Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Have you guys seen this?

Mount Puckmore: Four players who define each Metro team

ESPN put out an article on the four most important players in franchise history for every team in the Metro.
For the Caps, its OV, Langway, Kolzig and Hunter.

IMO it should have been OV, Langway, Kolzig and Holtby (although omitting Peter Bondra somehow feels like sacrilege).

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I lucked out and my parents scored me game 1 tickets for this season. I've woke them up all hours of the night during the 98 run so my mom and step dad knew just how much this meant to me watching them win the cup. They were trying to find me decent air fare to vegas last minute because I was going to fork over the money for game 5 tickets.

Either way I'm looking at section 118 seats for the banner raising. As someone that's no longer in the NoVA area has there been any word on pregame cup viewing chances? I'd love tobe able to score a picture with the cup.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If I had to guess, I think most of us will live happily in a hooneymoon period for this season and possibly next. Unfortunately, this season and next are likely also the best window for winning another Cup before more substantial roster changes are mandated via age and expiring contracts. In a few years, if the franchise still only has one Cup, I think a lot of the heartburn and frustration may re-emerge, and we'll look more on the Ovechkin era with a more dual perspective (finally won a Cup, but also wasted potential). I know a lot of Phillies fans feel the same way about their 2008 Championship. It was awesome for them to break the city's championship curse, but that core probably should have been able to get at least one other Championship.

Of course this is all spitballing. This is uncharted territory for both the franchise and its fans.

The honeymoon from this playoffs will last a lifetime for me. Anything else they accomplish is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. It can't get any better than the way the put away the past failures in this past playoff.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I lucked out and my parents scored me game 1 tickets for this season. I've woke them up all hours of the night during the 98 run so my mom and step dad knew just how much this meant to me watching them win the cup. They were trying to find me decent air fare to vegas last minute because I was going to fork over the money for game 5 tickets.

Either way I'm looking at section 118 seats for the banner raising. As someone that's no longer in the NoVA area has there been any word on pregame cup viewing chances? I'd love tobe able to score a picture with the cup.
Nothing yet that I’ve seen.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Luck is the biggest thing in hockey with all things being more or less equal. Pens got lucky in 2017, less lucky in 2016 (they were just the better team). We got lucky in some ways this year. Panarin's post in a dying minutes in game 3, phantom goal by the Pens in game 2 which was 90% a good goal but referees call on the ice was no goal and that saved Caps asses, Kunhackl post in OT of game 6. Multiple posts that went against Vegas, especially Neal's one. To me, it doesnt matter that much since Caps won but talking about luck as something marginal is not very smart.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Luck is the biggest thing in hockey with all things being more or less equal. Pens got lucky in 2017, less lucky in 2016 (they were just the better team). We got lucky in some ways this year. Panarin's post in a dying minutes in game 3, phantom goal by the Pens in game 2 which was 90% a good goal but referees call on the ice was no goal and that saved Caps asses, Kunhackl post in OT of game 6. Multiple posts that went against Vegas, especially Neal's one. To me, it doesnt matter that much since Caps won but talking about luck as something marginal is not very smart.

Didn't we have a huge debate about this topic only a month ago?

Yes, we did.

A little odd that the same two guys who blew up the Wilson thread are also the ones who keep talking about winning the Cup because of luck.

9d5.png

Would you like to list the factors in this Cup run, ranked, and assigned percentages for their impact? What is "marginal"?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Yes, we did.

A little odd that the same two guys who blew up the Wilson thread are also the ones who keep talking about winning the Cup because of luck.

9d5.png

Would you like to list the factors in this Cup run, ranked, and assigned percentages for their impact? What is "marginal"?
Marginal is something that didnt have a deciding impact on the outcome of a game. I see you still celebrating so I won't bother to argue. Sorry for blewing Wilson thread up but I'm sure you can handle that.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Marginal is something that didnt have a deciding impact on the outcome of a game. I see you still celebrating so I won't bother to argue. Sorry for blewing Wilson thread up but I'm sure you can handle that.

Would you like to list the factors in this Cup run, ranked, and assigned percentages for their impact? How many games do you think they won mostly because of luck?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Would you like to list the factors in this Cup run, ranked, and assigned percentages for their impact? How many games do you think they won mostly because of luck?
No, I wouldnt. I listed them right above altho not all of them. Just dont see the point in spending hours to explain simple things to people with "we were just too good, luck is a bullshit" attitude. We can agree to disagree.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, I wouldnt. I listed them right above altho not all of them. Just dont see the point in spending hours to explain simple things to people with "we were just too good, luck is a bull****" attitude. We can agree to disagree.

Nobody says luck is bullshit. It's a small part and confirmation bias often exaggerates its effect. You disagree and believe anyone who isn't of your mind is dumb. I'd like to know why you think people are stupid if they disagree with you.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Nobody says luck is bull****. It's a small part and confirmation bias often exaggerates its effect. You disagree and believe anyone who isn't of your mind is dumb. I'd like to know why you think people are stupid if they disagree with you.
I'm not going to say luck got us the cup. It pretty far down the list of factors. I will say though that if that Columbus shot in OT of game 3 doesn't hit the crossbar we are still a miserable fan base

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not going to say luck got us the cup. It pretty far down the list of factors. I will say though that if that Columbus shot in OT of game 3 doesn't hit the crossbar we are still a miserable fan base

Per the NHL stats we had 19 of our shots hit the crossbar or post throughout the playoffs. Vegas had 17. And if you look on down the list the average doesn't significantly differ from close to around 1 per game.

So again, it's mostly confirmation bias that causes the majority of such plays to stand out. All teams have good and bad luck. The best teams are more primed to capitalize on chances.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Nobody says luck is bull****. It's a small part and confirmation bias often exaggerates its effect. You disagree and believe anyone who isn't of your mind is dumb. I'd like to know why you think people are stupid if they disagree with you.
No, its is actually you and several other posters here getting triggered every time you see my posts so you exaggerate what I'm saying and make it look like I'm saying some stupid shit. For example, I said that Panarin with the puck is more dynamic than Ovechkin these days. Ovi's fans turned it into some ridiculous stuff like "Tooth wants to trade Ovechkin for Panarin". I said Wilson got overpaid and his physical presence ain't worth 5M and after that whole board fell apart in anger over that. Now I'm saying luck is a big part of most of success stories and gave examples of when that was the case for the Caps and you're going after me yet again. The fact is when I was watching this playoffs and many others were too, we noticed that every big moment in key games, key situations, key seconds went Caps way which wasnt the case previous years. In fact I don't remember any real clutch post in favor of the Vegas and I actually rewatched the whole series. On the other hand Vegas got stoned by several ones that could turn the wind in different direction were they goals.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Yes, we did.

9d5.png

I would like to not do the "luck factor" debate again.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, its is actually you and several other posters here getting triggered every time you see my posts so you exaggerate what I'm saying and make it look like I'm saying some stupid ****. For example, I said that Panarin with the puck is more dynamic than Ovechkin these days. Ovi's fans turned it into some ridiculous stuff like "Tooth wants to trade Ovechkin for Panarin". I said Wilson got overpaid and his physical presence ain't worth 5M and after that whole board fell apart in anger over that. Now I'm saying luck is a big part of most of success stories and gave examples of when that was the case for the Caps and you're going after me yet again. The fact is when I was watching this playoffs and many others were too, we noticed that every big moment in key games, key situations, key seconds went Caps way which wasnt the case previous years. In fact I don't remember any real clutch post in favor of the Vegas and I actually rewatched the whole series. On the other hand Vegas got stoned by several ones that could turn the wind in different direction were they goals.

Triggered, lol.

You said luck is the biggest thing in hockey all other things being equal, and anyone who disagrees with your take on luck is dumb. This is not really up for debate, it's quoted further up the page.

So again, it's odd that you and the other guy who bombed the Wilson thread both have similar takes on luck being such a huge factor when just about everyone else acknowledges it's role but is more measured about it. Most seem to understand the other factors involved, and how confirmation bias can cause us to focus more on certain things but less on others (like little seemingly coin flip plays here and there that go one way or another). This happens all the time, but we ignore/filter or forget things that don't fit our impressions.

Complex things appear to be magic to those who aren't familiar with them. So a fan who only sees pucks hitting posts or going wide is going to only see it as luck rather than the product of strategy, effort, skill, reaction time, persistence, positioning, etc.

So we can disagree on who's "not very smart" on this topic.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Triggered, lol.

You said luck is the biggest thing in hockey all other things being equal, and anyone who disagrees with your take on luck is dumb. This is not really up for debate, it's quoted further up the page.

So again, it's odd that you and the other guy who bombed the Wilson thread both have similar takes on luck being such a huge factor when just about everyone else acknowledges it's role but is more measured about it. Most seem to understand the other factors involved, and how confirmation bias can cause us to focus more on certain things but less on others (like little seemingly coin flip plays here and there that go one way or another). This happens all the time, but we ignore/filter or forget things that don't fit our impressions.

Complex things appear to be magic to those who aren't familiar with them. So a fan who only sees pucks hitting posts or going wide is going to only see it as luck rather than the product of strategy, effort, skill, reaction time, persistence, positioning, etc.

So we can disagree on who's "not very smart" on this topic.
"..talking about luck as something marginal is not very smart". I didn't call anyone dumb, I said to say something like this is not very smart. You're just spitting bullshit all over the place. If I want to call you dumb I will send you a personal message with the diagnosis (stay tuned by the way). Here I'm just posting hockey related thigns which obviously get you triggered :laugh:. You just have an agenda to reply some nonsense to every my post this summer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Look. It’s simple. If there are posters that want to move on from the euphoria of last seasons Cup win, they can. If those same posters want to think people still basking in that win are coloured in a certain way, they can. If posters want to bash the Wilson contract, they can. If posters want to pursue the luck angle, they can.

And if other posters want to call all of that bunk, then they can too. Neither side should get too terribly up in arms about it. There will always be disagreements amongst our own fan base. I’m over it.

For the record, I waited 40yrs for the Cup win. To think that will fade for someone like me in 40days is....well...it’s something. Maybe it’s all related to how long you waited, or how badly you wanted it. Or not. Maybe it’s just the make up of the individual.

Either way.....cheers

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Look. It’s simple. If there are posters that want to move on from the euphoria of last seasons Cup win, they can. If those same posters want to think people still basking in that win are coloured in a certain way, they can. If posters want to bash the Wilson contract, they can. If posters want to pursue the luck angle, they can.

And if other posters want to call all of that bunk, then they can too. Neither side should get too terribly up in arms about it. There will always be disagreements amongst our own fan base. I’m over it.

For the record, I waited 40yrs for the Cup win. To think that will fade for someone like me in 40days is....well...it’s something. Maybe it’s all related to how long you waited, or how badly you wanted it. Or not. Maybe it’s just the make up of the individual.

Either way.....cheers
One of the sanest posts I've ever read on these boards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Either way.....cheers

Milne wrote Eeyor for a reason. Call me Pooh. Thanks

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
After following this team for 30 years and giving them like a 6-20% chance of winning the Cup 20+ of those years, it's like them winning somehow proves every idea I've ever had about the sport, like I've been sitting here with this faith in their overall vision and was rewarded so clearly the best path to a championship is to [tank for high end talent, pay for scorers that produce in the playoffs like Oshie and Kuzy, and have everyone else buy in to the trap]. For other long suffering fans I'm sure [] is different and when we're questioned it's like How can you not see this now we just saw proof of concept?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The biggest thing for me is that it raises the bar going forward in a way that should only be positive. No longer should they imagine pressure situations with trepidation. No longer do they have the carry around the baggage of past disappointments. Those moments still have relevance as lessons learned but the weight should be off. That should drive them throughout their training and, along with the new staff, motivate them to do their best to remain on top. That confidence and determination may not go 100% for those that didn't factor in during the Cup run but even for them there should, at least in the short-term, be more of an institutional sense of confidence and positivity.

Even a decade from now there will be the utility of those other guys in the past with the same name having done it before. It's a game-changer organizationally, particularly given this franchise's overall history. I'd hope it's not a one-off and there's still more team accomplishments to come but once they've actually done it losses will be far easier to get over. For both the team and the fanbase it should be much easier, at least in the short-term, to keep focus on what can be controlled and let other distractions fade away.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Yes, we did.

9d5.png

Apparently their short term memory is as flakey as their belief that luck finally hoisted the Cup for the Caps. One of many factors contributing to the win, but hardly a major one. It’s not like they clinched on a fluky goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: