Post-Game Talk: caps @ devs 1 pm 2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Sucks they lost. I hate early start games. Grrrr... At least the Pens got crushed by Buffalo. :thumbu:

Congrats to Ovie, though. 700 goals is phenomenal. :)

Hopefully Ovie getting to 700 will end that distraction. It seemed to be weighing on the team.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Its both too early and too late to fire Reirden. He has this season to showcase he can put a spark back for this team.

Reirden still has solid RS record (with a good team, sure) and only one chance at the playoffs that was a game 7 ot loss. They are going to give him another go, rightfully so. He was their guy, and still is.

Also 20 games is too little of time to make any fundamental changes to game structures. Theres no sure thing coach to take over. Failing this season with a new coach would already set the clock for ”fire Gallant/Laviolette/Boudreau” because they didnt correct the team in 20 games. Its Reirden on the spot for this year. Lets see what he can do with it.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Its both too early and too late to fire Reirden. He has this season to showcase he can put a spark back for this team.

Reirden still has solid RS record (with a good team, sure) and only one chance at the playoffs that was a game 7 ot loss. They are going to give him another go, rightfully so. He was their guy, and still is.

Also 20 games is too little of time to make any fundamental changes to game structures. Theres no sure thing coach to take over. Failing this season with a new coach would already set the clock for ”fire Gallant/Laviolette/Boudreau” because they didnt correct the team in 20 games. Its Reirden on the spot for this year. Lets see what he can do with it.
No thanks as I have seen enough. Give me Laviolette and this team will be playing like an good NHL team again.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
No thanks as I have seen enough. Give me Laviolette and this team will be playing like an good NHL team again.

They will break through this adversity as a group. Or not at all. Laviolette doesnt have a magic swan.

only acceptable reason to fire Reirden is if they feel like he has lost the respect from his players. I dont see them signaling anything like that.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Being the 40th anniversary of The Miracle On Ice, some very great and weird things happened in the NHL tonight.

1. OV scores his 700th goal. What's weird about it is Nick Jensen got the 2ndary assist. Jensen was born in the same town as Herb Brooks, who was coach of Team USA 40 years ago. Kuzy got the primary assist. OV/Kuzy being Russian, correlates to USA upsetting what was known as the USSR back then.

2. Canes vs Leafs in Toronto. Both Canes goalies(Reimer, Mrazek) had to leave the game due to injuries. With 8:41 left in the 2nd period and the Canes leading 3-1, 42 year old Emergency Goalie David Ayres has come into the game. What's funny is he's a Zamboni Driver for the Toronto Marlies(Leafs AHL farm team). In 28:41 of NHL action, Ayres faced a total of 10 shots. Leafs scored on their first 2 shots on him but then he would stop the final 8. Canes won the game 6-3 and because the Leafs scored 2 goals on Ayres, it removed the credit of Mrazek recording the win and instead going to David Ayres! Ayres was paid $500 and gets to keep his #90 Canes Jersey. That will be a memory of his for a life time!

3. Of the 11 games tonight, 5 teams won tonight that were the lower seeded team. Also 5 teams lost tonight by a goal margin of 3 or more.

Reactions: HecticGlow

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm not letting Reirden and his clown staff off the hook. But I thought I would look over the highlights of the game again and there some interesting things I noticed.

The Devils 1st goal which was scored by Bratt on a breakaway never should have counted. Why, because when Panik carried the puck over the Devils blue line, the refs clearly missed a hooking under Panik's lower glove where holds the stick(it was evident because Panik lost the puck and got twisted around because of the hooking). Hooking penalty and the play would have been blown dead once the Devils touched the puck.

On the Devils 2nd goal(Devils on the PP) there was a wrist shot from the point that was deflected downward by a Devils players stick. Nick Jensen was in front of Samsonov and went down on one knee. I think on most nights that deflected puck goes wide off of Jensen's leg, but tonight the puck somehow squeezed through a small space between Jensen's leg and skate boot, bounced off the post and sat there for Simmonds to tuck it in the net. You could argue that it was bad bounce.

The end of the game was a huge clusterpuck! Kuzy takes a dumb hooking penalty and then a bit over a minute later Kempny takes a very stupid penalty out of frustration getting in a small tussle with a Devils player in front of the net. Should it have been coincidental minors? I think so but they only got Kempny. Caps had a 2-man advantage earlier in the game and failed. I guess if you go with the thought that the refs mostly even things out, then the Devils were gonna get a 2-man advantage as well.

Devils were 2/3 on the PP and the Caps were 1/6. Special Teams was the difference, so the Caps PP lost this game unless you think the Caps usual reliable PK failed tonight.

Last, Dillon only got 13:50 playing time and none on the PK. Kind of strange considering he played 20 min and 48 secs on the PK against the Habs, while noting that he just came in a trade from the #1 PK team in the NHL, so I'm sure he was a big part of that in San Jose. Kempny PK'ed for 1:49, which I find odd considering PK is not Kempny's strong suit. I wonder, if Gudas had been dressed would him and Dillon been on the PK instead? By the way, Siegenthaler has digressed a good deal. His 5 on 5 play hasn't been good most of the season and now he seems to be not much better on the PK. I think now that teams are ramping up their play in the 2nd half of the season, Siegs is getting exposed a lot more. It's probably best if he's the 7th d-man unless they decide to go with Fehervary.

Coaching had more mistakes tonight as they keep building up a list of why they are inadequate for this roster. The game is tied 2-2 late. I don't care if it's against the lowly Devils or another team, play it smart and at least keep it tied and go into OT. Devils continued to play their game despite giving up a 2-0 lead. They stayed patient and took advantage of their opportunity with the PP to win the game. The Caps showed no composure and patience in the closing minutes when it was still a tie game. For the players not show that reflects how bad the coaching is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad