Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Brenden Dillon from San Jose for 2020 2nd and (cond.) 2021 3rd rd pick, 50% retained

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is Jensen a defensive defenseman? I view him as more of a puck moving defenseman. He can shimmy a little bit and he's a decent passer of the puck, but he's not a crease clearing type.

Yep and thus he needs to play with one. We won a cup with Orpik covering for Djoos. It can be done and I think BMac decided Siggy is just a bit too green to do it himself.

Maybe Dillon Jensen will be an effective pairing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pretty good quote from Todd about what the trade means for his existing Dmen:

Basically, it is sending a message, that if you don't start playing the system, playing properly, you can be replaced now. Gotta think this applies to MK6 and Nicky Jensen and maybe Siegs. Give the Caps legit options to bench people for non compliance, whereas Fever just wasn't completely ready.

When I think of players that have not faced adversity this season or in their careers, I am not sure how you could say that applies to those 3 players. That makes NO SENSE. MK6 suffered a hideous injury and has struggled to recover. Jensen's season has been nothing but adversity. Siegenthaler is a couple of bad games from not being in the league.

How do you figure that quote applies to those 3?

Reactions: racingmoose

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I'm assuming from the standpoints of since being on the Caps they're playing for the #1 team in the standings and little challenge to their spots
Kempny came straight into a Cup, then a great regular season until the injury, never having to worry about not being a Top-4
Jensen hasn't had to worry about being scratched until recently
Siegs has had a pretty long leash to develop without being scratched or many callups of the AHL'ers waiting for their chances

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I feel like Kovalchuk would spark him, and possibly spark Ovechkin a bit as well. Sort of like Feds did in 2008. I know North Americans don't hold Kovalchuk in high regard but he's as revered among Russian players as Fedorov or Datsyuk were being first post Soviet superstar and vanguard of the Ovechkin/Malkin generation

He's also the one guy unambiguously playing for the love of the game right now

Kovalchuk disrupts things we have (already not at highest possible level) and serves little purpose. He would be ok as top-6 depth but its hard to play him until that depth is needed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm assuming from the standpoints of since being on the Caps they're playing for the #1 team in the standings and little challenge to their spots
Kempny came straight into a Cup, then a great regular season until the injury, never having to worry about not being a Top-4
Jensen hasn't had to worry about being scratched until recently
Siegs has had a pretty long leash to develop without being scratched or many callups of the AHL'ers waiting for their chances

That's a stretch. He says little adversity this season or in their careers. Kempny didn't have a career. It was in jeopardy when he was traded for. Yes he came straight into a cup and then had his hamstring ripped off the bone. He has since struggled. His career is in jeopardy again. He hasn't faced any adverisity? That's a load of shit. Jensen has been struggling to keep his head above water all season. No adversity? WTF? I can think of many ways that you can tell those two guys to put up or get some nachos but to use THAT quote? No way. Jensen knows 90% of the active fans want him off the team.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
When I think of players that have not faced adversity this season or in their careers, I am not sure how you could say that applies to those 3 players. That makes NO SENSE. MK6 suffered a hideous injury and has struggled to recover. Jensen's season has been nothing but adversity. Siegenthaler is a couple of bad games from not being in the league.

Kempny was so under-utilised in Chicago he was expecting to leave the NHL imminently until the Caps traded for him, when he suddenly had to acclimatise from being #7 to #4 almost overnight. He then played a heavy postseason all the way to the Cup, suffered a season-ending injury and has struggled to regain his form ever since. I’m not sure what adversity you think Gudas, Carlson or Orlov have experienced lately that’s tougher than that, but I’d say MK doesn’t fit those comments at all.

Jensen, Gudas and Siegenthaler, on the other hand, clearly do - and it was notable those were the three removed from the lineup for Fehervery, despite that meaning twice a RD was removed for an LD.

Reactions: Heath and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kempny was so under-utilised in Chicago he was expecting to leave the NHL imminently until the Caps traded for him, when he suddenly had to acclimatise from being #7 to #4 almost overnight. He then played a heavy postseason all the way to the Cup, suffered a season-ending injury and has struggled to regain his form ever since. I’m not sure what adversity you think Gudas, Carlson or Orlov have experienced lately that’s tougher than that, but I’d say MK doesn’t fit those comments at all.

Jensen, Gudas and Siegenthaler, on the other hand, clearly do - and it was notable those were the three removed from the lineup for Fehervery, despite that meaning twice a RD was removed for an LD.

I, uh. I agree entire about Kempny. Please explain how Jensen has faced no adversity? Gudas....ok. Carlson and Orlov. Sure. Siegenthaler is dancing as fast as he can just to keep a job. So I don't get that either. If you want to say that Jensen and Siegenthaler suck and should be kicked off the team, there's more truth in that than to say they have never felt any adversity. Their entire careers have been nothing but adversity

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Oh fgs why are you guys arguing about a quote and the exact interpretation / meaning of said quote? Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

TR said bringing in Dillon creates competition. In other words there are 7 guys and only 6 spots. Some of the guys who haven't been playing well are going to have to lift their game or they will be the 7th guy.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I, uh. I agree entire about Kempny. Please explain how Jensen has faced no adversity? Gudas....ok. Carlson and Orlov. Sure. Siegenthaler is dancing as fast as he can just to keep a job. So I don't get that either. If you want to say that Jensen and Siegenthaler suck and should be kicked off the team, there's more truth in that than to say they have never felt any adversity. Their entire careers have been nothing but adversity

I’m not saying Jensen and Siegenthaler haven’t suffered any adversity at all (nor am I saying they suck - Jensen’s an overstretched third pair D and Siegenthaler is still growing and developing). But I think there’s a different sorts of adversity - being benched, sent to the press box, playing through Game 7s or suffering a significant injury are all forms of adversity that are typically cited as making or breaking certain guys. But neither Jensen or Siegenthaler have had any real risk of being replaced in the lineup until now, mostly because of salary cap needs, and that meant that however atrocious their play at times there often weren’t major consequences. You can knock Jensen’s ice time in a game down to 14 minutes and frankly that’s still roughly what he’d be happy playing ordinarily as a more natural third pair D.

All those guys now have meaningful competition for both ice time and a sweater, and as we’ve seen with Boyd this year and the D in the last few years, the coaches prefer stability to rotation. That puts a very real pressure on those guys that if they screw up, and a lineup combination is tried where they’re out, they could be out for rather a long time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not saying Jensen and Siegenthaler haven’t suffered any adversity at all (nor am I saying they suck - Jensen’s an overstretched third pair D and Siegenthaler is still growing and developing). But I think there’s a different sorts of adversity - being benched, sent to the press box, playing through Game 7s or suffering a significant injury are all forms of adversity that are typically cited as making or breaking certain guys. But neither Jensen or Siegenthaler have had any real risk of being replaced in the lineup until now,

Agree to disagree. Both of those players have been under career level pressure all season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh fgs why are you guys arguing about a quote and the exact interpretation / meaning of said quote? Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

TR said bringing in Dillon creates competition. In other words there are 7 guys and only 6 spots. Some of the guys who haven't been playing well are going to have to lift their game or they will be the 7th guy.

Well...When the coach says something and someone quotes that something and applies to guys that it doesn't apply to, on posting boards you ask for clarification. The competition angle certainly applies to those players. The other quote doesn't. I assume Reirden meant what he said in both cases.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ya'all are miss reading what I wrote vs what Todd said. To be clear, TODD said some players haven't faced adversity in their careers but he was unspecific about who.

I said some players will need to get with the program or find themselves on the bench. I then said I think that applies to 6, 3 and 34.

Todd could very well have meant JC or Orlov, but lets be reality, those guys are NOT the ones going to the pressbox to make room for Dillon.

So while I just glossed over 10,000 words about who has faced adversity, I wasn't saying 6, 3, 34 had never faced it, I said those are the candidates to be sat for Dillon. Do carry on though.

Reactions: Heath

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

In other words, THIS^^^^.

Reactions: Heath

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You and Jensen. Huh.

the only adversity that we see for Jensen is what we think on this board.

it could easily be Jensen. He’s as likely as anyone. Handed and immediate long term contract 3x his previous number, as well as a top 4 slot (you were one of the guys that handed it to him because of said contract and all that I just mentioned... gifted as it were without earning a damned thing w his play). He played around 15 games away from Orlov and has since been left with the role as no one else can “take it”.

Kempny has been thru hell and back with his injury. Siegs is a kid, and Gudas has been relegated to 3rd pair all season.

So.....he’s talking about Carlson or Orlov??

the worst player on D, from a “headiness” perspective (read=smart) is Jensen. Easily. He is constantly making boneheaded plays with the puck. Yet he’s insulated as a top 4 guy.

so?

it’s Jensen. Who else?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s fairly safe to say Jensen has been under the gun all season. Lots of pressure to play up in new surrounding with a new deal and high expectations inserted into a better team.

Add to that his struggles and standing out as a clear sore thumb as a D weak link and I think you could call that adversity of a sort.

I think this plays Seige out of the lineup ultimately this year assuming full roster health, but it should really be an open competition between 3, 6, 34...best 2 play.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
As someone already mentioned here, the players who were replaced in the lineup by Feher when he got called up were Gidas, Jensen and Jonas. Those three will compete for last 2 spots on the D. I do believe that Reirden has a soft spot for Kempny since the cup run and his spot in the lineup could be in danger only if 6 becomes a complete one man shit show which is not the case. He's been struggling for a long period of time but at no point I would've called him the worst defender in the lineup.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Plan the parade, because NBTW said so.

Guys without adversity are Siege and Carlson obviously.

Siege is playing against men since 18 IIRC. He's just gradually getting better and not having to shoulder the big responsibility yet. Totally him.

Carlson was given a team with HHOF players to dominate on. Then he was given good contracts couple of times. Is it really hard to become Norris contender in those circumstances?

Gudas... I dont know, he changed teams. Probably had some problems.

Orlov, Kempny and Jensen certainly had lots of adversity.

Anyway it seems like Dillon could be #3 for Caps in terms of quality D players and who cares about adversity then? Play him, eliminate weak links from others.

Somehow we dont talk about Gudas much... He's a guy we expected to be better and his ice time doesnt indicate that. Maybe Reirden has something against him now.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
So, I don't know why, but when I tapped on this thread this morning on my phone, I was redirected to the GDT for Game 5 of the SCF against Vegas.

Take whatever conclusions about Dillon from that you want, but I know what the hockey gods are telling me.

when are you putting Bunk back in your Avatar?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Siege is playing against men since 18 IIRC. He's just gradually getting better and not having to shoulder the big responsibility yet. Totally him.
He was a fatso and had to completely redo his diet. Adversity. None of them get where they are without adversity. Maybe a poor choice of words but it comes across as bit petulant and frustrated. Yeah, they're pro athletes and all that. They're incredibly well taken care of but these are also people. As a head coach he's got to be able to handle them individually and collectively differently than a more behind the scenes role. He's got to lead them. Not having a real successful, experienced assistant aside him along the way is a real detriment.

Still, I don't know that I'd consider it adversity that Jensen has faced this season (including fan behavior or whatever compared to a lot of much more harsh markets). He's been thrown into a position he wasn't ready for. It was never ideal from the get-go and everyone should recognize that and not bear some sort of grudge when a gamble doesn't pay off. Not everyone takes those next steps as you'd like even if some of the tools are there physically. It hasn't been easy but without a healthier perspective on that it's not going to do any good either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad