Caps Isles: The Hit Parade

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I did a doubletake when I saw the hit totals from last game.

Caps: 28
Islanders: 55
Total hits: 83!

Yes you read that right. It is not a typo though I certainly wonder what the stats people were drinking, and when they started.

Leading the way? Yup, Matt Marts dropping 13 hits.
Surprise of the night: Bailey with 7 hits.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think the Isles statistician is especially biased with his tallies but they definitely held their own - and then some - against a big physical team. They aren't the biggest team in the league but the Isles are at their best when guys like Strome, Nelson, Baileu, etc. finish their checks and aren't afraid to get on the dirty spots. When it's just Martin and Clutter hitting, it's noticeable.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
The kid line throwing the body last night = :handclap:. Even Strome was in on it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The kid line throwing the body last night = :handclap:. Even Strome was in on it.

It is a culture change Charlie. It is the way winning teams play. You bump, you grind, and anyone can do it. You can be a skilled possession club with a bunch of good skaters but still take the body. I love watching Strome do it, when he does it, because he has good instincts on when to do it vs. his size and the other guy.

Someone remind me if Grabner consistently took the body. He did sometimes, sometimes he was just a giant wallflower. Do we need him back?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It is a culture change Charlie. It is the way winning teams play. You bump, you grind, and anyone can do it. You can be a skilled possession club with a bunch of good skaters but still take the body. I love watching Strome do it, when he does it, because he has good instincts on when to do it vs. his size and the other guy.

Someone remind me if Grabner consistently took the body. He did sometimes, sometimes he was just a giant wallflower. Do we need him back?

There are two Grabners - the motivated one and the lazy one. The former plays pretty physical and fore checks well. The lazy one just floats. I have a feeling that if he comes back we will see the good version as this style of play is contagious. If everyone else is finishing their checks and going 100%, it's hard to give anything less without standing out.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
There are two Grabners - the motivated one and the lazy one. The former plays pretty physical and fore checks well. The lazy one just floats. I have a feeling that if he comes back we will see the good version as this style of play is contagious. If everyone else is finishing their checks and going 100%, it's hard to give anything less without standing out.

He was hitting most of last half of 2013-14 season.
This year he came to camp jacked and 15 pounds heavier, maybe to abet more hitting. On this team at this time, it is play the team game or sit. Plenty competitive and we see Bailey hitting much more for that reason.
Grabs will hit. To be a good body checker you have to be a good skater. No problem there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad