Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Orpik needs to stay on the 3rd pair. Give young Jonas an opportunity to play with Carlson.

I think I'd rather give Djoos more time alongside Carlson and let Bowey/Jonas/whoever else play on the third pair.

Speaking of Djoos, did Isabelle or someone else say he was actually able to put on some weight this summer? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere but I can't find it anywhere.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Siege's last game was definitely a massive step up from his previous games. He looked much more steady in the back-end. I still have significant concerns regarding him against a full NHL roster, though. He often got turnstyled by forwards in his previous pre-season games, and even in the most recent game he struggled with breakout passes (often hesistating before either dumping it up the boards or making a cross-ice pass that put his D partner in a bad spot). The injury to Kempny and Bowey's struggles have opened up an opportunity for him, but rushing him into a Top 4 spot would be dangerous IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

The top 4 is ideal given Kempny's injury but that third pairing needs massive improvement over last year's performance. They were close to dead last in all of CF%, GF%, and xGF% despite going against mediocre competition and somewhat offensive zone starts.

I don't know if there is a better option right now but if 44-22 doesn't work I'd make a change pretty quickly and give one of the other young guys a shot alongside Orpik.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The top 4 is ideal given Kempny's injury but that third pairing needs massive improvement over last year's performance. They were close to dead last in all of CF%, GF%, and xGF% despite going against mediocre competition and somewhat offensive zone starts.

I don't know if there is a better option right now but if 44-22 doesn't work I'd make a change pretty quickly and give one of the other young guys a shot alongside Orpik.
You just skate the 3rd pairing for about 8 minutes a night and let Orpik PK

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You just skate the 3rd pairing for about 8 minutes a night and let Orpik PK

That's likely the best scenario but I think it's only a short term fix which assumes that Kempny's absence wouldn't be an extended one. I don't want to run Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson, and Djoos into the ground in October, November, and December if MK is sidelined long-term and 44-22 continue to be unplayable.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That's likely the best scenario but I think it's only a short term fix which assumes that Kempny's absence wouldn't be an extended one. I don't want to run Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson, and Djoos into the ground in October, November, and December if MK is sidelined long-term and 44-22 continue to be unplayable.

And especially since I'm not particularly convinced Bowey is even better or has a higher ceiling than any of Siegenthaler, Johansen, or even Hobbs. At some point Bowey is going to need to make the next step, otherwise there are other options that should be attempted.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Week to week? damn. Day to day can usual run a couple of weeks. Week to week is almost always a month or more
I'm not 100% sure how injury spots work but maybe being conservative with Boyd has something to do with opening a roster spot for Sieg while Kempny is down.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I’d prefer to actually see them play a real game this year before assuming a pair is unplayable. It’s a long season. Nobody is getting run into the ground before Christmas.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With Boyd hurt and DSP in the doghouse, this is Gersich's moment to shine.

Walker or LOB could also be in the mix, but Gersich has the most upside of the bunch and should look to sieze this opportunity

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
With Boyd hurt and DSP in the doghouse, this is Gersich's moment to shine.

Walker or LOB could also be in the mix, but Gersich has the most upside of the bunch and should look to sieze this opportunity
I think Gersich has options though as opposed to Walker and Barber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce