Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
When is the last time a team won the cup without an elite, Marner-caliber talent leading the way?
When was the last time Marner win the Cup?

Rather see what we have in our own prospects. Use the money to add a wing and a defender.

Marner reminds me of Gaudreau a bit.

Us bringing in Marner is like the Penguins bringing in Karlsson. A really bad idea.

Marner costs assets. UFAs cost us money. I feel like we are tap dancing until Leonard gets here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
When was the last time Marner win the Cup?

Rather see what we have in our own prospects. Use the money to add a wing and a defender.

Marner reminds me of Gaudreau a bit.

Us bringing in Marner is like the Penguins bringing in Karlsson. A really bad idea.

Marner costs assets. UFAs cost us money. I feel like we are tap dancing until Leonard gets here.
It's not either/or. Adding prospects and wise acquisitions through FA and/or hockey trades are the right formula. The mid-00s brought Ovie and then Backstrom, Green, Semin and periodic TDL, trade, and FA acquisitions like Federov, Oshie, Nisky/Orpik. It'd be extremely difficult for a team to contend for the Cup using one single route to improve. You need drafts/prospects, smart trades and in most cases the occasional FA move.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It's not either/or. Adding prospects and wise acquisitions through FA and/or hockey trades are the right formula. The mid-00s brought Ovie and then Backstrom, Green, Semin and periodic TDL, trade, and FA acquisitions like Federov, Oshie, Nisky/Orpik. It'd be extremely difficult for a team to contend for the Cup using one single route to improve. You need drafts/prospects, smart trades and in most cases the occasional FA move.
I agree with everything you said. I still feel like we are in the acquisition phase and don’t think we should rush.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
And that's why he will command top dollar in the UFA market.

If only the Caps management hadn't f'ed that one up.

Id figure he will get between 5-6,5 mills. I wouldnt mind bringing him back, but that means he is our 2C for the next 5-6 years. Is he really the guy we want to block CMM/Lapierre? Id kind of want the next top line C we go for would be 1C caliber, so Strome can be the guy who blocks the youth, with his pretty ideal contract for that.

About f’king it up. He wanted bigger role and we had Backy/Kuzy/Eller all in the mix and going strong back then, with a lot of term left. And he hadnt really shown it yet at that time to justify moving any of those 3 big names from his way. There wasnt much of a reason to force him to our bottom 6 and nobody thought it was anything much when he was traded. Sometimes these things happen and the circumstances in Vegas favoured him to make the next step. Great, it was the best move possible for him. No need to feel bad about any of that.

And lol at people downtalking Marner, and rather taking two Manthas or making ”untouchable” lists of multiple names. Marner is a 100 point player at his prime. There is zero names in our system who are untouchable for that guy, and it would take atleast 2 of our best prospects, good roster player and a 1st to top the competing offers and get the Leafs even consider. Only reason why we shouldnt strongly consider that too, is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and as where we are i cant see him not to test free agency. So i wouldnt trade for him without contract extension already in motion. And that being said, he is the kind of franchise altering player. Not only because he is good, but also because he isntantly raises our status for other ufa’s and whatever to sign with us, for a team looking to be a contender.

Sure Jagr was bad for us. But we should get past that already. A true all star player is what this team and franchise needs and getting one from trade is faster than losing 5 years to find one from draft. Anyways, i dont believe for a second Marner will get traded before the trade call is made. Its not the Jack Eichel situation where player wants out, and you just dont trade a guy of his calibre when you are in your contending window.

Also, its fun to play with the idea, but realistically there is 0,005% chance that a prime top3 player like Draisaitl or McDavid signs with us right now. Even if most teams dont have the cap room currently, these are the players any team will move mountains of cap no matter the cost to make it work. They have 32 teams to choose from.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Id figure he will get between 5-6,5 mills. I wouldnt mind bringing him back, but that means he is our 2C for the next 5-6 years. Is he really the guy we want to block CMM/Lapierre? Id kind of want the next top line C we go for would be 1C caliber, so Strome can be the guy who blocks the youth, with his pretty ideal contract for that.

About f’king it up. He wanted bigger role and we had Backy/Kuzy/Eller all in the mix and going strong back then, with a lot of term left. And he hadnt really shown it yet at that time to justify moving any of those 3 big names from his way. There wasnt much of a reason to force him to our bottom 6 and nobody thought it was anything much when he was traded. Sometimes these things happen and the circumstances in Vegas favoured him to make the next step. Great, it was the best move possible for him. No need to feel bad about any of that.

And lol at people downtalking Marner, and rather taking two Manthas or making ”untouchable” lists of multiple names. Marner is a 100 point player at his prime. There is zero names in our system who are untouchable for that guy, and it would take atleast 2 of our best prospects, good roster player and a 1st to top the competing offers and get the Leafs even consider. Only reason why we shouldnt strongly consider that too, is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and as where we are i cant see him not to test free agency. So i wouldnt trade for him without contract extension already in motion. And that being said, he is the kind of franchise altering player. Not only because he is good, but also because he isntantly raises our status for other ufa’s and whatever to sign with us, for a team looking to be a contender.

Sure Jagr was bad for us. But we should get past that already. A true all star player is what this team and franchise needs and getting one from trade is faster than losing 5 years to find one from draft. Anyways, i dont believe for a second Marner will get traded before the trade call is made. Its not the Jack Eichel situation where player wants out, and you just dont trade a guy of his calibre when you are in your contending window.

Also, its fun to play with the idea, but realistically there is 0,005% chance that a prime top3 player like Draisaitl or McDavid signs with us right now. Even if most teams dont have the cap room currently, these are the players any team will move mountains of cap no matter the cost to make it work. They have 32 teams to choose from.
Marner is passing the puck to Matthews and Nylander.

I see many reasons why people want to add Marner, I just don’t think we are ready to swing for the fences.

I could be persuaded to move CMM in some kind of trade, but not for a guy with one year left to UFA.

Lapierre is a special player. Give him some talent and play him top line minutes. Could be the cheapest 1c in the league.

Last edited:

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Stephenson is flying all over the Ice in this Vegas series and is a UFA. He's coming of an insanely cheap contract(I think it was a 2.75 AAV). He's not that old and has great speed.
I'm okay with brining him back for 1 season on cheap contract. Hits the mark on speed and can produce.

We are not winning the cup next season. Minimum requirement next season is more offense and more entertainment. Less blow outs.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Buyer beware on Stephenson. He's a great example of a guy who is a product of his environment rather than a player who actually drives play in a meaningful way. For that reason I don't think he's a fit in DC even if the awkwardness of bringing him back is set aside.

I have a feeling that some team is going to give him way too much and be disappointed.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe Marner is hurt but I don't really see a star there in the 'loffs. Decent two-way game (somewhat surprisingly TOR's second-highest PKTOI forward in the regular season) but he hardly seemed all that interested in G6. Matthews was out, Nylander had been slumping. He had a chance to step up and earn his bones. Perhaps tonight he will but he just doesn't seem like That Guy.

Reactions: tycoonheart

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I dont think guys like Marner or Zegras wants to go to a rebuilding team like the Caps. Use half the cap space for first round picks and the other half for a lesser playdriver who can help with Ovis record.

Then, in like maybe 26/27 it's time to start chasing a cup again cause it's not gonna happen before that.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I dont think guys like Marner or Zegras wants to go to a rebuilding team like the Caps. Use half the cap space for first round picks and the other half for a lesser playdriver who can help with Ovis record.

Then, in like maybe 26/27 it's time to start chasing a cup again cause it's not gonna happen before that.
Marchessault also another good name out there.

Some 30 goal guys out there.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017

Marchessault would be a good get, but he's headed into his age 34 season and is likely going to try to get one last big contract and it doesn't make sense for us to give it to him as we're trying to get younger. Someone is probably going to offer him 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Tyler Bertuzzi
Teuvo T.
Tyler Toffoli
Sorry but they’re all on the wrong side of 30 years old or close to it.

Zebras would rather stay in Anaheim? Really?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Sorry but they’re all on the wrong side of 30 years old or close to it.

Zebras would rather stay in Anaheim? Really?
Yeah they're on an upwards trajectory compared us and will probably be above us in the standings next year.

Yeah he might actually, given age etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad