Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I cannot stand BC hockey (sorry to those fans in this thread … but I am a UNH Alum ‘91), so I could give 2 shits about him winning a championship. Whatever.

I hope he has a great year though

Honestly I would have gone with Denver since I was accepted there years back but chose another school. I always liked North Dakota and Lake Superior State. I did root for Maine in 1993.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The one we might want to be more worried about is Chesley. haven’t heard anything on him so I assume he is staying at Minnesota.

This one worries a bit because there is no obvious spot for him with 5 RD (including Iorio and Bear). But Minnesota thinks they can win a national championship as well.

Chelsey sure would look good in Hershey for this playoff run!

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Which kinda leads me to believe they don’t want to say.
And it's not like they're biting their tongue to protect Cutter given that they pretty much trashed him in that very article you linked. The Caps run a much tighter ship than the Flyers do, so I would feel better about their ability to manage a delicate relationship as with an elite prospect.

The one we might want to be more worried about is Chesley. haven’t heard anything on him so I assume he is staying at Minnesota.

This one worries a bit because there is no obvious spot for him with 5 RD (including Iorio and Bear). But Minnesota thinks they can win a national championship as well.

Chelsey sure would look good in Hershey for this playoff run!
Minnesota had a situation with Logan Cooley last year where he announced he was returning after the season but then changed his mind and signed in July. So maybe their prospects are on a different timetable.

Reactions: DWGie26

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Honestly I would have gone with Denver since I was accepted there years back but chose another school. I always liked North Dakota and Lake Superior State. I did root for Maine in 1993.
Been to Orono. That was a haul from Durham. But man that was a fun atmosphere. Maine fan doesnt have much going on, so when the Blackbears are on their game, the whole state gets behind them.

But f*** Maine too. We had some epic battles with those f***s. Lost a lot of them, LOL….including the title game in ‘99…in OT!

They were GOOOD.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
2 years in the NCAA is ideal. Makar joined Avs after 2 years. As did countless others. I don't get what the issue is.

I would have loved to see him here already, but i can definitely understand his decision. I'm sure it was a tough one given the Capitals made the Playoffs after all. I was sort of getting excited to see him here already but i can definitely understand his decision.

He might be the best forward on the roster by the time he actually joins this team.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
2 years in the NCAA is ideal. Makar joined Avs after 2 years. As did countless others. I don't get what the issue is.

I would have loved to see him here already, but i can definitely understand his decision. I'm sure it was a tough one given the Capitals made the Playoffs after all. I was sort of getting excited to see him here already but i can definitely understand his decision.

He might be the best forward on the roster by the time he actually joins this team.

It's the Priskie emotion that makes a lot of us wary lol.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I mean... nothing suggests that he wouldn't want to sign here when the time is right. Pushing him to do one way or the other this early would only hurt the relationship. There is a reason Caps are considered a good and classy organisation and it's because they don't pull out shit like this to kids.

Are we really worried that he's going to force to stay in the NCAA through 2027? I'm not.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I mean... nothing suggests that he wouldn't want to sign here when the time is right. Pushing him to do one way or the other this early would only hurt the relationship. There is a reason Caps are considered a good and classy organisation and it's because they don't pull out shit like this to kids.

Are we really worried that he's going to force to stay in the NCAA through 2027? I'm not.

Yeah I agree.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Why do you have a priskie emotion? How upset were you that a 6th round pick signed elsewhere trying to find playing time? He's not an NHL player, and 6th round picks seldom are. Any emotional response should have been minor, and you should have let go of it years ago.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why people are hung up on that draft pick. A lot of players picked that late never sign with their draft club.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Why do you have a priskie emotion? How upset were you that a 6th round pick signed elsewhere trying to find playing time? He's not an NHL player, and 6th round picks seldom are. Any emotional response should have been minor, and you should have let go of it years ago.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why people are hung up on that draft pick. A lot of players picked that late never sign with their draft club.

I don't care actually, but there will be some fans. At the time, he was pretty touted as a prospect and made a choice best for him. Again, I personally don't care.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
19 year old having trouble committing to adult job. Stunning.

I get it. He probably has college and local mates (and possibly babes or whatever) he's not ready to leave yet. He has routines that will be disrupted (possibly for a 2 week stint in the press box with maybe a game here or there), good times ahead of him that will be lost, and so forth. You're only 19 once.

He might also paradoxically have a drive to go out on top, instead of just an aversion to change or desire to run back another year of what's familiar.

He can't even legally drink yet. We have to wait and hope he stays healthy. Changes nothing about his talent.

The only caveat is the legends on this team will be another year older, if some are even still here, and he may miss a chance to play with them. Instead, he could fill their shoes.

Way she goes, boys/girls.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
19 year old having trouble committing to adult job. Stunning.

I get it. He probably has college and local mates (and possibly babes or whatever) he's not ready to leave yet. He has routines that will be disrupted (possibly for a 2 week stint in the press box with maybe a game here or there), good times ahead of him that will be lost, and so forth. You're only 19 once.

He might also paradoxically have a drive to go out on top, instead of just an aversion to change or desire to run back another year of what's familiar.

He can't even legally drink yet. We have to wait and hope he stays healthy. Changes nothing about his talent.

The only caveat is the legends on this team will be another year older, if some are even still here, and he may miss a chance to play with them. Instead, he could fill their shoes.

Way she goes, boys/girls.
Yeah no problem with him waiting, but would be nice to see him in a Caps jersey when the team has its 50 year anniversary next year. Would help the team a lot for a playoff run next year aswell.

Will be hard to make it next year aswell, but I really like the development of some of our guys this year.

Alexeyev have really impressed with the extra minutes he have gotten the last 4 games after the injuries. Then you have Lapierre who have slowed down after his impressing stretch when called back up late february, but still play a very good two way game. Could see him having a 50 point season next year.

Also Protas and McMichael should be more able to handle a full season next year as they have looked a little tired at times.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
IMG_0050.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I just wanted him to get some time with Oshie and also help boost Ovechkin with some top end talent.

Still bummed today, but what can you do? Wonder how he’s going to feel in retrospect if they don’t win again next year…

Just hope he stays healthy until he arrives….

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The best spin is perhaps returning allows Leonard to develop a more efficient, mature power game off the bat. But passing up NHL playoff action, even in more of a depth role, is hard to fathom. It does make some sense to be closer to maxed out physically to hit the ground running and overall to arrive with a pretty fully mature skillset. The playoffs are also a very high level to get your feet wet. But unlike Gauthier it's not like there are obvious weaknesses. It's even being charitable saying strength is something he has to work on. It's more something that comes with time at his age. Part of it big picture will be picking his spots.

Overall he very likely could have survived NHL playoff action and, if need be, relied more on open ice skill than being a wrecking ball. I wonder if winning the Beanpot minus Celebrini/Hutson in the way will hit the same. Or winning WJC gold again (assuming they do). Or living up to expectations and winning the Natty. Expectations are going to be through the roof. How does Smith follow up a 70 point freshman campaign? He's got to be the overwhelming Hobey favorite. They're going to have a target on them and likely be able to speedbag teams. That's not necessarily great for development if arrogant habits creep in. They'll figure it out but as runaway favorites you wonder about managing expectations and just how challenging a task returning will be for them. They're now set up to pretty much need to run the table to live up to expectations.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I wanted him to sign because I thought the playoffs/NHL next season would be better for his overall development, I don't see too much of an issue about him signing although of course there are many unknowns.

Worth noting he did an interview with Smoking Al and the Ted Propaganda Network just 6 days ago:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I wanted him to sign because I thought the playoffs/NHL next season would be better for his overall development, I don't see too much of an issue about him signing although of course there are many unknowns.

Worth noting he did an interview with Smoking Al and the Ted Propaganda Network just 6 days ago:

Well his interview platitudes are NHL ready for sure.

Definitely seems like a good kid tho.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Again, that’s a reading of the tea leaves re: Gauthier. His camp hasn’t said dick about this whole thing. Maybe Gauthier is one of those guys that wants “to call his own shots” and buck the system. We just don’t know.

If he has influence over Leonard, then of course that could a thing.

I find it funny that the opposite side of this commentary is so “assured” of yourselves. I’m not assured of anything. That’s the issue. If you want to interpret nothing is there, you can. If I want to interpret that there is some possible smoke. I can.
The GM that drafted Gauthier was fired last March and briere was named interim. The whole regime changed in Philly.
The best spin is perhaps returning allows Leonard to develop a more efficient, mature power game off the bat. But passing up NHL playoff action, even in more of a depth role, is hard to fathom. It does make some sense to be closer to maxed out physically to hit the ground running and overall to arrive with a pretty fully mature skillset. The playoffs are also a very high level to get your feet wet. But unlike Gauthier it's not like there are obvious weaknesses. It's even being charitable saying strength is something he has to work on. It's more something that comes with time at his age. Part of it big picture will be picking his spots.

Overall he very likely could have survived NHL playoff action and, if need be, relied more on open ice skill than being a wrecking ball. I wonder if winning the Beanpot minus Celebrini/Hutson in the way will hit the same. Or winning WJC gold again (assuming they do). Or living up to expectations and winning the Natty. Expectations are going to be through the roof. How does Smith follow up a 70 point freshman campaign? He's got to be the overwhelming Hobey favorite. They're going to have a target on them and likely be able to speedbag teams. That's not necessarily great for development if arrogant habits creep in. They'll figure it out but as runaway favorites you wonder about managing expectations and just how challenging a task returning will be for them. They're now set up to pretty much need to run the table to live up to expectations.
I could see them splitting up that line, especially with a recruit coming in who is expected to 1 or 2 in 2025. Maybe Leonard gets some time at center, and with that crazy assed save the Denver goalie made on him in the final, you know he has a horribly bitter taste in his mouth. He can get bigger and stronger playing against 20+ year olds.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
There's still plenty to learn at that level for him. He'll be in contention for the hobey baker and he'll have a chance at the national title. He'll get a shot to be a leader on his team instead of a true freshman. He's still only going to be 20 when he hits the NHL of he comes out after next season. I actually like the move, no reason to rush him into the pros. I know he's a tough kid but he's really not the biggest of guys at 6' and 180lbs. Wouldn't hurt to add a little muscle on that frame.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

Ryan’s final comment about the Caps’ playoff push, “I can’t wait to be there soon.”

I guess “soon” is up for interpretation.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's still plenty to learn at that level for him. He'll be in contention for the hobey baker and he'll have a chance at the national title. He'll get a shot to be a leader on his team instead of a true freshman. He's still only going to be 20 when he hits the NHL of he comes out after next season. I actually like the move, no reason to rush him into the pros. I know he's a tough kid but he's really not the biggest of guys at 6' and 180lbs. Wouldn't hurt to add a little muscle on that frame.
I see 6”0 190 online….let’s not pretend he’s too small to play now….

Ryan’s final comment about the Caps’ playoff push, “I can’t wait to be there soon.”

I guess “soon” is up for interpretation.
I guess he could wait….

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
We’ll use him next playoffs, after he’s won his Hobey Baker and championship.

But seriously, another year as a core player on a great team may do him better than a year in the NHL rotating on the 3rd/4th lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad