Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Appears that Oshie only addressed his back injuries and broken hand but there's his concussion history as well which I would think should be the greatest concern. Not sure how many concussions he has had during his career, but I found a 2018 article that listed it at five at that time and we know that he's had more since. He lossed his father to Alzheimers, so would imagine that his cognitive abilities going forward should be a concern.

Oshie's jersey should hang from the Verizon Center rafters at some point, but there's life after hockey and he should enjoy it and get back to golfing.
I think his back is the greatest concern for him. It impacts him every day in everything it sounds like. Fans are more focused on the concussions IMO, and sure they’re bad, but he’s never shown that he’s been one to have longterm ongoing debilitating after effects.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I mean I'd pull the trigger from a Caps POV.

That being said I'd probably omit Kuemper from the deal since I don't think Toronto would want him. Maybe Wilson + Jensen/TVR for Marner extended? It's neutral from a cap POV, Toronto gets a defenseman, and they get the UNICORN
Wilson going to the Leafs, I think the league would let up on him. Wilson style would be a welcoming and player the Leafs haven't had since Wendell Clark!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Oshie saying he has to lay on the floor and piss in water bottles is the 1st time I thought hes going to retire. That sounds awful.
He got to 1000 games, and they made the playoffs (something unlikely next year). I don’t know what else he has to prove or play for - other than the love of the game.

Hard to imagine him putting his body through another season of this hell. Though, I know those ablations he had done on his back can be repeated ~ every 6 mos., cause the nerves grow back. Anyways, not exactly sure what they have to do to paper up an LTIRe - but quotes like these sound like the first step.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Want nothing to do with Marner, he sounds like a locker room cancer prima donna with no heart, RS points be damned; the Anti-Oshie
There is a messed up culture in that Leafs locker room. If you really think it's just Marner, then you don't really know what can go wrong in a locker room. Marner is 26, so maybe he hasn't matured yet? That Leafs locker room lacks a lot of needed vet leadership. Tavares is supposed to be the leader on that team as he's the captain and he isn't captain worthy. Matthews, is an A captain, but he's just a highly skilled flashy player that mostly puts up points when it doesn't matter. The Leafs have a coach Keefe, that is in same boat as Woodcroft was with the Oilers. In over his head and let's the prisoners run the jail/patients run the asylum! Caps have a far better culture and less media pressure than the Leafs. So the way I see it, Marner would actually get a chance to mature here and not fester like a young idiot with the rest of the Leafs roster. I bet ya, Marner would far welcome and be motivated playing for Carbery, then he would for Sheldon Keefe!

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
What's great about it? If he truly had some great system, they'd show some ability to play above their heads. They'd be more than the sum of their parts. But they're just not. Occasionally somebody makes a heroic individual effort like Lappy did last night, but for the most part they can't get pucks on net and score goals. They were 15% less effective than last year's team, which nobody was happy with.

I'm open to hearing the other side, but I watched them all year and I didn't see many hints of a great offensive system.
This is exactly what everyone said they were this year. The were supposed to be a lottery team dude.

Reactions: Cappy76

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
There is a messed up culture in that Leafs locker room. If you really think it's just Marner, then you don't really know what can go wrong in a locker room. Marner is 26, so maybe he hasn't matured yet? That Leafs locker room lacks a lot of needed vet leadership. Tavares is supposed to be the leader on that team as he's the captain and he isn't captain worthy. Matthews, is an A captain, but he's just a highly skilled flashy player that mostly puts up points when it doesn't matter. The Leafs have a coach Keefe, that is in same boat as Woodcroft was with the Oilers. In over his head and let's the prisoners run the jail/patients run the asylum! Caps have a far better culture and less media pressure than the Leafs. So the way I see it, Marner would actually get a chance to mature here and not fester like a young idiot with the rest of the Leafs roster. I bet ya, Marner would far welcome and be motivated playing for Carbery, then he would for Sheldon Keefe!
That's an 11 Million dollar gamble I want no part of, let CHI or ANA etc take the chance
He's shown in pressers he takes no responsibility for anything, his glove throwing tantrum the latest in a long line

Matthews, Tavares and Willylander all have their issues too, but players who don't own up and accept responsibility I don't want infecting an entire team (how much of that is 100 true I can't say for sure, and I don't want WSH to find out)

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
If Oshie is regularly lying on the floor peeing in bottles i really want him to retire. Take an assistant job and teach the kids but there's nothing in the Caps 24-25 season that's worth debilitating chronic back pains.

I was honestly a bit worried watching him these playoffs.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Oshie is regularly lying on the floor peeing in bottles i really want him to retire. Take an assistant job and teach the kids but there's nothing in the Caps 24-25 season that's worth debilitating chronic back pains.

I was honestly a bit worried watching him these playoffs.
Has Oshie ever heard of sitting down on a toilet to pee?! I deal with it with my 80 year old dementia father, but common Oshie is only 37 years old! Either he has a pride issue sitting on a toilet or he's over dramatizing the situation.

Just saw this tweet. Marner has been at a 100 point pace the past 4 seasons.

Thanks for already pointing out what I just said about Marner! :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: twabby

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Man some of the comments of Marner reminds me of the crap some around these boards would say about Ovi and Backstrom in 2013/2014/2015

They’re no heart, no compete losers until they finally win!

Reactions: koalabear9301

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I expect they'll take a run at Sam Reinhart.

My long-held fantasy has been trading for Draisaitl, which probably won't happen but would also fit the 40G/100P parameter.

There are only like a dozen guys at that threshold (most of whom aren't available) and like a dozen guys with the potential to get there. It's a very specific label that Carbery used multiple times in his presser, so I tend to think there's something to that.

Draisaitl, Marner, Reinhart... all prime targets IMO.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Man some of the comments of Marner reminds me of the crap some around these boards would say about Ovi and Backstrom in 2013/2014/2015

Ironically, they point to a "warrior" like Oshie ignoring that it was verbatim the same things said about him prior to coming here. Maybe a little less on the prima donna, but a playoff choker who didn't have the grit or ability to get it done in the playoffs.

Some hot comments from when he was traded.
1714516906191.png
1714516949186.png
1714516965822.png

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

That is why you have older players that mentored/showed leader towards the younger players. Knuble, Fedorov, Kozlov, Clark, Oshie, Ovechkin now, Backstrom before the hip issues, etc. That Leafs team needs a lot of vet leadership, and they don't have it. It starts with who the coach is and trickles down to the players.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I expect they'll take a run at Sam Reinhart.

My long-held fantasy has been trading for Draisaitl, which probably won't happen but would also fit the 40G/100P parameter.

There are only like a dozen guys at that threshold (most of whom aren't available) and like a dozen guys with the potential to get there. It's a very specific label that Carbery used multiple times in his presser, so I tend to think there's something to that.

Draisaitl, Marner, Reinhart... all prime targets IMO.
Reinhart is a bit buyer beware. A big chunk of his goals scored come from the PP. No way the Oilers will let Draisaitl end up with another team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Has Oshie ever heard of sitting down on a toilet to pee?! I deal with it with my 80 year old dementia father, but common Oshie is only 37 years old! Either he has a pride issue sitting on a toilet or he's over dramatizing the situation.
What the f*** are you talking about? He didn't say he had to lie down to piss all the time. He said something about pissing in bottles while on the ground. I interpret that to mean he was in so much pain at some point he couldn't get up, and had to grab a nearby bottle to piss because he couldn't get to the bathroom.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also for anyone who has ever had back pain: sitting down and getting up from a sitting position can be unbearable. I use a standing desk at home precisely because it hurts my back if I sit too long.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
What the f*** are you talking about? He didn't say he had to lie down to piss all the time. He said something about pissing in bottles while on the ground. I interpret that to mean he was in so much pain at some point he couldn't get up, and had to grab a nearby bottle to piss because he couldn't get to the bathroom.
If someone's back is that bad of a shape, there are options like a wheelchair or using a 2-handed walker! I know what I'm talking about. My dad is 80 years old, has a hard time walking because he has terrible balance. When that happens it's an indicator the persons back can't support the person well anymore.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If someone's back is that bad of a shape, there are options like a wheelchair or using a 2-handed walker! I know what I'm talking about. My dad is 80 years old, has a hard time walking because he has terrible balance. When that happens it's an indicator the persons back can't support the person well anymore.
Dude we're talking about an athlete that throws his back out now and then, not an 80 year old man who needs a wheelchair or other assistance just to get around. jfc

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I recall somehow getting into my car with a back injury but being unable to get out once I got to the doctor. Didn’t piss myself though so that’s a plus

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad