Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
You would have to think CBJ is on Kuzy's NTC? But then again, the Caps would know exactly who is on the 15 team no trade list since he had to turn it in already this year.

PLD in a Caps uni HmmmMMmMMmm.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Outbreaks are inevitable. Everyone will get this virus. Even with the vaccines (check the CDC's own literature. They clearly state the vaccines reduce the severity of the illness, but do not prevent you from contracting COVID. When they rolled out the Moderna vaccine at my work last week, the documentation we had to read and sign said the same thing), we will ALL catch it. Trying to avoid COVID altogether would make King Canute laugh at you.

The key is to minimize its impact. Lowering the transmission rates so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Lowering the severity of illness, via vaccine or treatment. But every person on this continent will be exposed to this virus and "catch" it (that's how antibodies work... you have to have the infectious disease in your system for the antibodies to be produced to fight it, even after vaccination). So, either we cancel all sports right now until we build up herd immunity (via exposure or vaccine), or we establish policies that take into account what little we do know about this virus and concentrate our efforts on policies that make sense. And policies that say it is OK to sit next to other players on the bench during a game, but not in the same hotel room don't. The difference in viral loads is well below the threshold for infection, so either way you will pass the virus on (and the same HVAC that is circulating the air in their room is circulating that same air throughout the whole hotel). Masks have proven to be startlingly ineffective at reducing transmission in some circumstances (once again, see the CDC's own reports of who gets infected and where), and very effective in others. Creating policies that don't take these realities into account are doomed to fail.

Ovechkin's wife is perfectly right to sneer at the faux-science behind such nonsensical distinctions. What is the NHL's goal? If it is to eliminate transmission of COVID, then don't play! If it is to reduce transmission, then create policies that will work, not just look good (which is what their policies are based on now)...

Limiting contact beyond the game is a calculated move designed to hopefully continue the season. If exposure time matters then hanging out in hotel rooms is a big risk that's not necessary.

I'm not sure what your comment about hotel HVAC means but if you're talking about what's fact and what's unknown, there is little or no evidence showing circulated air from room to room spreads the virus. I'm not aware of any evidence at all and everything I've read states while RNA traces are found in return vents and filters there's no proof people in room A can get sick from people down the hall in room D.

But there IS plenty of evidence showing that sitting around in a room with X number of air changes per hour results in Y amount of time to clear the room to 99% "clean" and virus free.

Community, Work, and School

Air | Appendix | Environmental Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

Is being on the bench or playing hockey as bad or worse than sitting in a hotel room? Doesn't even matter. We know it's bad enough to limit it IF we want to try and reduce the exposure necessary to play the game.

Again, if you value f***ing around in the hotel more than trying to lessen the risks, then cancel the season.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Now tat LeBrun says the Caps have asked CLB @ PLD...

I would love him on the team, and I'd give up a lot to get him. I've said before that I start at Kuznetsov, a 1st, and Lapierre. They want a young d in there? That's cool. The only piece I try and protect is McMichael.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Now tat LeBrun says the Caps have asked CLB @ PLD...

I would love him on the team, and I'd give up a lot to get him. I've said before that I start at Kuznetsov, a 1st, and Lapierre. They want a young d in there? That's cool. The only piece I try and protect is McMichael.
I'd hate to trade away too much from the cupboard. It'll get bare pretty fast.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
CBJ did pass on Lapierre for Chinakhov despite organizational weakness at the center position so not sure they're too high on him. I'd meet that price, though. Not sure I'd add Fehervary/Alexeyev but that sort of energetic two-way C would be an ideal top six fit as Backstrom ages and also very likely be a preferred fit for Laviolette. Panik also seems like the sort of winger they'd like, although I don't how far they want to dip into LTIR.

If Montreal includes Kotkaniemi I'd imagine they're the clubhouse leaders.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
CBJ did pass on Lapierre for Chinakhov despite organizational weakness at the center position so not sure they're too high on him. I'd meet that price, though. Not sure I'd add Fehervary/Alexeyev but that sort of energetic two-way C would be an ideal top six fit as Backstrom ages and also very likely be a preferred fit for Laviolette. Panik also seems like the sort of winger they'd like, although I don't how far they want to dip into LTIR.

If Montreal includes Kotkaniemi I'd imagine they're the clubhouse leaders.

Does Montreal really need another young C? I get that Denault's contract is up after this year, but they have such good young C depth behind Denault with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. Young yes. But high-end

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Dubois to Habs is just a no brainer. Perfect fit.

If Kotkaniemi would be the ask that should be an easy yes. I think they should even do Suzuki if that's the lowest CBJ will go, but Habs fans seem to disagree.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Actually there is PLENTY of science to support that. For one, minimizing the cumulative amount of time they spend together without masks decreases the risk, that is indisputable. It's like people asking "why should I wear a mask in a restaurant if I'm going to take it off while eating?". Ah, it's a matter of simple statistics. Wearing a mask 50% of the time is better than wearing it 0% of the time. Also, in a hotel room they will be all facing each other (presumably) and there will be more chatter, which increases the risk. Finally, in one scenario it's very feasible to wear it, in the other it is not.

Nobody is saying not to have a social life, just wear the freaking mask. They didn't and knew the rules. There is no hypocrisy.

the real absurdity of it all is the continued arguing against it...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We don't have the assets for PLD if they're looking for scoring help right away unless you're giving Kuzy up. Not so sure that makes 8 very happy either if that were to happen. He's probably already annoyed with the recent covid incident. Don't want him to flee over spilled milk.

We'd have to wipe the cupboard with futures to score him and that's only if CBJ wants futures.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
We don't have the assets for PLD if they're looking for scoring help right away unless you're giving Kuzy up. Not so sure that makes 8 very happy either if that were to happen. He's probably already annoyed with the recent covid incident. Don't want him to flee over spilled milk.

We'd have to wipe the cupboard with futures to score him and that's only if CBJ wants futures.

Hockey trade, and the fact that to work another C into our roster with our (zero) cap space would certainly mean it's Kuznetsov that would have to be dealt (CBJ would be looking for another C after trading theirs away).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
On the other hand, Dubois has a lower AAV this year and next and it allows them to pay 8 more. He knows it's a business and if that helps the later he'll deal.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I don't think the caps will end up offering the best deal here, but man I'd love Backy-PLD-Eller for a few years and then getting CMM in the mix.....

Let's be real, Kuzy will have CBJ on his NTC list, so it would probably hurt.... But Kuzy + LaPierre/AA/hopefully a worse prospect/pick and I'd probably do it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Has the NHL committed to returning to previous divisions post-covid? In other words, do we know if WSH and CBJ will be in the same division next year?

Could affect trade negotiations.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don't think the caps will end up offering the best deal here, but man I'd love Backy-PLD-Eller for a few years and then getting CMM in the mix.....

Let's be real, Kuzy will have CBJ on his NTC list, so it would probably hurt.... But Kuzy + LaPierre/AA/hopefully a worse prospect/pick and I'd probably do it.

Would the caps still inquire if CBJ is indeed on the NTC list? I don't know maybe they would, but seems like a waste of time if kuzy would just nix it.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Would the caps still inquire if CBJ is indeed on the NTC list? I don't know maybe they would, but seems like a waste of time if kuzy would just nix it.
He's not the only asset we could be trading.

Not against trading Kuzy to a team for assets to facilitate the trade, hope we don't give up someone like Vrana.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Nope, not interested in another prima donna, if that's what's going with PLD. We already have that in Kuzy.

I'd much rather do something for Barkov.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I’d take Dubois over Vrana without hesitation.
Don't disagree, but who'd be our 2LW then? Kuzy? CMM? Panik?

Don't like those options. Think Kuzy has to go firstly for the locker room refresh and secondly to open a hole in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad