Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jets - 8pm-ish EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Great game for a lot of depth guys. Protas, Sprong, Sgarbossa, Leason.

McMichael doesn’t really bring anything. He has skill but no speed, strength, smarts or hustle to use it with.
The guy is age 20. Most age 20 players are not gonna start out good playing in the NHL. He needs more development with Hershey and definitely build up some weight and strength in the off season. I think he's still gonna be a good player for the Caps down the road. I would say he's gonna be their future 3C after Eller no longer is with the team whenever that is.

Reactions: crab and um

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If Caps were healthy, McMichael should go to Hershey for a bit. He also goes between wing and center a lot usually due to circumstance. I’d say he should be at wing going forward

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, we have to have something to be pissed off about. I saw 5 shots on goal and some quality looks that missed in 2 pps with players that didnt even get a chance to practice together.
One thing the Caps PP is flawed among many, they don't setup at all for goals scored on the doorstep of the goal crease. Their is no execution of basics with shots for rebounds. OV's Office point shot and Oshie's slot shot have been almost completely shut down. As I said many times before, the Caps PP is now a Pinball Machine with broken flippers! You fire Fraudsythe and hire someone else with a new PP voice and ideas, plus someone who knows how to teach
winning face-offs(Tarek El Bashir reported that Fraudsythe coaches face-offs as well), then you will see big improvements.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
One thing the Caps PP is flawed among many, they don't setup at all for goals scored on the doorstep of the goal crease. Their is no execution of basics with shots for rebounds. OV's Office point shot and Oshie's slot shot have been almost completely shut down. As I said many times before, the Caps PP is now a Pinball Machine with broken flippers! You fire Fraudsythe and hire someone else with a new PP voice and ideas, plus someone who knows how to teach
winning face-offs(Tarek El Bashir reported that Fraudsythe coaches face-offs as well), then you will see big improvements.

ok boss

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
McMichael is definitely lacking confidence right now. That is going to happen with a young player. He should go to Hershey and keep working. But this is exactly the reason the Caps “overcook” prospects and protect against that early flame out.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
That's an encouraging start for VV.

CMM's production should be considered in context: He's playing 10 minutes a game with linemates who aren't creating scoring opportunities.

Reactions: Hivemind and Roshi

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, its a long journey for CMM. He should be playing big minutes in Hershey, but in a long term this experience might end up profitable aswell. Less than 10 minutes a game with 2 AHL wingers against NHL defence isnt going to work out in scoresheet most of the nights, but his there learning the defensive and grindy curve of the position too. Fortunately theres lots of time to let him cook for the job he is bound for as Eller has another year left.

What a great win!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
CMM doesn't need to be sent down to Hershey. He needs to be given real minutes with real linemates, rather than 10 minutes/night with a revolving door and new partners every two games. We've seen him look dangerous plenty of times, he just needs to be able to build some chemistry and consistency to start converting.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That's an encouraging start for VV.

CMM's production should be considered in context: He's playing 10 minutes a game with linemates who aren't creating scoring opportunities.
He started at 2C. He got benched after that giveaway right before the Orlov penalty.

McMichael has been given plenty of opportunity with all the injuries to our centers, he’s done very little with it.

Compared to Protas he’s done quite poorly. Even Sgarbossa outplayed him tonight.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This thing you're doing here? Yeah, it's not endearing. Don't know why people can't disagree without doing this dumb bullshit but it's especially stupid when the guy has literally been an NHL coach for longer than you've even had your HFBoards account. You can say the guy's time is done without acting like he's fully incompetent or an outright liar.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Dont look now. Samsonov sv% .910. Vanecek .913

Dont look now. Samsonov sv% .910. Vanecek .913

Vitek bumped up his SV% from .908 to .913 against two teams that are not in a playoff spot right now and that both were in slumps at the time of the loss. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it yet. It also happens to be that Scott Murray is not the goalie coach right now because he's on the Protocol List, unless someone can indicate that he's back coaching? I reiterate that Vitek was very lucky that he didn't get scored on multiple times(3 or 4 times to be more exact) in both this game and against the Sabres.

I still expect Sammy to get the start against the Kings on Sunday, since he got the shutout against them in LA and the fact LA has beat some good teams lately(Oilers, Wild and Panthers, been 4-1-1 in their last 6 games). Sammy is still the Caps #1 goalie right now. Staying positive, you want to see your backup goalie to have good games like this and not just be a serviceable goalie.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This thing you're doing here? Yeah, it's not endearing. Don't know why people can't disagree without doing this dumb bullshit but it's especially stupid when the guy has literally been an NHL coach for longer than you've even had your HFBoards account. You can say the guy's time is done without acting like he's fully incompetent or an outright liar.
To me his name is Fraudsythe. The Caps PP has been bad for multiple years now and Fraudsythe is the PP Coach, so he's responsible for it. He hasn't fixed or corrected it, so I refer to him as a fraud. If OV/Oshie don't score then no one else is scoring from the 2 PP units. Forsythe has been here far too long coaching the PP and on a lot of teams he would have been easily fired by now.

Reactions: PlushMinus

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don’t think Leason is ready, but he could become a pretty good player for us with a bit more seasoning. I remember Corey Pronman, I think, surmising that Leason might ‘get some NHL games’ but would never be more than an AHLer. I think if he keeps pushing himself he could become a really solid and productive third liner for this team.

Protas is looking like the team’s future 3C, for sure. And a bottom-six winger until then. Really like what he brings. It looks like our second and third round picks are starting to come through for us, finally.

Great game by Vanecek. Team doesn’t get a point without that level of goaltending.

Has Ovi ever had a season where he’s had more assists in than goals - while scoring more than 0.8 per game?! Feels like we’ve been transported back to his early seasons, but where history has been rewritten so he’s well coached and on a well-balanced team. He’s just so engaged in every aspect of his game under Lavi.

Kudos to Eller, too, for having played every Center position this year with practically every winger on the team (and a bunch from Hershey). Some nights he’s a fourth line grinder, others the second line center, last night on the first line. PP and PK. Late game situations. In and out of the lineup injured/ in protocol. He’s been something of a Swiss Army knife for this team.

I also continue to like Sheary’s game. He’s gets to be a trusted role player on this team, and increasingly a PKer too, who brings speed and energy to make up for the lack of size. It’s a role he plays really well on a stacked Caps team, and he’s stepping up with guys out.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
To me his name is Fraudsythe. The Caps PP has been bad for multiple years now and Fraudsythe is the PP Coach, so he's responsible for it. He hasn't fixed or corrected it, so I refer to him as a fraud. If OV/Oshie don't score then no one else is scoring from the 2 PP units. Forsythe has been here far too long coaching the PP and on a lot of teams he would have been easily fired by now.

Yeah I don't like him either. Very interesting to hear that he's also coaching faceoffs, considering how bad the team is at those.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Which was designed by the brilliant coach. Who then brilliantly manages these fill in players to set them up to succeed and gain confidence.
I'm not sure it was designed by our coach. It makes alot of sense though.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Vitek bumped up his SV% from .908 to .913 against two teams that are not in a playoff spot right now and that both were in slumps at the time of the loss. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it yet. It also happens to be that Scott Murray is not the goalie coach right now because he's on the Protocol List, unless someone can indicate that he's back coaching? I reiterate that Vitek was very lucky that he didn't get scored on multiple times(3 or 4 times to be more exact) in both this game and against the Sabres.

I still expect Sammy to get the start against the Kings on Sunday, since he got the shutout against them in LA and the fact LA has beat some good teams lately(Oilers, Wild and Panthers, been 4-1-1 in their last 6 games). Sammy is still the Caps #1 goalie right now. Staying positive, you want to see your backup goalie to have good games like this and not just be a serviceable goalie.
You really can’t give Vitek a compliment at all can you? What did he do to you to deserve such a personal vendetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad