Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
It is a concern. He’s passing on a chance to play in the NHL playoffs, and seemingly one of his “role models” (if you can call it that) just pulled the stunt we are worried about.

So that’s 2 items to worry on. I guarantee you, GMBM has thought about it.
It's only a concern if you view events entirely through the prism of an NHL/Capitals fan and completely ignore the idea that a kid can have ambitions in college hockey/international hockey that exist alongside and don't detract from his long-term professional goals.

2 sides to every coin. I welcome your thoughts, however there are some things to worry me, as a Caps fan.

Let’s see what Smith and Perrault do (unless they’ve already announced and I missed it)
I get it. I don't want to be unsympathetic. All I can say is I don't think this reflects on Leonard's feelings toward the Capitals whatsoever. There is no indication of that.

As to his relationship with Cutter, what Gauthier likely impressed upon him was how much better of a 200-foot player the second year made him. Again, that's something I think Caps fans should be excited about.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Something happened between the Flyers and Gauthier. No one knows what. But hard feelings developed somewhere along the line. The best way for the Capitals to avoid that sort of situation with Leonard would be to respect his wishes. Based on the wording of the statement released--with reference to supporting Ryan's "decision" and "desire"--there's no reason to think that's not what they're doing. Twisting his arm in an effort to get him to sign when he indicated he didn't want to would be the opposite of that.

Leonard signing shouldn't be viewed as a personal slight against the Caps. At no point has Leonard publicly indicated any issue with the Capitals. If anything he has spoken fondly of them. This has everything to do with the Massachusetts kid wanting to cement his legacy as a Beanpot champion, a national champion, a Worlds gold defending champion, and an all-time linemate with his best friends. And along the way fine tune his game and improve his strength the way he saw his teammate Cutter Gauthier do. Those are positive attributes that Capitals fans should be excited about.
This all sounds right to me. If they'd won the NCAA, I bet they'd have called it. But to lose that AND the Beanpot in a year when they won so much has to leave a bad taste. He has unfinished business.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It is a concern. He’s passing on a chance to play in the NHL playoffs, and seemingly one of his “role models” (if you can call it that) just pulled the stunt we are worried about.

Gauthier refusing to play for a screaming dinosaur like Tortorella doesn't seem relevant. Tortorella is notorious for being awful with young players, where as Carbery has just spent a season demonstrating the exact opposite. I don't see any reason to think that Gauthier's actions are an indication of Leonard's.

• Haha
Reactions: Wieters

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
It's unfair to assume every college player doesn't want to go to the team that they were drafted by, just because of a few. He likely wants to run it back with his long time line mates. BC fell short of some major goals this year and he's a Boston kid. He even said postgame after the championship loss "We're going to be hungry.". I don't see why he'd sour towards a team that respected his wishes to go back. DC is an amazing place to play, and players tend to love it here enough to stay long term

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Gauthier refusing to play for a screaming dinosaur like Tortorella doesn't seem relevant. Tortorella is notorious for being awful with young players, where as Carbery has just spent a season demonstrating the exact opposite. I don't see any reason to think that Gauthier's actions are an indication of Leonard's.
You are free to have that opinion, obv.

We don’t know why Gauthier ditched the Flyers. It’s total conjecture that it was about Torts. So while I can certainly respect your feelings, we have no idea how accurate that is.

We know Gauthier boned the Flyers. We know Leonard just turned down a chance to be an NHL top 6W *in the playoffs*. We know Gauthier has sway over the kid, and that may not be a good thing (or bad, but we simply do not know).

These things that we know may mean nothing. As you suggest. Or it may mean a lot.

We simply don’t know, do we?

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

2 sides to every coin. I welcome your thoughts, however there are some things to worry me, as a Caps fan.

Let’s see what Smith and Perrault do (unless they’ve already announced and I missed it)

I get where you're coming from, but I look at it differently. I see Leonard as a young man that is willing learn, sets goals for himself and others, while striving to be a winner. Of course I could be totally wrong, but this is the impression I get with this young man. I also understand some players in NHL history don't want to play for certain organizations. I certainly don't believe that to be the case in this situation.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
You are free to have that opinion, obv.

We don’t know why Gauthier ditched the Flyers. It’s total conjecture that it was about Torts. So while I can certainly respect your feelings, we have no idea how accurate that is.

We know Gauthier boned the Flyers. We know Leonard just turned down a chance to be an NHL top 6W *in the playoffs*. We know Gauthier has sway over the kid, and that may not be a good thing (or bad, but we simply do not know).

These things that we know may mean nothing. As you suggest. Or it may mean a lot.

We simply don’t know, do we?
Gauthier wanted to sign with the flyers last season, they wanted him to go back. In addition, the flyers were an even bigger mess at this time last year. Briere and Jones weren't the guys who drafted him in 2022. Jones was hired in May of last year and Briere was made the interim GM in March of last year. If anything, Gauthier is probably in his ear about how lucky he is to be drafted by an organization who's supporting him. Leonard always said college was something he relished.
Leonard said in early January. “The NHL is always going to be there, but I think college is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so you never want to rush out of there and just want to soak it all in and see what you can make happen here.”
Not sure how you think this means he might ask for a trade.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is there any other exhibit, or is that the the entirety of the argument? There are plenty of counter examples, almost too many to list here.

And I doubt that carberry will be nearly as big a roadblock as tortorella, so I just don't see how this is a good faith argument.

There's also Adam Fox, Blake Wheeler, Jimmy Vesey, and Kevin Hayes - all of which opted to time out their draft rights while playing in the NCAA and become free agents rather than sign with the organization that drafted them.

I'm not saying this is the path Leonard is going to follow, but you were specifically asking if there were more examples.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My preference would have been for an immediate decision to turn pro and sign with the Capitals, simply because it removes any chance for Leonard to opt for the Adam Fox/Blake Wheeler route.

That being said, returning to BC in a featured role is better for Leonard's development than what would have likely been a split season between the NHL and AHL, with likely limited NHL minutes. Moreover, the biggest selling point of Leonard has always been his intangibles, as many around here constantly liked to praise. From that perspective, it should be an encouraging sign to see him have the drive to return and complete some "unfinished business" (winning a NCAA championship) alongside the same group of teammates he's been playing with for a while now.
I really start to worry about that if a top prospect in college elects to go for their junior season since I can imagine a calculation to just go back one more year then become a free agent.

BC is going to still be good next season I do not think it is a negative going back. He was already in the PK rotation and already was the most defensively responsible on the all frosh line. I really expect getting a bit stronger will help him incrementally improve his finish (as funny as it sounds) because he could have easily had 40+ goals this season. Also will be back in the WJCs next year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Gauthier wanted to sign with the flyers last season, they wanted him to go back. In addition, the flyers were an even bigger mess at this time last year. Briere and Jones weren't the guys who drafted him in 2022. Jones was hired in May of last year and Briere was made the interim GM in March of last year. If anything, Gauthier is probably in his ear about how lucky he is to be drafted by an organization who's supporting him. Leonard always said college was something he relished.
Leonard said in early January. “The NHL is always going to be there, but I think college is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so you never want to rush out of there and just want to soak it all in and see what you can make happen here.”
Not sure how you think this means he might ask for a trade.
Again, that’s a reading of the tea leaves re: Gauthier. His camp hasn’t said dick about this whole thing. Maybe Gauthier is one of those guys that wants “to call his own shots” and buck the system. We just don’t know.

If he has influence over Leonard, then of course that could a thing.

I find it funny that the opposite side of this commentary is so “assured” of yourselves. I’m not assured of anything. That’s the issue. If you want to interpret nothing is there, you can. If I want to interpret that there is some possible smoke. I can.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’ll be less exuberant following him remotely next year that’s for sure….he lost the last game, the bloom is off, now I could care less if they win next year…just lemme know when he arrives at his real job, then I’m interested again.
interesting. I feel the opposite. I surely wanted him to join the Caps, but he's opted to go back to college. To me, that suggests he feels he still has important stuff to learn and achieve. I'm curious whether he's right, because that would suggest some admirable self-awareness--or not. And I'm curious to see what those things might be. If he's right, and there's really more for him to get from the college experience, then I'm stoked for the guy who would show up come next spring.

Reactions: alphabetical

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
If Gauthier is an example of anything, he's an example of the era we live in (player empowerment) and how college hockey draftees at certain programs and of certain pedigree have options and leverage. They have access to NIL money and sponsorships, can train to become better pros while enjoying the college life, and will be praised/supported by their school's fans/alumni as a hero if they return. The existence of that leverage doesn't inherently mean that relations will fall apart, but it can if it's not respected. It seems like the Caps respected Leonard's here, but that's just a guess based on the statement.

I cannot stand BC hockey (sorry to those fans in this thread … but I am a UNH Alum ‘91), so I could give 2 shits about him winning a championship. Whatever.

I hope he has a great year though
Understandable. But it's not about you or me. It's about the kid. And it should have been understandable all along why a kid would want that.

Reactions: alphabetical

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
There's also Adam Fox, Blake Wheeler, Jimmy Vesey, and Kevin Hayes - all of which opted to time out their draft rights while playing in the NCAA and become free agents rather than sign with the organization that drafted them.

I'm not saying this is the path Leonard is going to follow, but you were specifically asking if there were more examples.
Don't forget our prodigal son Chase Priskie! It's happened often enough that no matter what each side says publicly I'm always gonna worry a bit about college prospects until they officially sign.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013

Cool, 5 total players out of the hundreds that have gone on to their draft teams. I'll take those chances every time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If Gauthier is an example of anything, he's an example of the era we live in (player empowerment) and how college hockey draftees at certain programs and of certain pedigree have options and leverage. They have access to NIL money and sponsorships, can train to become better pros while enjoying the college life, and will be praised/supported by their school's fans/alumni as a hero if they return. The existence of that leverage doesn't inherently mean that relations will fall apart, but it can if it's not respected. It seems like the Caps respected Leonard's here, but that's just a guess based on the statement.

Understandable. But it's not about you or me. It's about the kid. And it should have been understandable all along why a kid would want that.
I’m not blaming Leonard for anything. It’s his life, who the heck am I to tell him how to live it? It’s totally understandable and I’m not branding him. Like at all.

I’m simply reading the tea leaves for myself, and I can see some configurations that alarm me a little bit….As A Caps Fan (not as a normal human, LOL).

Which I think should also be understandable?

And Gauthier could be exactly what you stated. Player empowerment. The NHL has a loophole that players can utilize. Leonard is no less a player than Gauthier, especially age to age comparisons. He’s no less unique. AND he seemingly looks up to Gauthier.

You’ve done a nice job of crystallizing the concern there, thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wieters

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I’m not blaming Leonard for anything. It’s his life, who the heck am I to tell him how to live it? It’s totally understandable and I’m not branding him. Like at all.

I’m simply reading the tea leaves for myself, and I can see some configurations that alarm me a little bit….As A Caps Fan (not as a normal human, LOL).

Which I think should also be understandable?

And Gauthier could be exactly what you stated. Player empowerment. The NHL has a loophole that players can utilize. Leonard is no less a player than Gauthier, especially age to age comparisons. He’s no less unique. AND he seemingly looks up to Gauthier.

You’ve done a nice job of crystallizing the concern there, thank you.
That's fair. This backdrop is just the reality now. And when you have a "perfect storm" of a player who is comfortable in their situation and would have teams tripping over themselves to sign him as a free agent or trade for him, I understand the worry.

But the Caps seem to be doing everything right that considered. And the fans have reacted well too. I don't think that's irrelevant when kids see everything online. Having a fanbase that prides itself on being toxic sludge like Philly can't help when hockey prospects can legitimately tell the teams with their rights to shove it.

With the Caps quickly giving Leonard their blessing to return and the fanbase mostly being cool with it, there doesn't seem to be any reason why Leonard would be upset with his situation.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I have no worries about Leonard not wanting to play for the Caps. Why wouldn’t he. Caps clearly want him, there seems to have been good conversation, we have a young coach who likes young players, and a well respected organization around the league.

I think this is nothing more than he is a competitor who didn’t win the two most important tournaments for BC (Bean Pot and National Championship). They have the pieces to run it back again next year.

I have been vocal about wanting him to turn pro but I have no issue with him spending another year at BC. If he goes back for his junior year, I might get concerned.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Someone posted this Philly article on why Gauthier refused to sign with Flyers. Not sure how credible the source is, but it does explain a lot of theories.

The question is what happened to make Cutter feel this way, which is something neither side has clarified. The Flyers seem to want the public to believe that they have no idea what precipitated the trade request, which is quite difficult to believe.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The question is what happened to make Cutter feel this way, which is something neither side has clarified. The Flyers seem to want the public to believe that they have no idea what precipitated the trade request, which is quite difficult to believe.
What i read is that it started with not seeing him as a center. Also kinda “forcing him” to stay another year. It also reads that he acted like a baby and didn’t communicate. then you have the Torts thing.

I’m not putting all of my faith in the article as I don’t really know the source. But Washington is a class organization. Flyers have been a dumpster fire for years.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
What i read is that it started with not seeing him as a center. Also kinda “forcing him” to stay another year. It also reads that he acted like a baby and didn’t communicate. then you have the Torts thing.

I’m not putting all of my faith in the article as I don’t really know the source. But Washington is a class organization. Flyers have been a dumpster fire for years.
Right, those are all speculated reasons. I'm just clarifying that officially, neither Cutter nor the Flyers have actually stated what happened. Even the closest sources to the Flyers have had to clarify that they're just still guessing themselves.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Right, those are all speculated reasons. I'm just clarifying that officially, neither Cutter nor the Flyers have actually stated what happened. Even the closest sources to the Flyers have had to clarify that they're just still guessing themselves.
Which kinda leads me to believe they don’t want to say.

But regardless, I don’t really care. to me it was more about addressing the concerns of Leonard going the Cutter route. I don’t have any concerns about that with Leonard going back for a second year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad