Prospect Info: Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Post-Draft #5

Who is the Capitals Top Prospect 2020 Post-Draft #5?

• Garin Bjorklund - G Medicine Hat Tigers / WHL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kody Clark - RW Hershey Bears / AHL

• Tobias Geisser - LD Hershey Bears / AHL (EV Zug / NL Switzerland)

• Mitchell Gibson - G Harvard University / NCAA

• Hugo Has - RD Guelph Storm / OHL

• Bear Hughes - C Spokane Chiefs / WHL

• Lucas Johansen - LD Hershey Bears / AHL

• Axel Jonsson-Fjallby - LW Hershey Bears / AHL (Västerviks IK / HockeyAllsvenskan)

• Brett Leason - RW Hershey Bears / AHL

• Benton Maass - RD University of New Hampshire / NCAA

• Oskar Magnusson - C/RW Malmo Redhawks / SHL

• Bobby Nardella - LD Djurgardens IF / SHL

• Garrett Pilon - C Hershey Bears / AHL

• Brian Pinho - C Hershey Bears / AHL

• Kristian Roykas-Marthinsen - LW HC Dalen / HockeyEttan

• Joe Snively - LW Hershey Bears / AHL

• Riley Sutter - RW Hershey Bears / AHL

• Bogdan Trineyev - F Dynamo Krasnogorsk / VHL

• Sebastian Walfridsson - LD Visby/Roma / HockeyEttan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
8481580.jpg

#1 Connor McMichael London Knights / OHL

C | 6' 0" | 183 lb | Age: 19
Draft: 2019 WSH, 1st rd, 25th pk (25th overall)
42 Votes - 73.7%
Prospect Info: - Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Post-Draft #1
2019 Ranking - #3

hendrix-lapierre-2020-1021-jpg.373433

#2 Hendrix Lapierre Chicoutimi Sagueneens / QMJHL

C | 6' 0" | 179 lb | Age: 18
Draft: 2020 WSH, 1st rd, 22nd pk (22nd overall)
28 Votes - 54.9%
Prospect Info: - Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Post-Draft #2
2019 Ranking - N/A

8480796.jpg

#3 Martin Fehervary Hershey Bears / AHL

LD | 6' 2" | 200 lb | Age: 21
Draft: 2018 WSH, 2nd rd, 15th pk (46th overall)
47 Votes - 73.4%
Prospect Info: - Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Post-Draft #3
2019 Ranking - #4

8480823.jpg

#4 Alexander Alexeyev Hershey Bears / AHL (Salavat Yulaev Ufa / KHL)

LD | 6' 4" | 210 lb | Age: 20
Draft: 2018 WSH, 1st rd, 31st pk (31st overall)
37 Votes - 82.2%
Prospect Info: - Capitals Top Prospects 2020 Post-Draft #4
2019 Ranking - #2

Well here we go!

Vote for your your Caps prospects for the 2020 Post-Draft rankings.

Again, to be eligible for the poll, player must be 25 years or younger and has played no more than 25 NHL games.

If there is someone I missed in the poll or you think should be added, please post about it below.

Former Caps prospects dropping out the rankings - No longer part of the organization or no longer eligible or has graduated to the NHL

Tyler Lewington
Liam O'Brien
Colby Williams
Kristofers Bindulis
Connor Hobbs
Alex Kannok-Leipert
Eric Florchuk
Ilya Samsonov

Like in the previous pollings, I'll close the polls after 2 days.

Now VOTE 2020!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who do you think should be the quickest draw in the Wild West? I'm actually at a loss..
*shrug*

You're choice between guys with limited NHL upside (Malentsyn, Pinho, Vanecek), project players that are still far away (Hugo-Has, Trineyev, Hughes, Geisser), formerly hyped guys who stalled or regressed (Leason, LuJo, AJF, Gersich), and older prospects (Vanecek, Nardella, Pinho, Snively). I might opt for the mystery box player in Riat, who's impressed in what little we've seen of him in North America, but who knows if he's ever going to come over full time and if he's really developing in Swiss leagues or not.

Reactions: jtree and tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
*shrug*

You're choice between guys with limited NHL upside (Malentsyn, Pinho, Vanecek), project players that are still far away (Hugo-Has, Trineyev, Hughes, Geisser), and older prospects (Vanecek, Nardella, Pinho, Snively). I might opt for the mystery box player in Riat, who's impressed in what little we've seen of him in North America, but who knows if he's ever going to come over full time and if he's really developing in Swiss leagues or not.

I was actually going to say the Demon Rat just based on highest offensive upside potential but I really have no clue lol.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I was actually going to say the Demon Rat just based on highest offensive upside potential but I really have no clue lol.
I have nothing to dislike about Riat's game, but that's because I've seen basically nothing of Riat's game :laugh:
Not going to lie and say I watch Swiss games, but I've liked the little snippets we've seen in pre-season games, but that's such a small sample size it's hard to put a ton of weight in. His boxcars seems fine enough in the Swiss league, but we have no info about how he's being utilized or what type of competition he's really facing. So it's hard to say.

I may vote for him next just because the other guys I've been able to follow closer, and thus seen their warts more easily.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
*shrug*

You're choice between guys with limited NHL upside (Malentsyn, Pinho, Vanecek), project players that are still far away (Hugo-Has, Trineyev, Hughes, Geisser), formerly hyped guys who stalled or regressed (Leason, LuJo, AJF, Gersich), and older prospects (Vanecek, Nardella, Pinho, Snively). I might opt for the mystery box player in Riat, who's impressed in what little we've seen of him in North America, but who knows if he's ever going to come over full time and if he's really developing in Swiss leagues or not.
Think you're being a bit unfair to Leason. He's one year removed from his draft year and because of his age he had to jump straight to the pro game. I'll put him under stalled/regressed if he doesn't do well in Hershey this year (side note: he's a guy that will be really hurt if the AHL doesn't play) but I can't see how he's in the same group as LuJo or Gersich who essentially are written off at this point. Clark and Sutter are really disappointing as well.

Reactions: jtree

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Hasn't AJF really picked it back up in Hershey last year as well?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Protas has some offense of upside but he hasn’t really developed much since we drafted him. I’m starting to think he’s destined for a career in minor-league hockey or KHL

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It seems I under rank KHL players probably because I don’t watch KHL Hockey

And when scrubs that can’t make the caps main roster lead the league in scoring I don’t take KHL stats very seriously

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Protas has some offense of upside but he hasn’t really developed much since we drafted him. I’m starting to think he’s destined for a career in minor-league hockey or KHL
Doubting his point totals in fewer games strikes me as significant. The KHL will be a better test but it was pretty significant that he carried over his draft-year WHL playoff production and then some last season (and mainly while playing center). He remains a project but it's much too early to make that assessment and not evidenced based on last season. He's pretty much on track. He hasn't blown up to the point where he's a strong threat to make next season's roster but it's just his D+2 season. Only three forwards in the past decade have made the jump that quickly for the Caps and none were from outside the first round.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Are you impressed by his five points in 16 games this season in the KHL

Honestly, yeah. Young guys in the KHL typically don't get much playing time and put up pretty low point totals. Protas is one of only five U20 players with 4 or more points so far this season, and every one of the other four was a 1st round pick. Of that group, only Chinakhov (who's less than a month younger than Protas) has more goals. The one he's ahead of in points was the 10th overall pick in the same draft class.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Protas' scoring ability seems to me to be on a good trajectory, enough so for me to vote for him here.

I know he's normally played Center, but haven't watched him enough to know if he's likely to stick at the position long term or move to wing. Any educated thoughts on that? He feels like a winger to me, but I have no idea why that is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Think you're being a bit unfair to Leason. He's one year removed from his draft year and because of his age he had to jump straight to the pro game. I'll put him under stalled/regressed if he doesn't do well in Hershey this year (side note: he's a guy that will be really hurt if the AHL doesn't play) but I can't see how he's in the same group as LuJo or Gersich who essentially are written off at this point. Clark and Sutter are really disappointing as well.
If he was a 19 year old in AHL, I might buy that. But the "because of his age" thing works against him, not for him. He was passed on in his original draft year and the year afterwards, then finally broke out (which included a good performance as part of Canada's WJHC team) and got drafted. So it's not like he didn't have the full junior hockey experience to prepare him to going pro.

But ultimately, I called him a player who stalled or regressed. Would you characterize his 2019-20 season as promising? As encouraging development? I certainly wouldn't, I'd say his season was treading water at best.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He was leading his league in points for a spell before he cooled off. Still ended up with a dar better season than most would’ve hoped for.

can’t say I really under your commentary on him. Like, at all?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Honestly, yeah. Young guys in the KHL typically don't get much playing time and put up pretty low point totals. Protas is one of only five U20 players with 4 or more points so far this season, and every one of the other four was a 1st round pick. Of that group, only Chinakhov (who's less than a month younger than Protas) has more goals. The one he's ahead of in points was the 10th overall pick in the same draft class.
This pretty much says it all. No idea how you can state Protas isn’t developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad