Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't really think it matters but management clearly thinks it does, and they clearly think he's a leader. Otherwise he wouldn't have been offered that contract.

I think the recent suspension along with Tom Wilson's recent "why should I face consequences for my actions" interview kind of puts to bed the idea that Tom Wilson actually is a leader.

Ignoring the opportunity cost of not trading him (which was massive), it now comes down to whether his on-ice performance over the next 7 years will make that contract worth it. And folks, if this year is any indication I have a feeling it's going to be a rough 7 years.
Cop out. Your bias is hanging in the breeze.

Leave the leadership talk to people who believe in it, understand it, and have experience in it.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Many good goalies have had a down season and come back the next year and performed well. The mental game for goalies is critical. He deserves a chance this off-season to reset and clear his head. It's short sighted to not at least give him a chance to rebound next year, especially when we aren't up against the cap.
He sucked last year too

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He just was suspended for 6 games, during the playoff push. Hard to under react.

Its entirely possible the suspension was unreasonable and unjustified given the nature of the act, the result of the act and the length of time since his last infraction (which is codified into the NHL DOPS rules to be factored out when there isn't a recent event.

1 or 2 games maybe... 6 games was excessive. It was for reputation, not for the actual act itself.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Its entirely possible the suspension was unreasonable and unjustified given the nature of the act, the result of the act and the length of time since his last infraction (which is codified into the NHL DOPS rules to be factored out when there isn't a recent event.

1 or 2 games maybe... 6 games was excessive. It was for reputation, not for the actual act itself.
Disagree.

It was untimely and stupid. He was offered an in person hearing. He didn’t try and appeal.

Reactions: um

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The appeal process is a joke aren't most suspensions served by the time the appeal is even heard?

Also stupidity doesn't take a suspension from 2 games to 6
I don’t know the answer to your first question.

The game was over. When was this suspension 2 games?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I like Wilson most of the time, and when he's on he's our best 2 way forward and a physical beast. However the dude is clearly a hot head and often makes bad decisions. His latest suspension was brutally stupid and selfish, and I'm sure he knows it.

Debating the fairness of the suspension when Wilson has been doing this stuff for 11 years is so silly. Everyone knows the DOPS will come down hard on him, Wilson shouldn't be giving them any excuse.

I don't want Wilson to go anywhere, I just want a better version of Wilson that stays in the lineup. For fudge sake, we're trying to make the playoffs here.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I like Wilson most of the time, and when he's on he's our best 2 way forward and a physical beast. However the dude is clearly a hot head and often makes bad decisions. His latest suspension was brutally stupid and selfish, and I'm sure he knows it.

Debating the fairness of the suspension when Wilson has been doing this stuff for 11 years is so silly. Everyone knows the DOPS will come down hard on him, Wilson shouldn't be giving them any excuse.

I don't want Wilson to go anywhere, I just want a better version of Wilson that stays in the lineup. For fudge sake, we're trying to make the playoffs here.
Well said. There is nowhere for Tom to hide. He has lost the benefit of the doubt.

Score a big goal tonight Tom and all is forgiven.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Disagree.

It was untimely and stupid. He was offered an in person hearing. He didn’t try and appeal.

I'm a huge Tom Wilson fan and I believe it was untimely and stupid. It's hard for me to criticize though because hockey is a fast sport with strong emotion and a player like Wilson focus a ton on compete level they don't check the emotion sometimes. There is a time to pick the battles and in a playoff race that is the time. Give me a team of his compete level though.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Its two different things. He deserved a suspension, it was untimely and stupid - and its ok to call him out for it. He is the first one to agree with you.

And he also got more than what he deserved and it was accidental. And its ok to call DOPS out for it.

2 games would have been right, 3-4 game is kinda ok too if you want to throw the repeater card (though its over 3 years since the last one). 6 games is somewhat random. They were having a bad day at the office or something?

He should have appealed just because DoPS will use the lengthy suspension as a base to overkill again if something like this happens again. Even if it doesnt help this time, it atleast pushes them back to evaluate it through.

Well its water under the bridge now. Willy is back tonight. Lets have a good comeback!

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
So many mindreaders/behaviouralists/psychoanalysts here.

Tom Wilson may or may not be a "good leader". Very subjective term.

Him arguing that the suspension was harsh might be 1 or more of the following:

1. Whining ("bad leadership")
2. Creating a sense of "everyone is against us, LFG!" in the team ("good leadership")
3. A combination of the above.
4. Anything else.

The penalty was stupid and probably unintentional. But searching for leadership qualities (or lack thereof) in the interview about it is like reading tea leaves.

Besides, those who dislike Tom should be happy he was out. Those who like him can finally enjoy him again.

Now let's get into the playoffs so we can all whine in unison about getting swept!

• Haha
Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I dislike how often this player is suspended
Yeah but … I have a hard time w this argument.

Tom Wilson is who he is, and why is he so valuable, because he plays with some reckless abandon. It’s what makes him “special” that he can play that way, AND be offensive AND play PK, AND show good hockey IQ in his passes and shot making AND be a top notch fighter, skater, etc etc.

That’s why we (generally) love him, and most every GM would take him on their team.

But it also leads to suspensions. It’s all part of the package. Cannot take the good, without the bad.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know you can like a player and still be critical of some aspects of his game.

He just took a 6 game suspension with the playoffs on the line, he hurt the team. But to some Wilson can do no wrong and when he gets suspended, he's a victim!
When a poster is pretty much critical of the player all the time, that’s not liking a player in my book. He no victim and nobody is saying that….stop making shit up. The suspension length is at least debatable.

If a player on another team swung their stick like that and it hit Ovie - or (God forbid) Oshie in the face, knocking out some teeth, this entire Caps board would be screaming for blood.
2 games….thats what I would have called for….just like I did with Wilson.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Hopefully the team can step up again and make it. If not we are looking at a pick around 12-15 most likely. Unless Buffalo, Seattle or NJD finish strong and we are really bad the rest of the season.

Ive seen Helenius, Iginla and Yakemchuck ranked around the 12th-13th pick.
I feel like the first 13 picks are kind of consensus that will be top 13. Some players moving up and down, but most have.

Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Eisermann, Catton, Iginla and Helenius as forwards top 13. While Levshunov, Dickinson, Parekh, Silayev, Buium and Yakemchuck on defence.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
He sucked last year too
Nothing wrong with Kuemper last year tied 18th with Jarry at 0.909 in save percentage as the best goalies who did not make the playoffs and Pens was a better team than Caps last year. Lindgren had 0.899 last year. So all goalies higher than Kuemper where on playoff teams.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd guess the tail end of the top tier group ends up being Catton, Helenius and Eiserman but the World Championships (potentially for Helenius) and the U18s can still impact that. And, yeah, realistically finishing 12th seems about the lowest they're likely to slide.

Yakemchuk's season is over thanks to Calgary not qualifying and him being a late birthday (thus ineligible for the U18s). But I'd be surprised if a tall, productive RD slid more than those other three. Helenius isn't a great skater nor that big. Catton has size/strength questions and Eiserman seems somewhat immature. So I'd wager those are the three with the most blemishes. I guess Lindstrom now also has some real durability questions after missing almost the entire second half and then being in and out of the lineup in the WHL playoffs. But, again, his size should help him.

Reactions: usiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad