right now.

How does it not? The pandemic is the sole reason for the flat salary cap because of reduced revenue. If that cap goes up, we aren't forced into making moves to clear salary. Regarding Panik, I think we can all agree he was overpaid and the term was too long, but that's easy to say in hindsight. He was actually playing decent hockey this year, he just wasn't scoring. If he's on 1.5m a year instead of 2.75m, it wouldn't be an issue.

Jun 15, 2007
I feel like this is overpayment by about a 2nd I guess.

2nd for eating Panik seems right.

Vrana +2nd for Mantha seems right too.

So assuming a late 1st= two 2nds, we overpaid by a 2nd.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I’m willing to wait and see on Mantha but I don’t even understand where he fits on the team.

Does he even slot anywhere on the PPs? I guess Wilson’s spot on PP2?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I like this deal for Caps.

a few questions:
1. Mantha has to quarantine for 7 days now right?

2. what kind of lineup do you see with Mantha and potentially Raffl in the lineup?

Thanks

illpucks

May 26, 2011
WTF is this? Vrana is future of this team and the best player on the team with an aging Back/Ovi and an underperforming Kuzy. Why?????

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The reaction here is so polarizing I'm confused. Mac is definitely not a wizard for this, he overpaid by a 2nd rounder if you ask me. But it's also not a robbery. It's for sure an exciting trade though. I love that lol.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Vrana and a first for Mantha is an overpayment and a 2nd to take the Panik contract is as well.

Clearly you missed the teams taking on salary in the 3 way deals for like 5th round picks. They didn’t even get a player in those deals.
I don't think you're giving enough credit to the fact that Mantha is signed to a bargain deal for three more years after this one. Jake is an upcoming RFA and with their cap situation I bet they were nervous about his next contract.

The price is steep no doubt but this is not about trying to save 25% retention for a rental. This is a 26-year old top line forward signed to a good deal.

Also I imagine BMac had his fill of talented but mentally fragile players after dealing with Burakovsky. He is trying to win a Cup now and wasn't going to wait around to hope Vrana could figure it out, especially when Jake has been dogshit in the playoffs the past two years. I will miss him a lot and it'll hurt watching him flourish elsewhere and I get that 95% of Caps fans haven't watched Mantha play at all so it seems even worse but I don't really understand the sky is falling crowd.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
BMac is a wizard.
Haha I'm a big fan of the trade. But it feels more like a warlock using dark blood magic. It hurts, it kills (but oh... the power!)

Yes, it's a LOT to pay--and best of luck to Jake--but I absolutely think/hope Mantha is going to thrive in WSH a lot more than Vrana will in DET. And I also think/hope Mantha is going to thrive in WSH more than Vrana would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad