Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 1: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They still have Gudbranson and JJ. But I read that Kahun has some potential. Although they still have Malkin who will drag them down.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, I don’t know. GMBM was pretty clear about initially wanting another roster player as a return if they flipped Bura at the deadline and I don’t remember anyone ever describing the Caps as being in go for it mode back then. This seems like more elevated language, but I suppose we’ll all find out in due time. I didn’t really think they would make another Shattenkirk type move unless they were able to hold onto the player for a second season, as with Brassard and Muzzin more recently. We shall see.

If I've learned anything about gmbm it's that he almost always addresses the same needs we see, but in ways we don't expect. So yeah, who knows.

What are our clear needs that are obvious to us? That's where you start looking for the next move. Getting Niskanen off the books was priority #1 IMO and that's done. So is getting another defensive d-man who can gobble minutes and play tough. What's next? Gotta be secondary scoring in the bottom 6, and the PK.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If I've learned anything about gmbm it's that he almost always addresses the same needs we see, but in ways we don't expect. So yeah, who knows.

What are our clear needs that are obvious to us? That's where you start looking for the next move. Getting Niskanen off the books was priority #1 IMO and that's done. So is getting another defensive d-man who can gobble minutes and play tough. What's next? Gotta be secondary scoring in the bottom 6, and the PK.
Filling out the 3rd line is the priority and what’s expected is 2 of Hagelin, Connolly, Burakovsky, and Johansson.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
What other salary to move is there, though? Oshie? Orlov? Would they deal Vrana for a different style skilled player? Acquiring Gudas doesn't really fit Joe B's eye-opening category so you wonder...

It's hard to believe they'd be considered aggressively all-in if their only remaining business is to move Burakovsky and sign Vrana, Hagelin and a few cheap UFAs to round out the roster.
What did Joe B say? I’ve seen his comment mentioned a few times here but haven’t actually seen the comment itself.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What did Joe B say? I’ve seen his comment mentioned a few times here but haven’t actually seen the comment itself.
He said he'd heard rumors he considered eye-opening. Whether that was what was going out or coming in he didn't get into. My assumption was it was more the later but you never know. Maybe it was just a wide net cast about when shopping Niskanen but more likely they're just doing due diligence and not ruling out anything bigger.

Reactions: caps4cup

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, I cant understand anti Panarin crowd. This is very rare occasion when high level UFA is available and he has no easy pick of a team (I bet he wants to win and both FLA and NYR arent looking like winning soon).

He has clear connection with Ovi, Kuzy and Orlov and Caps have two elite centers to play with him. From contending standpoint its good fit. Even PP slot is there.

Money? Well, its doable. I bet JR is making space to do exactly that - bid for Panarin. He will trade Kessel and try to sign Breadman.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be for it in theory but they can probably only do something like 7x$6M and even that might not be doable. I'm guessing Panarin picks money and location over contending and ends up signing for $9M+ with one of those rebuilding teams. A main contender will have a tough time matching.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Panarin.

1. Do the Caps want to pay a player more than Ovechkin to play behind Ovechkin with Backstrom and Ovechkin due extentions? That doesn't make sense to me.
2. What are the Caps needs? They don't need another star player.
3. Where does Panarin play? His pp spot is Ov's office. That aint happening. The other right shot spot is Oshie's bumper spot which Panarin is not remotely suited for. Would sign Panarin for more than Ov is making and then move Ov out of his office to fit Panarin?

The Caps need 3rd line scoring. Not an $11m 2nd line left wing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd be for it in theory but they can probably only do something like 7x$6M and even that might not be doable. I'm guessing Panarin picks money and location over contending and ends up signing for $9M+ with one of those rebuilding teams. A main contender will have a tough time matching.

I would be shocked if Panarin doesn't sign in Sunrise. There is a very large Russian community there. Its a year round home for many current and former Russian NHL players. Coach Q gives hope of contending. Bob is signing there too. This is Suter and Parise go to the Wild a few years ago all over again

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I really am not interested in a top 6 forward not named Zucker. I would like to see us sure up depth and then heavily pursue Zucker.

Wild are rebuilding so I think maybe
Bura+Johansen+pick+ other prospect for Zucker.

Here’s my thoughts on the two, Panarin, while a superior player, made his disdain for his club and city clear. I cannot imagine him quietly taking in a role where he’s the 3rd-4th most popular forward.

Zucker has played on underachieving teams his entire career, he’s quite possibly the most underrated player in the NHL and he has done nothing but give back to his city and team. Zucker will play whatever role you place him in and on top of that he’ll be well liked in the locker room. He fills that vet role we lost in Nisky.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Panarin is game breaker at ES and we are discussing 6M long term for Vrana already. Not a big difference, but Panarin is at the peak now, and Vrana will get there somewhere someday maybe.

Go for it mode is much closer to favorite Panarin over Vrana.

Its a fantasy but why not enquire?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Panarin is game breaker at ES and we are discussing 6M long term for Vrana already. Not a big difference, but Panarin is at the peak now, and Vrana will get there somewhere someday maybe.

Go for it mode is much closer to favorite Panarin over Vrana.

Come on. Answer my questions.

You think its a good idea to sign a player for more money than Ovechkin is getting to play behind Ovechkin? I assume from your ES comments that you could live with Panarin not having a role on pp1. Why would you sign a guy to an $11m contract and not use him on the power play??

The Capitals don't need him. They need a 3rd line 20 goal scorer. BTW. I think $6m for Vrana is a bit rich but its nearly 50 cents on the dollar to the cost of Panarin and fits the available role much better

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
He said he'd heard rumors he considered eye-opening.

Thought experiment...assumptions:

· GMBM is clearly proactive right now
· Trades are often opportunity driven, so staff should have a number of what-ifs thought out in case opportunities arise.
· Many people like me love Holtby, but also recognize he has not been the same without Korn.
· Bennington factor may increase willingness to give Samsonov a try at #1.

So what would be the what-if return that would be a yes for Washington... If we offered our first + next year's first + Johannsen... what is the highest 1st we could get back that we would be OK with? Start with New Jersey, worst they can do is laugh. What about the Rangers?

As you drop away from the top 2 take next year's 1st out of the equasion.

Bottom line is moving Holts now along with next year's 1st to get a stud top 3 or top 6 Wing or Centre pick who can contribute soon - along with the additional cap relief - potentially lengthens the window for OV and Backstorm.

Other thoughts for me... No to Mojo, no to Panarin, Zucker is interesting, don't qualify Burky (OK to bring him back at 1.5 for one or two), OK to Hags 1.5 for one, thanks and bye to Connelly and Stephenson. Lock in Virana. Keep Orlov (key to Russian chemistry) and see how he flies in the new D. Best wishes to Kempny in Seattle. I'm also really hoping AA can blossom and contribute soon. Lots of these are moving parts and are contingent on how thing evolve.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
He said he'd heard rumors he considered eye-opening. Whether that was what was going out or coming in he didn't get into. My assumption was it was more the later but you never know. Maybe it was just a wide net cast about when shopping Niskanen but more likely they're just doing due diligence and not ruling out anything bigger.
To me the most plausible "eye-opening" move - taking account of what the org said about keeping Ovie and Nicky for as long as they want - is a move of Holtby. Can't see us paying him more money after his contract expires this year, and not sure we're getting incremental value from him over younger and/or cheaper options. If that's the cold-blooded, unsentimental assessment of the asset performance, moving him now (while he still has some Cup halo glow left) makes the most sense. Also he's a 6.1 million cap hit, but only costs 5 million in actual salary, so even budget-conscious teams might be attracted

The only other plausible "eye-opener" is moving Kuzy. But I think it's still too early to tell whether last year's "enigmatic" play was an aberration, or who the guy really is. If it's the latter, that would be a pretty abrupt about-face from the guy you decide to pay 7.8 million to until 2025. So I don't think it's Kuzy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
MacLellan wants to win the cup again next season. If he trades Holtby, who is the goalie to back stop a playoff run?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
As you drop away from the top 2 take next year's 1st out of the equasion.

Bottom line is moving Holts now along with next year's 1st to get a stud top 3 or top 6 who can contribute soon - along with the additional cap relief - potentially lengthens the window for OV and Backstorm.
You could take the firsts out of the equation I think with Holtby straight across for 6, 7, 8, 11 or 13. He's more proven than Schneider was when moved. Maybe Colorado at 4 if they want to swap out Grubauer or something but that's more remote. Probably not Philly either given proximity but there's at least a surface fit with the rest. I find it unlikely but you never know.

In the 6-8 range I could see the value in it but less so at 11 or thereafter. Podkolzin, Zegras, Cozens, Caufield or Boldy would give them a solid middle six piece but I'd guess they'd probably want someone that could help them immediately also since all of them are likely a year or two away. The cap space would be used for that but they'd probably want a little extra as well. Detroit is probably comfortable taking it slowly but maybe they could catch Edmonton or Buffalo more desperate to become relevant again. Not sure there's anything those teams could do that would help more than that.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
MacLellan wants to win the cup again next season. If he trades Holtby, who is the goalie to back stop a playoff run?
Well the Blues just won with a guy who had been in the minor leagues for 5 previous seasons, started the year there, and was 4th on their depth chart. It would be a bit of a dereliction of duty for teams not to look at that and pause long enough to ask whether their approach to the position warrants a re-think. You can decide to answer the question "No it doesn't," but you need to go through the exercise, especially with the quality of minor leaguers the Caps have

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well the Blues just won with a guy who had been in the minor leagues for 5 previous seasons, started the year there, and was 4th on their depth chart. It would be a bit of a dereliction of duty for teams not to look at that and pause long enough to ask whether their approach to the position warrants a re-think. You can decide to answer the question "No it doesn't," but you need to go through the exercise, especially with the quality of minor leaguers the Caps have

I am aware of that. Its a rare thing. You are ready to roll the dice on one of OV's dwindling chances to repeat by going with a completely unproven goaltender?

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I have no problem with moving Holtby. But i do have a problem with moving Holtby now. Samsonov is not ready. You want to bring him in slowly. Sime of you want to throw him into the lion's den. He needs time to adjust to the NHL level.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I am aware of that. Its a rare thing. You are ready to roll the dice on one of OV's dwindling chances to repeat by going with a completely unproven goaltender?
I'm saying it's rational to ask the question, based on Holtby being pretty ordinary last year, the unlikelihood of having him on the team after 2019-2020, and Samsonov and Vanecek making pretty significant strides. They could also run the analytics and decide there are available net-minders in the NHL who can produce the same performance as Holtby for half (or more) of the cap hit. Again, I'm keying all of this off the statement that there's an "eye-opening" move under consideration. Holtby is the one that seems most plausible

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
The question I asked myself was this:

Would you be scared of a team in the playoffs that had Holtby.

To me, the answer is no

He will never be like a Lunquist, Thomas, Quick to me. Those goalies that you knew in the playoffs could steal you games

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
If you pull off a Holtby-for-a-pick deal that garners a top Wing or Centre from this draft who can contribute soon, you could grab a free agent G for one year to platoon with Samsonov if needed. Or trade for a G rental at the deadline, if needed.

Point is there is an opportunity to move Holts, get a stud top 6 forward, along with further cap flexibility. If that creates some issues in net there are steps that can be taken to mitigate that in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad