Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I kind of doubt he's truly available but I'd look at Zegras. Higher ceiling and 23 years old.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Zegras is worth a look under the hood, simply because we are desperately short of high-end skill. But you can't try to grab him without fully understanding what caused his production and growth as a player to plummet. And if you think Cristall can become that guy, maybe the focus should be on developing him into a complete player.

The road to the NHL is littered with high-end guys who have been told they're extra super special at hockey since they were 6 years old, but can't or won't compete hard on both sides of the ice and without the puck. Sounds neanderthal NHLish and it is - but the NHL tends to expose (eventually) guys with elite skill sets and sub-standard work rates.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I agree there is something missing with Zegras, but I also question if Anaheim is just dragging everyone's numbers down. There's talent to work with.

I certainly wouldn't sell the farm for Zegras, but he's at least interesting. I like Ehlers as an option but I'm worried about how his game will age. Reinhart is going to cost a lot but I think he's going to be a high level player for a while. I haven't really thought about him much but my first thought is that I wouldn't hate the Caps going after him as a UFA.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
It crazy to see so many people talking about needing "Top end Talent". Or talking about trading our first seeing the player will be so far away from making a meaningful impact.

The team is so far away from making a meaningful impact. We could add Connor McDavid himself and the team is still a few parts away. Selling more of the future will not help this team.

The team has to bottom out if a long term sustainable future is to be built.

I do not want to see a win now move until the Kuzy money is off the books.

Let Oshie play it out or go on LTIR is he wants to.

Trade Carlson while he has some value left.

Purge whatever we can to make a strong push in two seasons.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Disagree. Unless those two players are top line around ppg players. Then agree:)

I think Jensen can be traded, McIlrath fills a bigger need now and is a lot cheaper. Both Fever and Sandin can skate but we dont have a "stronger than thou" d-man which is still a necessity for success.
One would need to be an at least pt/game forward.

The other would need to be a 40-50pt top pair dman.

2 really good players (it’s almost impossible to get great players without drafting them….mostly).

Reactions: alphabetical

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
One would need to be an at least pt/game forward.

The other would need to be a 40-50pt top pair dman.

2 really good players (it’s almost impossible to get great players without drafting them….mostly).
The caps really need that 40-50 point dman to be right handed because they've got to reduce carlson's minutes. The caps shouldn't be playing a 34 year old 30 minutes in the playoffs, and they shouldn't be playing him 26 minutes per game in the regular season.

There aren't many options for that kind of player, but they might be able to find a change of scenery trade or a cap casualty.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
The caps really need that 40-50 point dman to be right handed because they've got to reduce carlson's minutes. The caps shouldn't be playing a 34 year old 30 minutes in the playoffs, and they shouldn't be playing him 26 minutes per game in the regular season.

There aren't many options for that kind of player, but they might be able to find a change of scenery trade or a cap casualty.
Targets:

Hronek might price himself out of Vancouver.

Marner might be collateral damage if Leafs bust again.

Hayton is a buy-low candidate for top-9 C with high upside.

Chychrun is rumored to be available.

Zegras is intriguing but comes with some question marks.

What shakes loose in Carolina with all their upcoming free agents?

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I’m all aboard team needs high end talent and we should be using picks to do so. McMichael, Chucky, TVR are the only players we should be considering in packages. 24 and 25 firsts, all those seconds.

I’m also curious on reclamation projects of high end talent, such as Laine or PLD. I think for different reasons though both could come in cheaper than what their production would typically require. Laine because I think Columbus is ready to move on and PLD because of his contract.

Tanner Jeannot is another guy who could probably come in cheap. The 4th line has been quiet this series.

Chychrun seems like a perfect fit to play with Carlson, get some PP time in the regular season, and add production from a pretty unproductive defense. If sandin can take a step up in points too the d starts to become not suck.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't understand why this board is so eager to get rid of CMM. Dude had a solid season, his first full NHL season. Do we genuinely think his development halts and this is as good as he is gonna get?

Bura, Stephenson, Siegs, and to a lesser extent Cody Eakin... All of whom had shown something with the caps and we let them go. All had decent years with other teams.

For years we complained about not having good center depth and we finally do. Don't get rid of em.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I don't understand why this board is so eager to get rid of CMM. Dude had a solid season, his first full NHL season. Do we genuinely think his development halts and this is as good as he is gonna get?

Bura, Stephenson, Siegs, and to a lesser extent Cody Eakin... All of whom had shown something with the caps and we let them go. All had decent years with other teams.

For years we complained about not having good center depth and we finally do. Don't get rid of em.
I will say that the idea of running Storme - Lapierre - McMichael for the next 4 years is attractive, all 3 lack the high upside that the Caps need. The fact that we are STILL relying on a geriatric Ovechkin to score 30 goals for us and lead the Caps in goal scoring is the problem. Also the fact that 31 goals led the team....

Atleast for me I think having both him and Lapierre is a bit redundant, I think they have a ton of similarities but ultimately I think Lapierre has a little bit more offense to his game. They mentioned it on the broadcast last night that if Ovi and Carlson aren't going who is going to score? I like McMichael but the Caps desperately need higher end talent than what he can provide.

I think Connor is going to be a slighlty better player than what Lars Eller was, which is a great 3C on a good team. Some teams in contention would find that valuable, especially with cost control to him.

What other trade chips do the Caps have, Connor plus a 1st is going to be a pretty attractive package. I think if he can be used to upgrade at center or bring in a 40 goal winger you pull the trigger, his production can be replaced in free agency maybe even upgraded.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I think Connor is going to be a slighlty better player than what Lars Eller was, which is a great 3C on a good team. Some teams in contention would find that valuable, especially with cost control to him.
I don't understand this point. Mcmichael just put up 33 points this season, and that would be lars eller's 4th best point total. I don't see any reason to pigeonhole Connor as a 3c when he's only 23. He still has room to grow, especially if he got to play with wingers that can put the puck in the net. Hell, he produced well this year with protas and mantha, and they're not great wingers.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I don't understand this point. Mcmichael just put up 33 points this season, and that would be lars eller's 4th best point total. I don't see any reason to pigeonhole Connor as a 3c when he's only 23. He still has room to grow, especially if he got to play with wingers that can put the puck in the net. Hell, he produced well this year with protas and mantha, and they're not great wingers.
Yeah I mean I did say he was going to be a slightly better player than Lars, which would end up at 45ish points and being a great 3C. I don't think that is pigeonholing him I think it is realistic. Especially with how it currently stands on the Caps roster where Strome is the 1C (which I think is also a problematic reach positionally) and Lapierre definitely has a higher ceiling of the 2C meaning McMichael is your 3C.

The problem with that is 3C's are replaceable, and the Caps need to find 40+ goal scorers. McMichael is a great asset, young 3C with upside to play 2C, great on the PK and cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

He is an asset that can be used to upgrade the team and his role can easily be replaced via free agency, there are a ton of centers in the $3-5 million range. Mittlestadt's trade might be a little aggressive of a comp but I don't think that is too far off. McMichael plus a 1st is a damn attractive package to upgrade this team.

Reactions: Misery74

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It crazy to see so many people talking about needing "Top end Talent". Or talking about trading our first seeing the player will be so far away from making a meaningful impact.

The team is so far away from making a meaningful impact. We could add Connor McDavid himself and the team is still a few parts away. Selling more of the future will not help this team.

Both Kuzy and Oshie come off the books next offseason. The young guys are stepping up now, so I’d be all over adding high end talent to surround them and Ovechkin with. I’d prefer to add someone who can put the puck in the net, or a defenseman that isn’t over 30 years old and is able to play in the top 4

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Matt Roy is an excellent top 4 RH defender. Signing him will cost $ but I’d move Jensen/TVR out to accommodate. He can play heavy minutes as well

If we keep our current centers, then we need high end wingers with them. That’s why Reinhart is appealing

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Should Oshie come back next year?
$5.75 million reasons to come back, even if it's only to join Backy on the LTIR list and show up at team events. Despite all the talk about enjoying a healthy life after hockey (which, yes, is the right thing to say during interviews), I just don't think you can reasonably expect a professional hockey player to walk away from that kind of money, especially if LTIRetirement is an option.

I'd love to see a list of all NHL players (not just stars) to retire early due to injuries, leaving money on the table, in the last 10 years or so. I imagine it would be a short list, and involve smaller contacts. It would probably help temper some of our hopes/expectations. I could be wrong, though! Normally I like to do my own research and fact-checking, but I'm too swamped right now. Any takers?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
$5.75 million reasons to come back, even if it's only to join Backy on the LTIR list and show up at team events. Despite all the talk about enjoying a healthy life after hockey (which, yes, is the right thing to say during interviews), I just don't think you can reasonably expect a professional hockey player to walk away from that kind of money, especially if LTIRetirement is an option.

I'd love to see a list of all NHL players (not just stars) to retire early due to injuries, leaving money on the table, in the last 10 years or so. I imagine it would be a short list, and involve smaller contacts. It would probably help temper some of our hopes/expectations. I could be wrong, though! Normally I like to do my own research and fact-checking, but I'm too swamped right now. Any takers?
Oshie won’t leave almost $6m on the table, I agree.

I don’t think they will LTIR him though. Pencil him at 4RW. He could actually excel in that role.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Oshie won’t leave almost $6m on the table, I agree.

I don’t think they will LTIR him though. Pencil him at 4RW. He could actually excel in that role.
Oshie is our best RW right now, or Wilson depending on your preference.

I don't expect him to be our 4RW next season. Despite injuries he seems to perform.

Reactions: g00n

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
BMAC short term plan: jettisons Pacioretty and NAK once the season is over. Resigns RFAs CMC and Malenstyn. See if he can find a taker for Kuemper. Stephenson should replace Kuemper. See what he has at Hershey that can step in to the Patches and NAK positions for next season. Don't look at the FA market unless there are Strome/Milano type deals, otherwise leave cap space for waivers and other dumpster diving.

'25 TDL move Dowd and Jensen for picks. Conclusion of '24/'25, Oshie will have retired along with Backstrom as well as Kuzy's salary should be off the books. Between Dowd/Jensen departures as well as Oshie/Backstrom and Kuznetsov, looking at around 23 million cap space come the '25 summer. In addition as it now stands the Capitals will be drafting in the first round, three in the second and two more in the third that year. Not sure what the '25 draft class is considered as far as talent but keep acquiring draft picks and this will help. Some interesting UFAs in '25.

Leonard should be Oshie's replacement.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I think you move Jensen this summer, with a pick or a young'un, if you can upgrade RD. imo Jensen has been a significantly less steady performer this season than in prior years. Same goes for Dowd. Nice guy and so on, but age and road wear are showing on both.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
BMAC short term plan: jettisons Pacioretty and NAK once the season is over. Resigns RFAs CMC and Malenstyn. See if he can find a taker for Kuemper. Stephenson should replace Kuemper. See what he has at Hershey that can step in to the Patches and NAK positions for next season. Don't look at the FA market unless there are Strome/Milano type deals, otherwise leave cap space for waivers and other dumpster diving.

'25 TDL move Dowd and Jensen for picks. Conclusion of '24/'25, Oshie will have retired along with Backstrom as well as Kuzy's salary should be off the books. Between Dowd/Jensen departures as well as Oshie/Backstrom and Kuznetsov, looking at around 23 million cap space come the '25 summer. In addition as it now stands the Capitals will be drafting in the first round, three in the second and two more in the third that year. Not sure what the '25 draft class is considered as far as talent but keep acquiring draft picks and this will help. Some interesting UFAs in '25.

Why do you want to be Buffalo? Why do you want to go down the path of middling nothingness. This team, with next to no high end talent made it to the playoffs. Go get some talent and push the chips in for the next 2-3 years. With how good of a coach Carbs is, we are never going to be bad enough to get talent through the draft.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Preach

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
One side of the Caps fanbase

The Cool Kids Table - lets make splashes this team has some fight in them, we see the young guys we do have are progressing, now add to it and rebuild on the fly like the Rangers have done.

Other Side

Tighty Whitey Wearers- Lets be suck, draft in the 8th-14th spot for the next 5 years and hope that in 10 years we make the playoffs. Untuck your shirt from your tighty whities guys come on....

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009

I am 100% ok with that plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad