Speculation: Caps have 9.2 mil to spend as Backstrom returns to perma IR - Nylander?

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If Washington has their unprotected 1st on the table I would definitely consider it. But I don’t see him wanting to leave, especially for a team on the downswing.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
No interest in trading Nylander. We need him more than we need futures right now. Unless Ovi is coming back our way (which would never happen) there’s no way trading Nylander to the caps would make us a better team

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Backstrom so long and thanks for all the fish!

So what do ya think? How close were Spencer and Nylander?
Will Caps fans ever allow another Nylander to wear a Caps Jersey? Wait the 1st one never really wore his so....

Oh p.s. I'm starting the rumor

592F96CF-DF30-4086-960C-143C56724B2A.jpeg
592F96CF-DF30-4086-960C-143C56724B2A.jpeg He technically wore it…

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Not a big deal?

How can you sign Nylander to a $11-12M contract (which would include 24-25) and do everything else?
with the cap going to 87.5, Minten and Cowan coming up Bert and Domi leaving Nylander signed at 11, all we need is a middle pair LW, resign Lilj, a back up goalie a middle pair LD, bottom pair LD and we have 20 mil after Nylander to get all that done

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I doubt they are adding much.

Makes them a bigger player at the Free Agency though.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Washington has their unprotected 1st on the table I would definitely consider it. But I don’t see him wanting to leave, especially for a team on the downswing.
I'm thinking the OP means going forward like offering a contract to Nylander rather than just making a trade here, anticipating that this money will be had going forward. So more of an off-season signing with cap they didn't think they would get.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wont matter, team is still brutal.
Backstrom was perhaps the biggest reason they were brutal. He was so toast they had to play Kuznetsov 25 minutes last game. He’s among the slowest forwards in the NHL and couldn’t keep up. The tough truth is that swapping him out for McMichael makes them faster and better and also gives them cap space to add a significant piece. As it is, they still have a top six forward waiting in the wings in Max Pacioretty. And next summer with Mantha gone and Backstrom LTIRetired that’s $15M in cap space freed up.

I love Backstrom and it sucks this is how he’s going out but him going on LTI is the best thing that could have happened for the Caps if they want to remain competitive.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It feels like Nylander is playing himself into his rights being traded at the end of the year

I just can’t see Toronto going 8 figure AAV
And Nylander is playing himself into that ask

I thought he was low $9 aav at the beginning of the year

Why not? Tavares has 1 more year. It would be short sighted to let a player like Nylander walk over 1 season of tight cap. After that, their commitments are Matthews @ 13.25 and Nylander @ let's say 10. Tavares probably sighs for half.

Then it becomes what to do with Marner, but even if he gets a 1M raise, they will still be in a better cap position than they were.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Instead the Leafs should pay the Caps to eat Tavares cap hit for next year to pay Willy. JT can help Ovi with the goal chase while aquiring futures from Toronto for the rebuild that comes after goal 895.

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
Could probably get Ristolainen from the Flyers for next to nothing and still have cap space to spare - a 2024 1st rounder should do it. Think about how cool it would be to have to two Rasmus’ on the same pair.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Toronto has Tavares coming off the books in a year. It going to be pretty hard to out bid them.
If he leaves it won’t be over money.
Tavares comes off the books after the 24-25 season. Nylander is an FA at the end of this season.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
With any raises to Matthews, Nylander, and Marner they will take up a smaller % of the cap then the previous “core 4” did
With the way Nylander is playing and if he continue his play for the rest of the season Nylander will deserve to be paid. 10 mil isn't going to cut it. Think in the 12 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad