Post-Game Talk: Caps Isles in Connecticut 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Malone at center is interesting. I think he's a dark horse for the 14th forward spot, but he's more of a winger than a center.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Doesn't mean that not playing didn't drive him crazy

I think he was prepared to be watching from the stands. If anything, it probably makes him eager to play again. I'm sure he can't wait for the season to start. I'd give him between 65 to 70 starts this season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hard pass on giving Holtby 70 starts. Grubauer is plenty good. Keep Holtby well rested. No more than 60 starts, tops.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Holtby historically starts slow, so play him early and in preseason, then ease back a bit mid-late season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Holtby performs better with a heavier work load. He needs to get into his groove before the playoffs start.

Look at his splits based on days rest. Unless you're going to put a ton of faith in 3 starts during back-to-backs, there's not really any change depending on how much rest Holtby gets.

http://insider.espn.com/nhl/player/splits/_/id/5075/braden-holtby

Even if your assertion was true, they could up his workload down to stretch to "get into his groove."

There's zero reason they need to put Holtby out there 70 times in the regular season. That's just putting more miles on the franchise goaltender and providing more opportunities for an injury to occur. 55-60 starts is more than enough. Unlike Justin Peters, Philipp Grubauer is a quality back-up option.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Look at his splits based on days rest. Unless you're going to put a ton of faith in 3 starts during back-to-backs, there's not really any change depending on how much rest Holtby gets.

Even if your assertion was true, they could up his workload down to stretch to "get into his groove."

There's zero reason they need to put Holtby out there 70 times in the regular season. That's just putting more miles on the franchise goaltender and providing more opportunities for an injury to occur. 55-60 starts is more than enough. Unlike Justin Peters, Philipp Grubauer is a quality back-up option.

Sure, he just needs to be playing almost every night in the final 6 weeks in preparation for the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I seem to recall that Holtby was at his worst with more than two days rest. In any case Holtby is going to play every game that isn't a back to back with the possible exception of something involving west coast travel. I am not sure how many games that is. Just giving the backup the back to back games, but I am pretty sure that its more than 60 games. 55 games just doesn't seem realistic at all. 17 goalies had more than 55 starts. 10 goalies had at least 60 starts. Holtby had 66. I don't see them reducing his workload.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Mojo off gingerly.

In regards to holtby I'm pretty sure he's been on record saying he feels better playing and feels sharper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad