Confirmed with Link: Caps clean house: McPhee gone, Oates gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@VogsCaps: #Caps announce that they will not renew the contract of GM George McPhee and that head coach Adam Oates will be relieved of his duties.

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetw...ce-changes-to-front-office-and-coaching-staff
The Washington Capitals will not renew the contract of vice president and general manager George McPhee and have relieved head coach Adam Oates of his duties, majority owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick announced today....

Leonsis and Patrick will be available to the media today, April 26 at 4 p.m. in the Verizon Center media room.
Patrick stays, though.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
tumblr_lo9omih45r1qkwc9zo1_500.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As expected, a soft landing with no ill words for GMGM. Not a highly publicized "firing". But taking Oates out with the trash this early is a pleasant surprise. I think 99% of us expected the new GM to do that, but it does appear the "Ted is pissed" option was the correct one when considering his top-down review all the way to the training staff.

Kudos to Ted for doing the right thing and not taking half-measures. Now, to hire the right GM...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A bit surprised that the fate of Oates wasn't left to the next GM, although that Carrera article was really damaging.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
GMGM should be able to help out a re-building team but I'll feel sorry for any team that hires Oates as a head coach, he's awful.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
GMGM should be able to help out a re-building team but I'll feel sorry for any team that hires Oates as a head coach, he's awful.
He'll probably land in Edmonton then given the circumstances.

Edit: Oates that is

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, a rebuilding team with a few years of high picks. After that, pffft.

Oates belongs at the developmental level. That's what he values over winning. That's where he'll end up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Oates should be an assistant coach so that his authoritarian ways are kept in check. The man can devise a PP but that's about it. Any more authority than that and he runs amok and loses the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad