Speculation: Caps' plan on Defense?

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
All good points.

I’ve caught a few video feeds of Hershey games lately and have read their boards. It’s weird but Siegs really has struggled lately and most fans down there are frankly surprised he has received call-ups. Odd because his play looked fairly strong up here.

Jun 15, 2007
All good points.

I’ve caught a few video feeds of Hershey games lately and have read their boards. It’s weird but Siegs really has struggled lately and most fans down there are frankly surprised he has received call-ups. Odd because his play looked fairly strong up here.
Playing well, getting told to get an apartment and then being sent down due to roster reasons is really demotivating.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The way they handled Siege this season is really weird. Next year Maclellan has a lot of work to do with all those young defensemen in Hershey. Who stays, who leaves, who gets the spot on the main team.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Siege will be ok. Has to get in shape before September and he's 99% in. Lujo takes his place as next in line for call up.

More interesting topic is Djoos. And there are options for sure. If some team likes him he will be traded at draft maybe. Maybe he will sign at discount but he has a good chance to get more by other teams.

For Caps he's #6 at best after Jensen's extension.

And if Orpik says he wants to continue... Idk

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, but the reports from Hershey before he was called up consistently seemed to say that he was struggling.

I would suggest that the Caps sent him down with a specific plan for things they wanted to him to work on. Getting out of his comfort zone making plays with the puck. That he then extended himself past where his developed came ended and into an area where he would struggle and try to grow.

When called up Reirden put him back on a make the safe play plan.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Please just trade someone(s) for a center with top-6 potential. I dont care how it shakes out otherwise.
It will be tough to do that. Once teams draft their guys and if those guys are on a right development trajectory, it's tough to seduce them to trade those players for anything unless they get a sure fire NHL talent in return. A center with a top-6 potential would cost more than Siegenthaler/Johansen/Hobbs if he's not an underachiever on his current team.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
POTY?

I liked it. A lot :thumbu:

Lol. Seriously, what I was trying to say before I typed every other letter incorrectly (too much day drinking which is a rarity for me) was I was thinking Niskanen's biggest problem is he has played too many minutes. He has a lot of mileage and I understand why TR has played him as much as he has. That being said I hope TR can cut his minutes down the stretch.

Last edited:

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
You want to know what the plan SHOULD be is. Trading Orlov. I laughing at the comments that are saying Orlov will find his form "again". Guys...he has never had a form on defense! Why do you think he was put on defense with Orpik and Nisky? Its because they could cover his *** everytime he made a mistake. Lets get rid of that 5 mill.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You want to know what the plan SHOULD be is. Trading Orlov. I laughing at the comments that are saying Orlov will find his form "again". Guys...he has never had a form on defense! Why do you think he was put on defense with Orpik and Nisky? Its because they could cover his *** everytime he made a mistake. Lets get rid of that 5 mill.

Stop watching the games and start following the stat feeds. Only then will true enlightenment be achieved.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Stop watching the games and start following the stat feeds. Only then will true enlightenment be achieved.
Yeah just like how i was "enlightened" by Jeff Schultz's plus/minus. That really made him a great defensemen huh? People who love Orlov seem to only love him for two reasons. One his age and two his "offensive potentital." I don't care how many points you can get on offense. What i care most about is the ability to protect the goaltender. Orlov has been here for 4 and 3/4 years and still appears to have not learned the NHL styles defense. If Orlov was making only 2 million dollars, i wouldn't be as mad. But this guy is taking up a decent amount of space and he still hasn't learned how to play defense. Its time to stop babying this guy. I know that there are some people on the forums thatlove tge young guys, but sometimes you got to throw age and potential out the window.

Reactions: OvechkinTooth

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah just like how i was "enlightened" by Jeff Schultz's plus/minus. That really made him a great defensemen huh? People who love Orlov seem to only love him for two reasons. One his age and two his "offensive potentital." I don't care how many points you can get on offense. What i care most about is the ability to protect the goaltender. Orlov has been here for 4 and 3/4 years and still appears to have not learned the NHL styles defense. If Orlov was making only 2 million dollars, i wouldn't be as mad. But this guy is taking up a decent amount of space and he still hasn't learned how to play defense. Its time to stop babying this guy. I know that there are some people on the forums thatlove tge young guys, but sometimes you got to throw age and potential out the window.
Just one correction: Orlov is here 7 years already, not 4. Otherwise, mostly agree with your post. If there's a fair trade in place (not necessarily D for D), I'd do it.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Just one correction: Orlov is here 7 years already, not 4. Otherwise, mostly agree with your post. If there's a fair trade in place (not necessarily D for D), I'd do it.
Wiki said that he was here in 2011-12 for 60 games,but i was talking about his full time start which started in 13-14 to now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I don't care about +/-. I also don't care about Orlov's offensive potential because I think he's actually somewhat overrated in terms of being an offensive-defenseman.

I care that he's been good defensively for the past 3 seasons, despite occasional gaffes. I think he's good at helping the team transition out of a defensive posture and into an attacking posture (even if he himself isn't picking up a ton of points this season). He's also been very good at penalty killing when given the opportunity. His contributions are more difficult to put into pretty highlight packages which is why people's lasting impressions of him are bad. That's why I jokingly said to stop watching the games.

He's had a bad year, no doubt about it. But good players have bad seasons, and more importantly is that he seems to have found his form since the TDL.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't care about +/-. I also don't care about Orlov's offensive potential because I think he's actually somewhat overrated in terms of being an offensive-defenseman.

I care that he's been good defensively for the past 3 seasons, despite occasional gaffes. I think he's good at helping the team transition out of a defensive posture and into an attacking posture (even if he himself isn't picking up a ton of points this season). He's also been very good at penalty killing when given the opportunity. His contributions are more difficult to put into pretty highlight packages which is why people's lasting impressions of him are bad. That's why I jokingly said to stop watching the games.

He's had a bad year, no doubt about it. But good players have bad seasons, and more importantly is that he seems to have found his form since the TDL.
For those joining us late (not you)... the whole team was playing preseason hockey until the deadline and is now just beginning to give a shit. Orlov was neither exempt from this nor meaningfully worse than the group as a whole.

Reactions: kicksavedave

PB12

Jul 7, 2015

:amazed::help:

Last edited:

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
For those joining us late (not you)... the whole team was playing preseason hockey until the deadline and is now just beginning to give a ****. Orlov was neither exempt from this nor meaningfully worse than the group as a whole.
Yes Cali i understand that the team hasn't played well this year. But here is the thing. I trust Nisky to rebound and play good defense. I trust Holtby to earn his money in the playoffs. Do i trust Orlov to find himself playing at a 5M dollar contract level. Nope.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I guess the only nice things i can say about Orlov are.

1.He is a nice guy
2.He is not Erik Gudbranson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad