GDT: Caps and Oilers

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Just downloaded and looked at the stats. What a game!

Probably already posted but nice to see the top 6 centers at the top of the chart.

fehervary spends a few games away from Carlson, goes "ohhhhh, that's what that's like?" and takes off

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It was a good night for the Caps.
Not even surprised that they have won this one after losing to the worst team in the league.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
So rebuild immediately, then?
Still no depth, no 5vs5 scoring, no top talent outside of Ovechkin etc. Expecting PPG to carry us to the cup is a not reasonable and proven many times before. So yes, if you want to win, and rebuild on the fly if only goal is OV records.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
IMHO Matthews is still probably the better 2-way player, and definitely has a better shot.

But 97 is in another league in terms of speed and hands obviously. MacK compares better (than Matthews) to McDavid in those areas.

I watch a lot of EDM games here on the west coast, and McD is unlike anything we’ve seen.
I’ve been watching hockey for almost seventy years and McDavid is unlike anything I have ever seen. In the unlikely event that a better player than McDavid emerges, pray that he plays for your team.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Kuzy sure enjoyed all the open lanes and free ice the Oilers’ D provided. Hopefully, he gets some momentum from this. Game was an up and down the rink delight, completely bereft of neutral zone clogging. Fun hockey - what a concept

Reactions: Drakon and max21

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Still no depth, no 5vs5 scoring, no top talent outside of Ovechkin etc. Expecting PPG to carry us to the cup is a not reasonable and proven many times before. So yes, if you want to win, and rebuild on the fly if only goal is OV records.
I think they should get 2 Top-4 D types
And they need like 2 RW's

Wonder if they can get Orlov and Carlson to fill out the D
and Wilson and Oshie for RW?

they all know the system (except maybe Carlson ;) )

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Everyone here expected them to get spanked by the Oilers, and they didn't. They won. And they looked really good doing it. They got those PPs because they played the right way and played well. They earned them. And then the much-maligned PP showed what it can do even with most of the unit out.

Backchecking and slot defense was improved but they're still giving up goals in that area too easily at times. For some reason the sides of the ice are always flipped on these:

1667915182940.png

Look at all those shots around the net and inside the dots from the Caps. That's a nice improvement vs the perimeter play of late.

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve been watching hockey for almost seventy years and McDavid is unlike anything I have ever seen. In the unlikely event that better player than McDavid emerges, pray that he plays for your team.

McDavid just does all elite things at his crazy top end speed. Definitely a unicorn. I’m very interested to see how his game evolves when he eventually loses a step.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Fun with sample sizes: I had mentioned about a week or so ago that Dylan Strome was a little bit of a disappointment to that point.

However he is now leading the team in on-ice chance differential at 5v5, his estimated individual impact on chance differential (as measured by RAPM) is only behind Mantha, and he’s been a great fit on the power play.

This is everything they could have asked for when they signed him this offseason.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One thing you can give this team is they won't fall apart and turn on one another. For all of their faults it's a great starting point in maintaining stability in the face of adversity. Gut check win here, helped again greatly by goaltending at key moments.

I thought Edmonton's forwards slacked for much of the game, believing they could will it out near the end. Seems familiar...

Either way lots to build off of, particularly if they can get more efforts like this out of 92/17. Easily the most productive game from their top two centers, even if much of it came on the PP.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Greatest player ever and hes what, 25?
Greatness can be defined in many ways. Longevity is only one of the criteria. I didn't proffer that McDavid is the greatest player ever, only that I have never seen a player display a level of talent that is so superior to his competition that McDavid is now displaying. If he continues this dominance for the next five to seven years, then yes, I for one, will have no problem regarding him as the best of all time.

Reactions: Jags

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I watched some of the second ... feel asleep during the 3rd

Missed hell of a game it seems .. but at least i got to see all 60 of that 1-3 red wings game the other night

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Greatness can be defined in many ways. Longevity is only one of the criteria. I didn't proffer that McDavid is the greatest player ever, only that I have never seen a player display a level of talent that is so superior to his competition that McDavid is now displaying. If he continues this dominance for the next five to seven years, then yes, I for one, will have no problem regarding him as the best of all time.
The true greats have the longevity. That matters…a lot.

I think Gretzky absolutely was in that same clear “tier above the rest” during his days at least until Mario hit his prime.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
The true greats have the longevity. That matters…a lot.

I think Gretzky absolutely was in that same clear “tier above the rest” during his days at least until Mario hit his prime.
Let’s not forget McDavid has to actually win some Cups first! And he has another top 3ish guy in Drai, so no excuses really.

Their run and gun style works well in the West, especially with the current state of the Pacific. But that changes in the playoffs and against a lot of East teams in potential Finals. I wonder if he’ll need a coach to challenge him to be more impactful defensively (like BT did for Ovi).

In any event, he supposedly spent this off-season working on his shot, and he’s off to this scorching start. So he’s still developing and improving - which is terrifying, lol.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s not forget McDavid has to actually win some Cups first! And he has another top 3ish guy in Drai, so no excuses really.

Their run and gun style works well in the West, especially with the current state of the Pacific. But that changes in the playoffs and against a lot of East teams in potential Finals. I wonder if he’ll need a coach to challenge him to be more impactful defensively (like BT did for Ovi).

In any event, he supposedly spent this off-season working on his shot, and he’s off to this scorching start. So he’s still developing and improving - which is terrifying, lol.
I love it…..the greats can do that. As I recall we saw a similar off-season focus on shooting from Crosby and he exploded that next year.

Reactions: RedRocking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad