Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

FWIW. Otherwise you'd think we would have heard something already. Making the playoffs could sway him but would they promise to play him? Pacioretty would be the easiest player to sit but he'd need to get in some practices.

Propably a smart decision. Even though i would have loved to see him here already, he's ready.

I think we would have heard shortly after Cutter signed if he was coming over already.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Looking back 20 hrs...
Wow, we just caught a nice piece of Capitals History to add to the story of the franchise
Nothing like 2018 or anything but maybe fits in right after 2008 on the big spring run to qualify for 1st time in OV/Bruce era

7.4 seconds left with OV's shit-eating grin thru til when the camera is in the hall as they're all coming down the tunnel hooting and hollering is a joy

Glad in postgame they showed reaction of Alan w/Alexa and Johnny

So yeah, guess I'm still riding a high here :popcorn:

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Not good for his development to go back.
Says you?

Leonard literally spoke to Cutter Gauthier about the decision, who told him about how much coming back to BC for a second year helped him as a prospect. Gauthier is a significantly better prospect than he was at this time last year by any metric. I have full confidence Ryan will follow the same trajectory and be a better Cap for it over the long term.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Just stopping by (as a BC fan), but the primary BC Hockey insider is reporting that Washington actually offered Ryan Leonard a spot in the top 6 for the playoffs and that he was brutally struggling with the decision. Heard the freshmen took the loss in the championship insanely hard, as they've never really had to deal with losing like this before. Also, it is said that Cutter Gauthier had a huge hand in the decision. He stayed for the extra year and looked significantly more polished this year than last, went from one of our worst defensive players to our best, and it seems like the extra year definitely was worth it for him, and he really pushed for them to all stay.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My preference would have been for an immediate decision to turn pro and sign with the Capitals, simply because it removes any chance for Leonard to opt for the Adam Fox/Blake Wheeler route.

That being said, returning to BC in a featured role is better for Leonard's development than what would have likely been a split season between the NHL and AHL, with likely limited NHL minutes. Moreover, the biggest selling point of Leonard has always been his intangibles, as many around here constantly liked to praise. From that perspective, it should be an encouraging sign to see him have the drive to return and complete some "unfinished business" (winning a NCAA championship) alongside the same group of teammates he's been playing with for a while now.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
All I know is, I'm pumped for this team in the Ovy era has another playoff. Back in September I didn't think they would be in this position fighting more for a top five pick and it looked ugly early on. The losses versus Arizona were frustrating and painful. At one point before the TDL after one of those losses I was ready for them to sell big.

It's frustrating Leonard isn't coming, but it's his choice. I really do believe they should put Miro in over Patches. We watched in the regular season with Patches what he historically did in the playoffs. I admire his dedication to come back from and injury, but he's useless weight, imho. The team most likely wouldn't waited for the final game of the season if not for some dumb plays by Patches the final two weeks.

The mains are really hating on the Caps and severely smug as usual and I love it. When will fans of hockey learn it don't matter with the regular season and not get too cocky? Remember the Lightning fan in 2018 that kept up his posts on the mains about the Caps? He immediately quit posting when the Lightning were eliminated (Actually, I think he was a Jackets fan who switched to the Lightning that year). I think it's great to have confidence, but boy some of those main posters never learn. I have to remind myself that most of those posters probably weren't alive during some of those big playoff upsets in the past.

Unlike the Bruins and Florida series, I have goalie confidence in Lindgren. He should get the team MVP for the season and consideration for other NHL awards, although he won't win them. One thing about hockey is it creates a chance for guys from obscurity to make a hero of themselves and Lindgren is an example. AA's play recently is something I hope transitions to future success for him. Nothing is given and the Caps will need to work hard, so enjoy this playoff.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
My preference would have been for an immediate decision to turn pro and sign with the Capitals, simply because it removes any chance for Leonard to opt for the Adam Fox/Blake Wheeler route.

That being said, returning to BC in a featured role is better for Leonard's development than what would have likely been a split season between the NHL and AHL, with likely limited NHL minutes. Moreover, the biggest selling point of Leonard has always been his intangibles, as many around here constantly liked to praise. From that perspective, it should be an encouraging sign to see him have the drive to return and complete some "unfinished business" (winning a NCAA championship) alongside the same group of teammates he's been playing with for a while now.

I believe his compete level is one reason why he is returning to BC. Players take losing a championship hard and for guys like Leonard it is a burning flame inside to lose like they did. It's also great for him academically to get two years of college because he can work on the degree later when he eventually goes pro. In this modern era, there is so many options compared to a decade ago. As a Caps fan, I'm indeed sad he's not going to play in this playoff, however I understand his decision.

Reactions: Calicaps

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Just stopping by (as a BC fan), but the primary BC Hockey insider is reporting that Washington actually offered Ryan Leonard a spot in the top 6 for the playoffs and that he was brutally struggling with the decision. Heard the freshmen took the loss in the championship insanely hard, as they've never really had to deal with losing like this before. Also, it is said that Cutter Gauthier had a huge hand in the decision. He stayed for the extra year and looked significantly more polished this year than last, went from one of our worst defensive players to our best, and it seems like the extra year definitely was worth it for him, and he really pushed for them to all stay.
What about Cutter’s decision to force a trade by Philly? Did his second season with BC factor into this? Leonard already has GMBM walking on eggshells in his public comments.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I think Max has more in him than he’s shown so far, but I’ve acted like his Dad this year so take it with a grain of salt. With the exception of that one egregious turnover that cost us a game, I think his puck touches have been among the best on the team, and I think he sees the game well. If he steps it up a notch in the next 2 weeks, it would be important

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I think Max has more in him than he’s shown so far, but I’ve acted like his Dad this year so take it with a grain of salt. With the exception of that one egregious turnover that cost us a game, I think his puck touches have been among the best on the team, and I think he sees the game well. If he steps it up a notch in the next 2 weeks, it would be important

He and Milano are both shifty players who can make plays, but the mistakes have been backbreaking at times.

My whipping boy right now is Protas. Someone on another board called him the Jeff Schultz of forwards... he's defensively responsible but seems to have wilted. Reminds me of Mantha in terms of not using his size.

In the playoffs, you live and die by secondary scoring and it can't be just Milano and Dowd chipping in from the bottom 6. Guys like Protas and McMichael need to find the back of the net.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Exhibit A: Cutter Gautier.
Is there any other exhibit, or is that the the entirety of the argument? There are plenty of counter examples, almost too many to list here.

And I doubt that carberry will be nearly as big a roadblock as tortorella, so I just don't see how this is a good faith argument.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I thought Protas looked good last night. He was everywhere, and his reach created some really good plays.

He’s just really tall and lanky, and it seems like his body isn’t in “full concert” yet with itself. Which is typical for tall players. I think with a summer of really hard work, it will start to click for him! Protas is 23 (basically exact same age as McMichael), and I see growth curves for both of them.

Same w Lapierre. Huge part of our future, IMO.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Exhibit A: Cutter Gautier.
Something happened between the Flyers and Gauthier. No one knows what. But hard feelings developed somewhere along the line. The best way for the Capitals to avoid that sort of situation with Leonard would be to respect his wishes. Based on the wording of the statement released--with reference to supporting Ryan's "decision" and "desire"--there's no reason to think that's not what they're doing. Twisting his arm in an effort to get him to sign when he indicated he didn't want to would be the opposite of that.

Leonard signing shouldn't be viewed as a personal slight against the Caps. At no point has Leonard publicly indicated any issue with the Capitals. If anything he has spoken fondly of them. This has everything to do with the Massachusetts kid wanting to cement his legacy as a Beanpot champion, a national champion, a Worlds gold defending champion, and an all-time linemate with his best friends. And along the way fine tune his game and improve his strength the way he saw his teammate Cutter Gauthier do. Those are positive attributes that Capitals fans should be excited about.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Is there any other exhibit, or is that the the entirety of the argument? There are plenty of counter examples, almost too many to list here.

And I doubt that carberry will be nearly as big a roadblock as tortorella, so I just don't see how this is a good faith argument.
It is a concern. He’s passing on a chance to play in the NHL playoffs, and seemingly one of his “role models” (if you can call it that) just pulled the stunt we are worried about.

So that’s 2 items to worry on. I guarantee you, GMBM has thought about it.

Something happened between the Flyers and Gauthier. No one knows what. But hard feelings developed somewhere along the line. The best way for the Capitals to avoid that sort of situation with Leonard would be to respect his wishes. Based on the wording of the statement released--with reference to supporting Ryan's "decision" and "desire"--there's no reason to think that's not what they're doing. Twisting his arm in an effort to get him to sign when he indicated he didn't want to would be the opposite of that.

Leonard signing shouldn't be viewed as a personal slight against the Caps. At no point has Leonard publicly indicated any issue with the Capitals. If anything he has spoken fondly of them. This has everything to do with the Massachusetts kid wanting to cement his legacy as a Beanpot champion, a national champion, a Worlds gold defending champion, and an all-time linemate with his best friends. And along the way fine tune his game and improve his strength the way he saw his teammate Cutter Gauthier do. Those are positive attributes that Capitals fans should be excited about.
2 sides to every coin. I welcome your thoughts, however there are some things to worry me, as a Caps fan.

Let’s see what Smith and Perrault do (unless they’ve already announced and I missed it)

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad