Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Pens 8pm NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Playing on the road we need to weather the early storm.

Oddly, like we had to at home.

I love playoff road games and a simplified game. And especially demoralizing opposing fans early in the game with a goal. Which is so not us this year. Sigh.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Playing on the road we need to weather the early storm.

Oddly, like we had to at home.

I love playoff road games and a simplified game. And especially demoralizing opposing fans early in the game with a goal. Which is so not us this year. Sigh.

honestly that doesn't matter if we're on the road or not, we seem to do that anyway. Why can't we be the freakin storm for once?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Looking at stats, if its not Holtby, we are no where to be seen. There is an Oshie sighting of course.

If we are going to try to win games 2-1, 1-0 - we cannot give up odd mans like we did last game. Amazingly as a Jennings contender we still need to tighten up if that is the game Barry wants to play. The defensemen move up if our forward is back or not. Our luck playing this aggressive will not continue forever.

If we go down, I would like to see one game where we try to run and gun with Pitt before rolling over. I don't think it would be a train wreck, because we have Holts.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Caps' keys to winning:

Stop with this "showing up only at 3" ****.

Be practical rather than fancy (and make clear passes rather than turnovers).

Finish checks.

ocubed

Apr 13, 2016
We need to play a simplified game. I would like to see us shoot more. Certain players MUST show up.

Murray has not been playing exceptionally well, we need to pepper him with shots.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We need to play a simplified game. I would like to see us shoot more.

That is the Beagle on the first line recipe.

What gave this team its advantage all season was Kuznetsov. He was the team's leading scorer providing secondary scoring. Thru 8 games he has the one flukey goal as his only point. So, the advantage has disappeared.

Either Kuzy gets it going or the Caps are going to have to win on defense and Holtby.

I hope Carlson, Niskanen and Alzner ate their Wheaties this morning.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If you ask the team to solely shoot more, they will do what they did in game 4 vs Philly. Lots of shots, but taking shots for the sake of taking shots w/o any purpose. I don't care if their shot totals are low, they are better when they are deliberate with the puck and try to make something happen.

They need to have more offensive zone time. More hustle. They need to get to the puck first. Forecheck hard. Make Pens chase. Thats how they won most of their games this year.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
2016 Washington Capitals
Never the Stormâ„¢

Storm Chasers, never the storm.

this is the Caps every first period

alg-storm-chasers-jpg.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, we know the tornado is coming, and start scrambling once it hits.

Only, we scramble at 80% of max speed needed to stay alive.

Gorm said he expects Weber in tonight. Ha, that means nope.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Same old, same old.

Too many passengers.

I think they'll win this though. Holtby is in a beast mode again.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Hypothetically speaking, if you split up 8-19-77, how would the Penguins likely chose to matchup against the lines? Say, if it was like:

90-19-77
8-83-43
25-92-65
26-10-14

I'm not advocating these lines, just wondering if you can use Ovi as more of a decoy to separate Backstrom and Oshie from the Penguins' top D?

Hypotheticals aside, I'm nervous about 90-92-14 tonight. Not only do I not see them scoring (happy to be wrong) but I've got a bad feeling they're going to be abused in the match-ups. This is partly why I want to see the bottom-nine shuffled, to create more of the equilibrium Trotz seems to have been going for. The second line needs more strength and defence, the third line a more talented linemate for Bura (even just swap 83 and 10) and maybe to rotate Mojo, Oshie and Ovi into the fourth line every now and then to create better offensive chances. And far more net presence to capitalise on a barrage of shots from the blue line, please.

Having Chorney in the lineup over Orpik isn't such a bad thing - he had a good game on Sunday and his speed is mighty useful. But I'd like to see Schmidt, Orlov and/or Weber playing more time with Niskanen and Alzner, who are capable both of extra minutes and of reducing the risk of inexperienced (or plain inferior) guys.

Likewise pair Schmidt or Orlov and Richards line - Richards is probably the F you want to fall back so Orlov can charge the net, and Orlov and Schmidt's speed helps neutralise one of the major issues of having a Richards-centered line against the Pens. Stop pairing the inexperienced Ds with your highest liability line (the second).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad