Caps 2015 Pre-Draft Talk

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I guess it won't be a popular thing here but i'd like to see the trade for a pick at 5-8 range plus prospect for our 1st rounder and one of our high-paid D.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I guess it won't be a popular thing here but i'd like to see the trade for a pick at 5-8 range plus prospect for our 1st rounder and one of our high-paid D.
Easier said than done.

As far as Europeans go, there is a center in Chlapik that might be a fit in their range. Meier & Svechnikov otherwise as far as wingers go. It's probably a little early for someone like Hintz or Ahl.

The possibility of three top ~60 picks is very appealing but I'd guess at least one of them is moved.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Easier said than done.

As far as Europeans go, there is a center in Chlapik that might be a fit in their range. Meier & Svechnikov otherwise as far as wingers go. It's probably a little early for someone like Hintz or Ahl.

The possibility of three top ~60 picks is very appealing but I'd guess at least one of them is moved.

Imo, Avs would think about my option if BMac would offer it to them. They will pick somewhere like 5-7 and Strome or Marner could be still on the board. About second one, i'm not sure though.

Edit...guess i got excited. Avs would not pick at 5-7 range...Sad. They'd really be interested in these negotiations.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Imo, Avs would think about my option if BMac would offer it to them. They will pick somewhere like 5-7 and Strome or Marner could be still on the board. About second one, i'm not sure though.

Who did you mean with that ''high-paid D''?

Orpik and Niskanen just signed here, and they both have NTC's in their contracts. They aren't going to waive those to go to non-playoff team.

Carlson and Alzner are going nowhere for futures.

Avs have no cap space to add Green now, and to be honest that would be incredibly dumb to them to trade for him when they are outside of playoffs right now and Green is pending UFA that Caps are guaranteed to have issues signing with. They also have very similar player in Barrie already who has similar numbers as Green but makes less than half of his money.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Who did you mean with that ''high-paid D''?

Orpik and Niskanen just signed here, and they both have NTC's in their contracts. They aren't going to waive those to go to non-playoff team.

Carlson and Alzner are going nowhere for futures.

Avs have no cap space to add Green now, and to be honest that would be incredibly dumb to them to trade for him when they are outside of playoffs right now and Green is pending UFA that Caps are guaranteed to have issues signing with. They also have very similar player in Barrie already who has similar numbers as Green but makes less than half of his money.

I'm about Niskanen. If you ask me, i'd resign Green for 4-5 years on a same salary and trade Niskanen. Someone will say it's too early to judge but, comparing play level Matt shows this year and his cap hit, i think he's overpaid . At the start of the season everyone thought that only Orpik overpaid there but u never know how things will turn around. And i'm offering to make the trade like this not at the TD but on a draft day.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm about Niskanen. If you ask me, i'd resign Green for 4-5 years on a same salary and trade Niskanen. Someone will say it's too early to judge but, comparing play level Matt shows this year and his cap hit, i think he's overpaid . At the start of the season everyone thought that only Orpik overpaid there but u never know how things will turn around. And i'm offering to make the trade like this not at the TD but on a draft day.

Niskanen just signed here and has no-trade clause.

Case closed.

Halpysback*

After the game against Nashville we can't rule out Niskanen traded

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

He's been saying in the press how much he wants to stay, I'd love it if he gave a big old home team discount and resigns for something like 3 mill, him and Schmidt as the bottom pairing ditch Hillen and Erskine and send Bowey to the AHL for a couple more years (if he's eligible next year??)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That's disappointing. One thing I liked about the GMGM era was the no no-trade clause policy.

Yes because signing a UFA to a 5 year deal and then trading him 1 year in is such a great way to help convince future UFAs to sign with you...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's disappointing. One thing I liked about the GMGM era was the no no-trade clause policy.

GMGM gave out several partial No-Trade Clauses*, just no complete NTCs or NMCs. I believe both Orpik and Niskanen got similar partial NTCs.

*I believe we have 8 or 9 total on the team currently, counting Orpik and Niskanen. I know Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Laich all have them. Pretty sure Carlson and Brouwer do as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's get it back to draft talk.

Last edited:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I really like the description about Colin White, especially the bolded parts.

From future considerations:
"Strong, well-rounded, two-way center…one of the best skaters for this draft…great speed with an excellent stride and tremendous acceleration…moves quickly and is tough to handle when he hits top speed…has great strength on his skates and is tough to separate from the puck…battles hard for possession…drives the net and is strong in close…can beat a goalie in many ways…has a great shot and also distributes the puck well…a very hard worker with an edge to his game…great on defense with a great defensive stick and strong defensive-zone awareness…always in the right spots on the ice and he is a tremendous worker. (August 2014)"

If he could grow an inch or two he has all the makings of becoming a great 2C!

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
so what do we need more, a C or RW? Ive been drooling over Rantanen for some time now because i feel like all the projected 1st rd centers are a little undersized. Id be happy with Konecny though

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We need the BPA when it is our turn to draft...
Yes indeed.

Assuming they pick ~20 I'd be considering Bracco, Chabot, Meier, Chlapik, Gropp, Bittner and Zboril. Maybe Beauvillier or Harkins if they're looking at natural centers (along with Chlapik). Rantanen should be long gone and likely Konecny as well.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
BPA don't exist. This ain't NHL 15.

BPA always exists and when drafting 18 year olds is without a doubt the way to go. Drafting for need just ups the odds of swinging and missing. Why would you want to do that?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
BPA always exists and when drafting 18 year olds is without a doubt the way to go. Drafting for need just ups the odds of swinging and missing. Why would you want to do that?

Can you define me what's the best player?

There are players who play different positions and different styles in different leagues How do you compare goalie from high school to a forward from a major pro league like SHL or KHL?
Some players are 9-11 months older than others which means they're more advanced in development.
Some players are stronger physically which means they're closer to the ceiling.
Some players miss a lot of time with an injury in the pre-draft season.
Some prospects just are safer picks, while others have potential to be special players, but can also end up busts.

It's like asking who is better, Pekka Rinne, Ryan Suter, Anze Kopitar or Phil Kessel. The answer is always, depends on what do you need. Similarly, in most times at the draft, there are numerous prospects who are on the same level more or less.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There are player rankings from multiple sources including your own scouts, and there can be strings of players at the top that don't match your positional need. If you really need a goalie or d-man and you're picking 2nd, and the top ranked goalie or D is 15th, you shouldn't go off the board and pick the 15th ranked guy in the 2 spot based on "need". You take someone ranked NEAR where your actual pick is, unless you have very good scouting reasons not to, and add him to your pool of assets. Unless the draft is very thin or deep so that there's not much difference from 2 to 15. If there's a massive talent drop between those picks you would never make that jump.

If there are two guys ranked within a pick or two and one is a position of need, yeah maybe you make the jump and blow off the rankings. Depends on the scouting and the player.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Can you define me what's the best player?

There are players who play different positions and different styles in different leagues How do you compare goalie from high school to a forward from a major pro league like SHL or KHL?
Some players are 9-11 months older than others which means they're more advanced in development.
Some players are stronger physically which means they're closer to the ceiling.
Some players miss a lot of time with an injury in the pre-draft season.
Some prospects just are safer picks, while others have potential to be special players, but can also end up busts.

It's like asking who is better, Pekka Rinne, Ryan Suter, Anze Kopitar or Phil Kessel. The answer is always, depends on what do you need. Similarly, in most times at the draft, there are numerous prospects who are on the same level more or less.

Agreed... And we don't need any more Phil Kessels unless a potential star winger was to drop big time to us. Like last year its very subjective if Vrana was better than Larkin (who I wanted) but one filled a huge organizational need and one didn't.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"Needs" change rapidly in the NHL. Much faster than prospects you draft reach the NHL. Look at our organizational RW depth over the past few years, for instance.

Pre-Oates - Barren wasteland. Troy Brouwer, under-performing Joel Ward, reclamation project Eric Fehr, and not much else. No quality prospects to speak of

Oates years - Overflowing. Alex Ovechkin, Troy Brouwer, current edition Joel Ward, Tom Wilson, Eric Fehr, Filip Forsberg, Riley Barber

This upcoming off-season - Troy Brouwer, Tom Wilson, free agents (Ward, Fehr, Beagle), Riley Barber, possibly Andre Burakovsky if he isn't moved back to center

In the span of 3 years we went from being poorly stocked at RW, to overflowing at RW to the point where Forsberg was traded away, to once again being understocked at RW.

Drafting based on "need" is ridiculous in the NHL. This isn't the NFL. You pick the guy your scouts think will be the best player in the NHL ranks, regardless of position. How you and your scouts define best is up to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad