Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was reading for Sprong takes as a PIT fan, but I agree on this 10000%. I think a lot of people don’t realize how much of a less Carlson / Letang type Piets is. He is a # 1 D, but he won the cup behind the Parayko and Bouwmeester pairing.
Yeah, big time buyer beware for me on his next contract.

I’m mildly excited about Sprong. He could be a huge scoring boost to our bottom six if he can round his game out a bit but my expectations are tempered.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, big time buyer beware for me on his next contract.

I’m mildly excited about Sprong. He could be a huge scoring boost to our bottom six if he can round his game out a bit but my expectations are tempered.

@AlexBrovechkin8

I can see him working with Hagelin and Eller really well given his flaws. That being said, I think despite his shot he just doesn't have the IQ to be an effective NHLer which is why he didn't work out in PIT (and I"m based in SoCal) or in ANA. Kind hope he works out because I kind of feel he got a raw deal here in PIT, but at the same time we had Hornqvist, Kessel and Rust above him.

That being said if he burst into flames on the ice that'd be cool too since he's a Cap now.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Strike one name off. They don't have a pick until the fourth round and no first rounder next season so expect them to move players for picks.

Jun 15, 2007

Strike one name off. They don't have a pick until the fourth round and no first rounder next season so expect them to move players for picks.

Well Hjalmarsson was never the d-man from Arizona I wanted anyway. I think we have enough defensemen with zero puck skills.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

Jun 15, 2007
Ignoring for a second if Arizona would do the trade.

Would you do

2020 1st
2021 1st
Kempny
Panik

For

OEL

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Mother of Dog, no. I like OEL and I agree he'd probably benefit from a change of scenery, but no frikin way. Even if you have a deepish prospect pool, you absolutely do not trade 2 firsts unless you're getting proven elite performance in return, and for a team like the Caps with so little talent in the cupboard, that would be an unforgivable move.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
OEL always was overrated in my book given how much hfb had been fanboying over him back in the day. Good shooter and that's pretty much all I can say about him. Never was an elite D to begin with. That being said if we imagine that the cap doesn't exist and look at pure player's value I would've taken a long look at this trade.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Mother of Dog, no. I like OEL and I agree he'd probably benefit from a change of scenery, but no frikin way. Even if you have a deepish prospect pool, you absolutely do not trade 2 firsts unless you're getting proven elite performance in return, and for a team like the Caps with so little talent in the cupboard, that would be an unforgivable move.

Do people really see any value in Panik and Kempny? I think with the seasons they had their value in todays covid market they provide negative value to this trade. OEL is a question mark as he's gone downhill a bit but that's propably as close to top-pairing guy you can get from the market without moving significant pieces from your roster or several of your blue-chip prospects. I don't really think those first-round picks provide nearly as much value as most think. The first pick is #25. If they get OEL for Panik, Kempny and futures, that other pick will likely not be in the top-20 either. That's not much value. Around the same as Lightning moved to acquire Blake Coleman to their third-line. His career high is 36 points. Single first-round pick in todays market gets you Barclay Goodrow. He has broken 18-point mark in the NHL once.

I would absolutely roll the dice on OEL at that price. Especially if it meant moving our own bad contracts in the process. Sure it's a risk that could backfire but at that price it's one worth taking. Even on his bad day OEL is still the 2nd best D on this team.

I mean what other proven top-pairing or even top-4 D's are on the market? Ones that would be available for just futures and in a deal where you get to dump your bad contracts too?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ignoring for a second if Arizona would do the trade.

Would you do

2020 1st
2021 1st
Kempny
Panik

For

OEL

Trade value is easily there. Kempny and Panik are cap throw ins so theoretically its basically just two low'ish 1sts. Value wise, easily doable. Dont see Arizona accepting though. Someone propably outbids that without blinking too.

But Caps going after OEL reminds so much Sharks trading for Karlsson. We should learn from their mistake. The whole idea of having OEL just doesnt work for us.. Highly expensive luxury. Use the money and assets to build quality depth.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
At this point I don’t think OEL is much better then current Shatenkirk . I doubt shatty would want to come back but he’s pretty much the same players without trading the bank.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
More player than they need for assets they need to keep. They need a left d for Carlson and a right d for Orlov. They dont need another 1d and their cap doesnt need another 1d contract. Meanwhile, well chosen players with those 2 1st rounders provides potential for top of the lineup impact players for that last years of 8/19. Those players create a post Ov foundation. I am not resigned to suckatude for the end of Ov and post Ov. Trading those two picks would make the suckatude heavy and brutal

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
More player than they need for assets they need to keep. They need a left d for Carlson and a right d for Orlov. They dont need another 1d and their cap doesnt need another 1d contract. Meanwhile, well chosen players with those 2 1st rounders provides potential for top of the lineup impact players for that last years of 8/19. Those players create a post Ov foundation. I am not resigned to suckatude for the end of Ov and post Ov. Trading those two picks would make the suckatude heavy and brutal

What tx said, plus ... Caps should want to retain at least one of those #1s for a possible TDL acquisition if their season merits that type of investment and a roster gap/weakness can be filled.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I am resigned to some post-Ovie suckage, but the duration and degree is TBD. Totally agree that throwing away two first round prospects for a high-cost D man who may not even address our needs is very likely to make the misery longer and more painful. No thanks.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am resigned to some post-Ovie suckage, but the duration and degree is TBD. Totally agree that throwing away two first round prospects for a high-cost D man who may not even address our needs is very likely to make the misery longer and more painful. No thanks.

See, I still am holding out hopes that Kuznetsov will be a legit 1c as Backstrom declines, that Vrana will become a legit 1LW as Ov declines and Wilson will remain no less than what he is now. Those could be legit first line players when Ov and Backstrom have slipped to 2c line level guys.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
See, I still am holding out hopes that Kuznetsov will be a legit 1c as Backstrom declines, that Vrana will become a legit 1LW as Ov declines and Wilson will remain no less than what he is now. Those could be legit first line players when Ov and Backstrom have slipped to 2c line level guys.
I too have hopes for all of those things, but I just think Ovie IS the Caps and those guys may be a bit rudderless, at least for a short while, without him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Their pipeline isn't full but it does contain guys with a lot of talent at positions of need. Vrana, Wilson, McMichael, Fehervary, Alexeyev, and Samsonov could compliment an aging Ovechkin and Backstrom pretty nicely. Protas looks like he could be a middle-six NHLer as well. Carlson is 30 so he should have half a decade of solid play left in this legs and I hope they re-up Orlov as well. They'll need to be smart with the cap and have the young guys hit but I don't think they're going to fall of completely in 2-3 years but who knows. The future at RW looks really weak and I imagine this is Oshie's last year in DC :)cry:) so they'll need to address that position via free agency or a trade. There are also a few names that could be decent bottom sixers like AJF, Malenstyn, and Pinho.

The 2016 draft hurts. I was hoping for Kyrou or Debrincat when they took Johansen who doesn't look like he has a future with the organization, or in the NHL at all. Priskie likely could be contending for a spot with the club right now too if he had signed. And I think they're going to get nothing out of Kody Clark or Riley Sutter from the 2018 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad