Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not gung ho about Greeny, but... I'm also not excited about Jenson, who I'd really like to move on from. Depends on what we have to add to Jenson to make this happen.

While not realistic, if Detroit offers Green @ 50% for Jenson, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I really just don't know if Jenson has any trade value (or even negative trade value)?
Meh. I’d far far rather use Jensen’s Sal cap slot on a forward that can make a difference, than an old and partially broken Mike Green.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Theoretically, if you are not happy with Jensen and his contract (that you gave him just this past offeseason lol), this is a great move to do it by getting an expiring and old fan favorite.

It just goes against the idea of going all in and shoring up the defense for this year's playoffs though. But then again, stranger things have happened before.

Two things, that I think I think :)

Green's defensive play is not as bad as it's reputation (at least to the extent I've seen - which isn't much since he went to Detroit).

Jenson's defense hasn't been all that impressive, and his offense is non-existent. I've liked his zone exit passing, other than that, he's a very "meh" player.

From where I stand, I wouldn't see this as a problem to, "shoring up our defense."

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Meh. I’d far far rather use Jensen’s Sal cap slot on a forward that can make a difference, than an old and partially broken Mike Green.

Well the supposed genius of a Jensen-Green trade is that we wouldn't have to cough up futures or picks to Detroit I'm assuming to unload Jensen's contract (or at least we would at a lower price) .

If there is any team in the league that gives Jensen that kind of value right now, it would be his old team.

Why else would Detroit take Jensen's contract off our hands? They have plenty of cap space and can just wait for Green to expire this summer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My point wasn’t that GMBM wanted Kovy, my point is that simply because he passed on him in Dec doesn’t mean he will pass in him again in end of Feb.

“He passed on him once so he will pass on him again”. That’s bunk as a baseline, is all. As everyone passed on him once. But he’s looking like he will he traded so someone is going to change their opinion here.

You’re right it doesn’t mean he will pass on him again.......but he may have never wanted him in the first place and if so, probably still doesn’t (my opinion)...we’ll see where he ends up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ovechkin Backstrom Wilson
Vrana Kuzy Oshie.

Each of those lines have a passer, a finisher and a retriever. If Kuzy is the retriever, the Caps dont get dumped pucks back or Ov's shots that dont go in. If Ov is the F1 physical player then who is the finisher?

Or are you thinking they can carry it in all the time in the playoffs?
As I stated, I wasn’t advocating for any one particular line.
If you have neigh pick carriers, you may not need a retriever. Things don’t need to be so set in their ways. Caps 3rd line in the cup run was Conno-Eller-Bura. Who was the retriever there?

we could see:
Ovy - Backstrom - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Kuz
Panik/Hags - Pageau - Oshie
Panik/Hags - Dowd - Hathaway

there are SO many options. I know you like to people into slots. I think by looking at the trade for Dillon, GMBM is saying “screw slots, I just want the best players, and then we can figure it out”

NHL players have played all over the place in their careers. I think we all seriously overblow the whole “LW and only LW” or “C and only C” or “RD and only RD” stuff.

we judge BMac on his words and actions. He says the team needs to be better. He says he wants to add wherever he can. He just did it w Dillon. He will do it again at F, IMO

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Two things, that I think I think :)

Green's defensive play is not as bad as it's reputation (at least to the extent I've seen - which isn't much since he went to Detroit).

Jenson's defense hasn't been all that impressive, and his offense is non-existent. I've liked his zone exit passing, other than that, he's a very "meh" player.

From where I stand, I wouldn't see this as a problem to, "shoring up our defense."

I admit, I haven't really seen Green play the last few years so I don't know. Only see the injury news and that horrible virus infection that took him out of the whole 2019 season. Glad he fought it off.

Reactions: discobob

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As I stated, I wasn’t advocating for any one particular line.
If you have neigh pick carriers, you may not need a retriever. Things don’t need to be so set in their ways. Caps 3rd line in the cup run was Conno-Eller-Bura. Who was the retriever there?

we could see:
Ovy - Backstrom - Wilson
Vrana - Eller - Kuz
Panik/Hags - Pageau - Oshie
Panik/Hags - Dowd - Hathaway

there are SO many options. I know you like to people into slots. I think by looking at the trade for Dillon, GMBM is saying “screw slots, I just want the best players, and then we can figure it out”

NHL players have played all over the place in their careers. I think we all seriously overblow the whole “LW and only LW” or “C and only C” or “RD and only RD” stuff.

we judge BMac on his words and actions. He says the team needs to be better. He says he wants to add wherever he can. He just did it w Dillon. He will do it again at F, IMO

Eller was the retriever. That's what Eller does best. You know that. You also understand that any opponent against a line that cant dump it in will force them to dump it in.

Kuzy is not a Caps style winger. MacLellan is quoted regular recently of his desire to play heavy hockey. You cant do that with Kuznetsov on the wing

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Three-way trade:

To Washington:
Green (@50%) and Kovalchuk

To Detroit:
Fourth rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect

To Montreal:
Jensen
Third rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect.

Would work cap-wise, too.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Green Jensen swap is a good swap. Even if Green isn't an NHL player anymore, they rid of Nicky's contract and help themselves with the offseason moves.

where are the stats nerds with the Green vs Jensen heatmaps and stuff when you need them?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Ovechkin Backstrom Wilson
Vrana Kuzy Oshie.

Each of those lines have a passer, a finisher and a retriever. If Kuzy is the retriever, the Caps dont get dumped pucks back or Ov's shots that dont go in. If Ov is the F1 physical player then who is the finisher?

Or are you thinking they can carry it in all the time in the playoffs?
I don’t think Vrana and Kuznetsov are a good fit at all. Vrana has been MUCH better away from Kuznetsov this year. Kuzy is dragging him down and I think the fact that neither of them are very good on the forecheck and are kind of soft is the main problem. In 376 minutes with Kuzy here are Vrana’s 5v5 metrics:

CF% with 92: 45.4%
CF% without 92: 57.9%

GF% with 92: 50.9%
GF% without 92: 63.6%

xGF% with 92: 46.8%
xGF% without 92: 58.3%

By contrast, his second most common center is Eller (273 minutes with):

CF% with 20: 58.2%
CF% without 20: 47%

GF% with 20: 62.5%
GF% without 20: 52.6%

xGF% with 20: 53.9%
xGF% without 20: 49.9%

He’s posted even better numbers with Backstrom in a much smaller sample size this year. In the last 2 years, his numbers with Backstrom and Eller have been nearly identical in a very similar sample size.

This is why I think it’s important for them to acquire a top 9 forward that could play with Kuznetsov and Oshie. The top line has actually had pretty good metrics together but a very low PDO so I would keep them together because that line should start getting better results. Eller and Vrana work extremely well together so pair them with Hagelin/Panik on the third line. I think a guy like Saad would fit very well with Kuzy and Oshie.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So.....we bring back Green and MaJo.

oh —- no? Lol
giphy.gif

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I guess we could still trade for another forward, but a straight Nick Jensen for 50% Mike Green is only a $62,500 cap saving. So pretty much the same boat.

That would leave our Trade Deadline Day cap space at $1,140,379. Would have to be a $2 million cap hit type player with 50% retained as well‬

I must be a damned fool and doing math all wrong. We wouldn't save $62,500.

We'll be losing $187,500 in cap space.

So trade deadline day cap space at $890,379

Whoops! sorry

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Semin could be signed out of KHL I guess. Cant be worse than Bura :P

Honestly, Green acquisition blocks the potential 2RD upgrade. Its kinda the white flag. So Im against it.

If nothing works then sure, change them at the last hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad