Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm going to go with a hot take: ship his ass out anyways. Enough is enough. The guy has slowly become a cancer. He'd put up 30 points in the postseason and then you'd hear the news about him getting caught buying coke somewhere in Baltimore. And the excuse that he was just celebrating the win.

I agree, but while he's here I want some contribution and if he scores 30 postseason points even the Rangers would call about him. His price will skyrocket.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Are the players fully vaccinated? I know most in Canada are not. I would say that the league knows who is and who is not vaccinated and could deal with them accordingly.

Another question. If we can show proof of vaccination can we fill the barn with fully vaxxed Caps fans?
Would you provide your vax card in order to get a ticket for Saturday? I would
Weren’t the players told if a certain percentage of them are vaccinated they get more relaxed protocols?

I would 100% provide my vax card for entry. Zero hesitation.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Lavi is putting Dillon and Schultz back together. WTF? TVR and Dillon have been solid, arguably their best defensive pair lately. No, I’m not an NHL coach but I do have eyes. This is a dumb move.

Totally agree, but don't worry. Schultz is so fragile he'll be injured by the end of game 1 and then TvR will be back in.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
You tell me, boss. Why has Laviolette consistently scratched TVR? Why has he consistenty liked Chara and Jensen? Why did he apparantly want Schultz and rely on him? Ive told you what I think which hasnt impressed you.

Perhaps the issue is that you keep telling us what YOU think the COACH thinks. How about you tell us what YOU actually think about the Dillon Schultz pairing and why it hasn't worked, and what YOU think of TvR's game?

Reactions: crab

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I didnt agree with Beagle playing 20 or Ov on RW. I also knew why those things happen. I just asked if you knew why Lavy doesnt see TVR in his healthy 6? You have any thoughts on that?

It’s a common occurrence in the NHL where a guy who is slotted higher up the depth chart gets a long leash before they are demoted. Analytically and from the eye test Dillon-TVR has been easily superior to Dillon-Schultz. Start a poll on this forum and you will see the results for yourself.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Eh, not really. They make their own rules so long as they’re compliant with the local regulations. How many businesses are going to be more restrictive than necessary after being kneecapped for the past 14-15 months?

states have already deferred to businesses to set mask requirements….the NHL can absolutely do this IMO….

unless there is some law you have knowledge of that would prohibit a private league from establishing their own health rules/restrictions/guidelines in regards to COVID.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Perhaps the issue is that you keep telling us what YOU think the COACH thinks. How about you tell us what YOU actually think about the Dillon Schultz pairing and why it hasn't worked, and what YOU think of TvR's game?

I love answering a question with a question. It gets us so much further down the road. I dont have the problems with either Dillon or Schultz that some have here. Dillon is bordering on whipping boy status. Schultz has been an impact player that I wasnt expecting.

Its clear to me that TVR doesnt play Laviolette's game as well as the other 3 right shot defensemen. I prefer Jensen to TVR for skating speed and manueverability. I never considered Schultz a potential scratch. Taking their 2nd highest scoring defenseman out of the lineup would be a different kind of move.

So, there we are. I asked a question which you blew off and turned around on me. I responded with a straight forward answer.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s a common occurrence in the NHL where a guy who is slotted higher up the depth chart gets a long leash before they are demoted. Analytically and from the eye test Dillon-TVR has been easily superior to Dillon-Schultz. Start a poll on this forum and you will see the results for yourself.

A poll? The poll majority would have ditched Orpik and Jensen of recent. Me seeing things differently doesnt make me wrong. I do see your point though. What are the chances that in this series Schultz is a healthy scratch in favor of TVR??

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So... if the CDC says fully vaccinated adults no longer have to wear masks indoors or outdoors and essentially have no restrictions, do sports leagues still have a need for Covid lists?
Ignoring the part of the story about whether or not the CDC is premature in that decision, it comes down to whether or not every player in the league is fully vaccinated or not. I would hazard a guess that a lot of NHLers haven't received the vaccine yet because of the side effects of the second shot likely costing them a game day.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
What I see with regards to Dillon / Schultz / TvR:

The Dillon Shultz pairing seems to require Dillon to be the defensive D and Schultz to play up and create offence. This puts pressure on Dillon and he rushes his plays and turns the puck over or makes a bad pass.

The Dillon TvR pairing takes that pressure off Dillon because TvR is (imho) a very good defensive D. This allows Dillon to play further up ice. He doesn't really generate offence (even when he tries to), but I think the key factor is that he
doesn't have that pressure on him because TvR is back there covering.

I also noticed that in the last two or three games that TvR played he was playing up ice more often. Much like Dillon he isn't a guy I expect to create much offence at all, but I found it notable because previously he would always stay back in the D zone.

As somebody else pointed out, TvR has a very good long pass.

It's a tricky situation because these three guys are all different types of defencemen so they aren't interchangeable. On a lot of others teams I would expect all 3 of them to be mainstays in the lineup.

Anyway, those are my observations (rightly or wrongly) :)

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
A poll? The poll majority would have ditched Orpik and Jensen of recent. Me seeing things differently doesnt make me wrong. I do see your point though. What are the chances that in this series Schultz is a healthy scratch in favor of TVR??
I could see it if Schultz poops himself the first couple of games. I could also see TVR taking Jensens spot if he has a bad stretch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think he’s been as good as he was at the start of the season. But to me the real problem is how bad Dillon played with Schultz versus how much better he’s been with TVR.

Then Dillon needs to play better. Dillon-TVR and Chara-Jensen leave only one pair to provide offense and to play Lavy's system productively. Thats just not enough.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Anyone else thinking it makes more sense to go with 7D if Oshie’s out than put Carr in? I know playing 11F isn’t ideal, but it would take pressure off Carlson and Schultz as they ease in off injury, and TVR seems to add a lot more on the ice than Carr does?

Reactions: um

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
After seeing us crumble two years ago when he went out injured, I’d rather they didn’t rush him back until he’s ready. Last thing we need is a guy like Frederic aggravating his injury in game 1.

If they need Oshie to win, does it matter if they lose because he misses the game for injury or rest? My take is that its a skating injury and someone leg Frederic is going to have a hard time getting at it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone else thinking it makes more sense to go with 7D if Oshie’s out than put Carr in? I know playing 11F isn’t ideal, but it would take pressure off Carlson and Schultz as they ease in off injury, and TVR seems to add a lot more on the ice than Carr does?

Have the Caps had an 11f 7d situation where the 7th d played much or at all? Earlier they had a 3 game run where they had to do that. TVR played 7mins in a 6-0 blowout. Then played 0:51 and 0:00 in the next two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad