Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Last thread but Christian Dvorak is another lateral at best move from Kuznetsov. The Capitals don’t need another 2C like Dvorak, they really need that 1C.

Kuznetsov has shown in the past he can be a 1C in spurts, so if they truly can’t get an upgrade then I’d rather they just hold onto him and hope he has a good season rather than getting a replacement not capable of playing the 1C role capably.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s a pipe dream…Kuzy isn’t regaining form here IMO.

Almost time to stop living that fantasy. One more season should do it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last thread but Christian Dvorak is another lateral at best move from Kuznetsov. The Capitals don’t need another 2C like Dvorak, they really need that 1C.

Kuznetsov has shown in the past he can be a 1C in spurts, so if they truly can’t get an upgrade then I’d rather they just hold onto him and hope he has a good season rather than getting a replacement not capable of playing the 1C role capably.

If the best the Caps can get out of Kuzy is an erratic 2c that causes problems in the locker room, a hard working 2c making 40% less and bringing harmony to the team is an improvement

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kuznetsov at his worst is still better than Dvorak at his best but if you want to get center back and save some cap, the options are slim because Kuznetsov comes with red flags all around him.

In terms of talent Dvorak isn't really even a 2C on a top team. He's slightly more expensive and slightly worse version of Lars Eller. How many people consider Eller a 2C in here?

But sure, you could do worse.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Lmao Dvorak..who is next for discussion? Cizikas? Kuznetsov can snort 10 pounds of coke on a single night and still would be better than that dump and chaser. Caps are not contenders anyways so what's the urgency with trading 92 for a bag of shit? Find a good player or die on that hill.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lmao Dvorak..who is next for discussion? Cizikas? Kuznetsov can snort 10 pounds of coke on a single night and still would be better than that dump and chaser. Caps are not contenders anyways so what's the urgency with trading 92 for a bag of shit? Find a good player or die on that hill.

Kuzy supporters will just continue to crap on any names floated and that’s fine by me…it’s why I don’t play the name game around here.

I have no opinion on possible solutions (like Dvorak, I could give a crap about him specifically)….only the larger problem.

they will continue to not contend with a 50pt 1C, so why wait?

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kuznetsov at his worst is still better than Dvorak at his best but if you want to get center back and save some cap, the options are slim because Kuznetsov comes with red flags all around him.

In terms of talent Dvorak isn't really even a 2C on a top team. He's slightly more expensive and slightly worse version of Lars Eller. How many people consider Eller a 2C in here?

But sure, you could do worse.

As always, the question is would you rather? I think Laviolette showed last season that with some regularity he preferred Tiger on the ice to Kuzy. Eller's games as the 2c or even the 1c have largely been successful. He is an uber 3c which is part of the Caps advantage. I am not suggesting trading or swapping out thru a couple of deals Kuzy for Dvorak. Would you rather have Kuzy as an underperforming divisive force or a less capable player performing at about the same level without the divisiveness?

Thats really the choice. If they trade Kuzy, they arent going to be able to find an available center that is as good as the good Kuzy. They can find one as good as the Kuzy that doesnt care. Would you rather have doesn't care Kuzy or a less capable honest player?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
As always, the question is would you rather? I think Laviolette showed last season that with some regularity he preferred Tiger on the ice to Kuzy. Eller's games as the 2c or even the 1c have largely been successful. He is an uber 3c which is part of the Caps advantage. I am not suggesting trading or swapping out thru a couple of deals Kuzy for Dvorak. Would you rather have Kuzy as an underperforming divisive force or a less capable player performing at about the same level without the divisiveness?

Thats really the choice. If they trade Kuzy, they arent going to be able to find an available center that is as good as the good Kuzy. They can find one as good as the Kuzy that doesnt care. Would you rather have doesn't care Kuzy or a less capable honest player?

I would rather have Kuznetsov, to be honest. We need a game-breaking center to go far in the Playoffs. Is that Kuznetsov? Propably not. Is that Dvorak? Certainly not. Rather roll the dice on Kuznetsov who has the tools but a flawed toolbox than a guy who doesn't have the tools to carry us far in the Playoffs.

I wouldn’t mind moving on from Kuznetsov if they somehow managed to get a potential game-breaking player in return but if we can't then i would honestly propably just wait for a hot run in the right time from him.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
I would rather have Kuznetsov, to be honest. We need a game-breaking center to go far in the Playoffs. Is that Kuznetsov? Propably not. Is that Dvorak? Certainly not. Rather roll the dice on Kuznetsov who has the tools but a flawed toolbox than a guy who doesn't have the tools to carry us far in the Playoffs.

I wouldn’t mind moving on from Kuznetsov if they somehow managed to get a potential game-breaking player in return but if we can't then i would honestly propably just wait for a hot run in the right time from him.

He had 32 playoff points the year the Caps won the Cup. People sure do have short memories.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Well. There is your choice. Game breaker or team breaker. Ive concluded after years of watching a team lose its edge with a tired coach and pick right up with a change that it only takes a drop off from 100% effort to 95% to kill a team. We saw what happened in the bubble with Reirden and before that with Oates. Hockey is a game of pain and sacrifice. Look at TJ Oshie and what he clearly represents to the team as a group. Look at Kuznetsov and see the same sort of effect but in the negative. This is what divisive means. Its not really about waiting for a hot streak. Its about the damage his appears to be doing and how much more he can do?

Either the players want him their or they dont. I am confident there are a lot of conversations going on this summer. I wonder how many of them are Kuzy talking to management and his teammates and telling them he wants to stay and what he is willing to promise them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If the best the Caps can get out of Kuzy is an erratic 2c that causes problems in the locker room, a hard working 2c making 40% less and bringing harmony to the team is an improvement

The problem of course is that a low-ceiling but more consistent player does little to help the team win a Cup when they need an elite level performance out of their 1C to allow them to win. Is Dvorak capable of this? I don’t think so. Is Backstrom? I doubt it, especially with his hip. Is Kuznetsov? He’s done it before, so I’d give him at least a better shot that the other options presented so far.

I’d still prefer they swing big in what is expected to be an active offseason around the league rather than waste the rest of Ovechkin’s and Backstrom’s careers. Be willing to give up assets that won’t contribute in a significant way while 8 and 19 are still playing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He had 32 playoff points the year the Caps won the Cup. People sure do have short memories.

On the contrary, people remember he's been mediocre to bad the other 6 playoff years.

So if you're going to bet your franchise on the guy, which one "probably" shows up?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would rather call up CMM then trade for some of the centers we have seen in rumors. CMM also said he can play wing and did for team Canada at the WJC

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
On the contrary, people remember he's been mediocre to bad the other 6 playoff years.

So if you're going to bet your franchise on the guy, which one "probably" shows up?

this is not fact. He knocked out the Islanders...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Thats true. He did. That was a great play. Since the Cup though there have been consistent question asked of MacLellan and the coaches about Kuznetov and his performance. Its not a new thing. Its not a bump in the road. Its not a phase. The idea that there is trouble there is a common theme.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

That was his first playoffs, 2o14-2015...six years ago. He had 7 points in 14 playoff games, but all we remember is he had some good games in Rd 1 vs the Islanders. The next year he had 2 points in 12 games. That's Kuzy.

So I guess that's the bar for Kuzy now? Half point per game in the playoffs? For the 6 other seasons the Caps didn't win the Cup, Kuzy had 30 points in 57 games.

It's more likely THAT is the player he is in the postseason, not the guy who had 32 points in 24 games.

I would love it if that changes but...what is there to hang your hat on? One playoff run out of seven.

Reactions: Jags

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would rather call up CMM then trade for some of the centers we have seen in rumors. CMM also said he can play wing and did for team Canada at the WJC

If your idea is to replace Kuzy with McMichael, Eller will be the 2C and McMichael the 3C who is effectively the 4c behind Dowd. He is not going to be playing between Ovechkin and Wilson.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure they really want to carry a $7.8M cap hit for a 'flake.' That's the biggest issue given their pending cap crunch. The list of available 1Cs probably begins and ends with Eichel. That level of center is very rarely available and the Caps would not only need to outbid everyone but also likely need BUF to retain salary. Their route to success going forward is bound to be unconventional. Their defense and goaltending is unconventional. Their star player is unconventional. Their style of play and pace is unconventional. There's a lot that isn't how you'd draw it up. It reminds me a bit of where the Kings ended up in falling behind the curve. That's the sort of danger they're courting if they're not careful. While it would be advantageous to have a potential X factor like 92 I don't think they want to deal with the headache. They threw their hands up and dealt Vrana. I fully expect the same with 92 with even less value coming back. It's probably going to be even more difficult to move him at this stage and his limited NTC complicates matters. Signing Krejci probably remains the best option in terms of immediate ability, pedigree and the lack of assets to add him. He's a stopgap--so is Laviolette and their collective approach really--but who cares? I'm not sure Chara would have amazing things to say about his stay in DC. It was fun but I'm sure it was somewhat taxing mentally given the way they play.

The discipline and focus is not there enough from a supposedly veteran team to the extent it should be. Some of it's a function of limited hockey sense in some cases but it's no excuse. Their chances won't improve until those areas do. Given their age curves they're unavoidably going to become less dominant, less able to summon flashes of brilliance and less able to get away with being fundamentally top-heavy. It's got to be embracing the mental game that takes them to the next stage and I'm not sure they get that. It's more likely they do go more conventional and low maintenance, more in line with what Laviolette wants from a work ethic standpoint and still find more ways to lose than win when the chips are down. It's a fun time of year for personnel moves and reconfiguring things but they're in danger of becoming stale without a strong off-season. That's tough when your franchise player is due a raise, there's a flat cap and expansion. I'm guessing moving 92 for whatever becomes part of that freshening up as a perceived addition by subtraction and also restructuring a bit but be careful what you wish for. A more consistent 50-60 point two-way center could give them a higher floor and maybe a better team dynamic. I'd still wonder what ultimately distinguishes them from anyone. They're relatively big and physical but heavy hockey without a really strong checking presence isn't enough.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If your idea is to replace Kuzy with McMichael, Eller will be the 2C and McMichael the 3C who is effectively the 4c behind Dowd. He is not going to be playing between Ovechkin and Wilson.

I would keep Kuzy and put CMM on 3rd line wing if Seattle takes Sprong. And move him to center after his rookie season. We cant have Oshie back at center when guys get hurt again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad