Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We’ll use him next playoffs, after he’s won his Hobey Baker and championship.

But seriously, another year as a core player on a great team may do him better than a year in the NHL rotating on the 3rd/4th lines.
Dude was/is going to be an instant top-6 player…..he won’t be toiling on the 4th….

Will be interesting to see if he can beat Smith….

Reactions: Calicaps

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I see 6”0 190 online….let’s not pretend he’s too small to play now….
I don’t know his size but any games I’d watch he would take a real beating due to his play style and the fact that guys hate him. I’d see him get blown up like once a game at least

I’d be worried about his body holding up at the NHL level, so I’m not opposed to him bulking up a bit more before NHLers start taking runs at him

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know his size but any games I’d watch he would take a real beating due to his play style and the fact that guys hate him. I’d see him get blown up like once a game at least

I’d be worried about his body holding up at the NHL level, so I’m not opposed to him bulking up a bit more before NHLers start taking runs at him
You don’t think he’s got the situational awareness to not get blown up every game? Thats not what I see from him so far….he won’t have a long career if you’re right on that.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I didn't see him putting himself in bad spots that stood out. Or doing pest like stuff that enrages other players into drawing penalites. He just has a very high compete in the physical battles. Sure he has a relentless drive to the net and the stronger/older NCAA Div 1 dmen could battle pretty effectively (as one would expect) in the net front battles and look at how he still produced. I do see him just getting stronger in a top flight program in BC nutritionally and in the gym.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I see 6”0 190 online….let’s not pretend he’s too small to play now….

I guess he could wait….
I don't think I ever said he's too small to play now, I said it wouldn't hurt to add some additional muscle and get stronger so when he does eventually sign he's more prepared for those physical battles he seeks out. Let's be honest, no matter how ready he is, a teenager just simply isn't going to out muscle most grown men, especially not grown men who've been trained as athletes their whole life. Tom Wilson was the exception to this, but he was a special case.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Let's be honest, no matter how ready he is, a teenager just simply isn't going to out muscle most grown men, especially not grown men who've been trained as athletes their whole life. Tom Wilson was the exception to this, but he was a special case.
Leonard performed very well in strength tests on his draft combine, just as Wilson did. I understand it's against other kids, but standing out among all other prospects is still a big deal.

A bigger concern for me is him having to go from the strongest line in his league (with 2 players who were perhaps better than he was #statwatching) that is used to dominate the opponent to the Caps.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
You don’t think he’s got the situational awareness to not get blown up every game? Thats not what I see from him so far….he won’t have a long career if you’re right on that.
I think he’ll be fine but just seeing the silver linings in a return to BC, believe me I woulda been thrilled if he joined the caps this weekend. But it wont hurt him to return and he will be better positioned to make an immediate impact when he steps into the NHL

Reactions: alphabetical

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Feels like people are looking for excuses to be ok (in their own heads) with him not coming now….to each their own.

I don't think I ever said he's too small to play now, I said it wouldn't hurt to add some additional muscle and get stronger so when he does eventually sign he's more prepared for those physical battles he seeks out. Let's be honest, no matter how ready he is, a teenager just simply isn't going to out muscle most grown men, especially not grown men who've been trained as athletes their whole life. Tom Wilson was the exception to this, but he was a special case.

No you didn’t say it, you just implied it, adding bad data about his size on top of it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Strength tests are not the end all be all but they’re not nothing, either. Casey Middlestadt couldn’t do a single pull up at the combine and he’s had some issues adjusting to the league. Connor McDavid did six (but who needs pull-ups when you can skate as fast as a car) and Konecny won that year with 13 — I think one of his strengths to his game is his physicality and strength.

I once did 30 dead hang pull-ups counted off by my Gunnery Sergeant and could run 3 miles in 17 minutes and guess how far that got me in my hockey career?? (Spoiler: not far.)

Jun 15, 2007
It's bad that he didn't sign. He might still sign, but it's bad that he didn't. It might work out, but it's still bad that he didn't sign.

Everything else is a cope.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's bad that he didn't sign. He might still sign, but it's bad that he didn't. It might work out, but it's still bad that he didn't sign.

Everything else is a cope.
Come back inside, man. It's not safe out there.

giphy.gif

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Interesting note. Cutter G., and Leonard’s BC linemates all participate in NIL but apparently Leonard does not, per BC website. Here’s the link to Cutter’s NIL page.

I don’t think that’s updated. He has ads on his Instagram page

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone has said all year that they expected him to go back for another year if they didn't win the championship and his linemates wanted to make another run at it. Now that that's exactly what is happening, people are getting bent out of shape about it?
Yes we all expected it, that’s why we hoped they win this year. Sorry, people are human…we can be disappointed and still love the player. “Bent out of shape” is hyperbolic.

For me it’s about what he could have been next year, to surround Ovechkin with young legs w/elite talent and learn from a guy like Oshie who will be gone in all likelihood now when he’s here full time. I see a year of invaluable time lost next year in that aspect.

Last edited:

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
“Feels like people are looking for excuses to be ok (in their own heads) with him not coming now”

That’s an absolute silly thing to say and isn’t based on anything but a transference of your personal sensibilities and projection due his teammate demanding a trade

Until a reputable source gives any indication of Leonard souring on his desire to be Capital then there’s no reason to believe he won’t be.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for chiming in?
Ahhhh! We're all melting!

Save us! :laugh:

Anyway, back on topic. What was it? Oh yeah, Leonard. Senior moment there.

He's good. I'm ok waiting for him. Incentive for everyone to go deep again next season.

I don't get the Kuzy or Semin vibes from him, like when they dragged their feet in various ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad