Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
How do you know that?

The nature of goaltending is that on any given night or in any given 20 game stretch, any goalie can outperform any other goalie. The difference between great Vezina winning goalies and backups is consistency.

The last ten years have been rife with backup or not so great goalies getting hot for 20 games and leading their team to the Cup or the Finals. By signing a quality backup, the Caps get that extra out. It may or may not come into play, but having it is certainly better than not having it.

Because otherwise what are you even advocating for? The season is lost, so might as well not have a good backup?

I’m not against singing a vet backup goalie. But in a salary cap world I would rather use the money on a everyday player.
People are mad a Jensen at 2.5 mil and want it used for a backup goalie? I would look for a vet goalie who wants a shot at starting role on a winning team for under 1m

Jun 15, 2007
I’m not against singing a vet backup goalie. But in a salary cap world I would rather use the money on a everyday player.
People are mad a Jensen at 2.5 mil and want it used for a backup goalie? I would look for a vet goalie who wants a shot at starting role on a winning team for under 1m

Samsonov has never played more than 37 games a season. I want a backup that can play at least 30 games.

Also with Vrana due for a monster raise the season after, it's good to sign someone for a year only. Goalies sign 1 year deals all the time, while skaters do less often.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Wish I had warm fuzzy like you do but I don’t, Holtby has been an absolute Anchor for us and a huge reason we won the cup. Playing at a very high level this year and if we go into next season with Sammy and whoever else I’ll be a bit worried. Maybe if we got a guy like Markstrom or Lehner id feel better but the homerism in me wants Holtby

I'm with you on this, but I am thinking it will all come down to what happens in the playoffs. If we win another Cup are the Caps happy to let Holtby sign elsewhere? I'm going to say yes.
If we fall short do they push to keep him?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Watching Toronto the last few years should dissuade everyone from thinking a contender can get away with using a minimum wage backup goalie, no matter who the starter is.

Need some quality at least.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad