Confirmed Signing with Link: Caps and DSP have agreement

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Fair point. I’m assuming they make the playoffs, but it is possible they miss, or barely make it in. They were awful looking for some stretches last season, and some players were having career years. But if they make it I’ll count on DSP
Some players had career years. Holtby had about his worst pro season. It was a mixed bag. As for next year, I guess we'll see.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Feeling bad for a guy who gets payed 7 figures to play a game because he doesn't make enough $. Lol.

Feel bad? Nah, actually the opposite. He is a legend in Washington DC but athletes that bounce around like DSP typically have short shelf lives in the NHL and my feeling is that they should maximize their short window of earning opportunity to the fullest extent possible. Even he mentioned that if it didn't work in Washington his NHL career was likely done. I wanted to see him rewarded for his efforts in Washington with a lucrative contract, even if it meant he wasn't a Capital next season. Not everything has to be so cynical, homie.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I could care less if he puts up more than 10 points all RS. If this squad can’t make the playoffs without DSP producing on the 4th line then we have bigger problems.

He fits our playoff gameplan perfectly. Brings the heavy checking game to the 4th line next to Stephenson who can create chances for him (and maybe Beagle again too). I was resigned to DSP being a casualty of our run, but this is a huge signing.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Even if he'd only make 300k clear out of it, that's still the equivalent in clear money of 6-10 years worth for the middle class.

Yeah I guess we should just forget that their earnings window is like 10 years and they've got the employability of construction workers afterwards plus all the medical conditions you can imagine, plus all the lifestyle expenses middle class people don't have like agent fees, relocation costs, paying for team outings etc

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah I guess we should just forget that their earnings window is like 10 years and they've got the employability of construction workers afterwards plus all the medical conditions you can imagine, plus all the lifestyle expenses middle class people don't have like agent fees, relocation costs, paying for team outings etc

NHL clubs pay for moving as per CBA 14.3. The whole article 14 is full of details about players moving expenses.

10 years time 6 is 60 years worth of salary. Even if they earn only 1 million during their 10 years, they earn what middle class earn in 20-30 years. Unless they get scammed, no NHL player that plays for more than 5 years should fall below middle-high class even by flipping burgers at McDonalds after their career unless they spent it all foolishly (which happens quite frequently, but they are to blame).

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad