Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Go Boston to free Marner :)

I've always kinda liked Olofsson, he could be cheap short term secondary acquisition that i wouldn't mind if we have to be patient on getting a top talent ... at 28, he might be hungry too

Reactions: Calicaps

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Playoff teams that leave after underachieving in R1 will have roster decisions to make, as a result of introspection and/or due to salary cap constraints. Possibly a fruitful avenue for the Caps to find value even if it means giving up assets. Signing a FA usually means you give up assets by overpaying the player ... maybe it's better to partner up and swap assets, ideally with a team outside your division.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Go Boston to free Marner :)

I've always kinda liked Olofsson, he could be cheap short term secondary acquisition that i wouldn't mind if we have to be patient on getting a top talent ... at 28, he might be hungry too

He always seemed to score against the Caps prior to this season.

Reactions: Pigskin

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
So what, we need top 6 forwards, he’s the best one available. We overpay or we find the next max pacioretty

Cap going up and the old guys are rolling off, not too concerned about it
That would be a horrible deal. Overpay for a guy that just had his career season during a contract year. His shooting percentage was way over his career average and won't be replicated. Let someone else get dupped.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That would be a horrible deal. Overpay for a guy that just had his career season during a contract year. His shooting percentage was way over his career average and won't be replicated. Let someone else get dupped.
No it probably won’t be replicated, but last year he was below his career shooting average and still potted 31 goals. Even in Buffalo in 20/21 he was producing at ~38 goal pace.

With his deployment here he’s a safe bet for 35-40. Those guys cost a lot. Probably not 11-12 like I said but he’s getting $10 mil, I’d probably do it.

Or we can find the next Pacioretty or Mantha and have everyone complain about it! I’m not opposed to dumpster diving additions to be certain. But it’s become quite clear we need some difference makers. Reinhart is one of the few available UFAs that would fit that category for me

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Caps to carry a $2.04M overage onto their cap next season thanks to the Pacioretty contract structure. Between that and paying Kuznetsov $4M not to play for them maybe not the oodles of free cap space once thought.
Effective space $81,760,000 versus $87.7 million salary cap ceiling to spend.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Caps to carry a $2.04M overage onto their cap next season thanks to the Pacioretty contract structure. Between that and paying Kuznetsov $4M not to play for them maybe not the oodles of free cap space once thought.
A dash of cold water to the face of some who were salivating at summer free agency.

BMAC this summer say good bye to the UFAs (Pacioretty, NAK), sign the RFAs (McMichael and Malenstyn) and work hard to find a taker for Kuemper so that they can clear the way for Stephenson. After that give some within the system an opportunity for the Pacioretty and NAK slots. Otherwise, dumpster dive when possible.

Team's short plan should continue to be the march towards Ovechkin's goal record. Team's long plan is accumulate draft picks, preferably high ones over the next few years.

Reactions: Corby78

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
All this talk about trading away young, very promising players on favorable contracts before knowing full upside is a recipe for failure. A number of the Caps young players have consistently performed FAR above many on here's expectations.

CMM scored 18 this year. I would not be surprised to see him hit 30 or more as he continues to improve.

Save the FA powder to fill the gaps after one or maybe even two more seasons. With the possible exception of D - Chychrun next summer may be a great signing....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean... we already knew this right?

Their cap situation for the summer is still good. It's not NHL 24 -level good to bring in all the top guys but they should be able to get top-6 help and hopefully move one of Jensen/TvR and bring in another younger D. Perhaps even dump Kuemper if there is a taker. I see money available for that and there really isn't any big extensions to take care of.

Or are we worried that Backstrom makes a comeback?

Reactions: Misery74

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I mean... we already knew this right?

Their cap situation for the summer is still good. It's not NHL 24 -level good to bring in all the top guys but they should be able to get top-6 help and hopefully move one of Jensen/TvR and bring in another younger D. Perhaps even dump Kuemper if there is a taker. I see money available for that and there really isn't any big extensions to take care of.

Or are we worried that Backstrom makes a comeback?
I don't get this. Its not like our defence is that good, why gut it? For Iorio?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
After McMichael & Malenstyn get done I guess they're looking at around $9M to spend on a couple players as-is. They could make subtractions but we'll see about that. It's enough to add one player of note--perhaps two if Oshie essentially hangs them up--but perhaps that's about it. Hard to see them being even average offensively any time soon.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't get this. Its not like our defence is that good, why gut it? For Iorio?

To improve it?

Jensen turns 34 before next season start and he just had a really bad season. There were rumoured to be lots of interest in him at the TDL so i'd definitely look to move him. He's a guy whose biggest strength IMO is his skating, which will only go downhill from here.

He had a better stretch lately but i think you are forgetting just how bad he was the first half of the season. Advanced stat sites had him as our worst player until january and hockeystatcards for example still had him as our 4th worst player this season, behind Bear (Player assistance program), Kuznetsov (gone) and Edmundson (gone). If you can get a decent asset back and acquire a younger D elsewhere, i'd pull the trigger.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
To improve it?

Jensen turns 34 before next season start and he just had a really bad season. There were rumoured to be lots of interest in him at the TDL so i'd definitely look to move him. He's a guy whose biggest strength IMO is his skating, which will only go downhill from here.

He had a better stretch lately but i think you are forgetting just how bad he was the first half of the season. Advanced stat sites had him as our worst player until january and hockeystatcards for example still had him as our 4th worst player this season, behind Bear (Player assistance program), Kuznetsov (gone) and Edmundson (gone). If you can get a decent asset back and acquire a younger D elsewhere, i'd pull the trigger.
I'm all for that if possible.

I would have loved to get Hanifin. Not a young dman but its rare for a top pairing guy to become available.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
After McMichael & Malenstyn get done I guess they're looking at around $9M to spend on a couple players as-is. They could make subtractions but we'll see about that. It's enough to add one player of note--perhaps two if Oshie essentially hangs them up--but perhaps that's about it. Hard to see them being even average offensively any time soon.
I think we have one more year of being mostly inept before it turns around. But a lot is riding on Miro and Lappy developing, Leonard having a successful transition, and Cristall reaching his potential. If those things all go well, which is admittedly a big IF, we could start to become dangerous again pretty soon.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think we have one more year of being mostly inept before it turns around. But a lot is riding on Miro and Lappy developing, Leonard having a successful transition, and Cristall reaching his potential. If those things all go well, which is admittedly a big IF, we could start to become dangerous again pretty soon.
Cristall is easily the largest Q mark of that group. Big time.

The other 3 have what we could say as “good starts” to being what we hope they can be. Even CMM should be added. He almost potted 20. That’d be very Elleresque of him, if he can grow to a 40pt 3rd line C.

Caps are 2 really good players away from being a truly good team. That said, those 2 really good players are the hardest to acquire! At least they have a bounty of assets (picks) to work with.

Edit — caps have 11 combined picks in rounds 1 thru 3, in 2024 (5) & 2025 (6).

That’s a lot of ammo.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Bertuzzi could be enticing.

What’s the market on him? He took a one year deal, may have hurt his value a bit.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Cristall is easily the largest Q mark of that group. Big time.

The other 3 have what we could say as “good starts” to being what we hope they can be. Even CMM should be added. He almost potted 20. That’d be very Elleresque of him, if he can grow to a 40pt 3rd line C.

Caps are 2 really good players away from being a truly good team
. That said, those 2 really good players are the hardest to acquire! At least they have a bounty of assets (picks) to work with.

Edit — caps have 11 combined picks in rounds 1 thru 3, in 2024 (5) & 2025 (6).

That’s a lot of ammo.

Disagree. Unless those two players are top line around ppg players. Then agree:)

I think Jensen can be traded, McIlrath fills a bigger need now and is a lot cheaper. Both Fever and Sandin can skate but we dont have a "stronger than thou" d-man which is still a necessity for success.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I still like Lindholm If we can get him around Backstroms cap hit for 3 years I would be all for it.

And if you want to get a little crazy go trade for Johnny Hockey who might want out of Cbus and put them back together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad