Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Reactions: usiel
Sep 19, 2008
tieins with VT and analytics / business / media strategies

VT innovation campus right next door

Renderings are included in the article
you can also see them on the presser they seem intriguing

“Subject to legislative approval by the Virginia General Assembly, the Entertainment District will break ground in 2025 and open in late 2028,” said a press release from the governor’s office.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So I'm torn between my personal beliefs and my selfish beliefs. My personal beliefs are that teams belong to the fans and they should be where it's most accessible to the majority of the fan base. And having teams in the downtown areas is an actual real life example of a rising tide raises all ships -- businesses pop up around the area, crime tends to decrease, private and public investment dollars go into building out the area around it, etc. This would be a big loss for that downtown area. I also feel bad for the MD fans who may in some regards feel like they're losing their team with the Caps relocating to VA and the Ovi era coming to a close. Ted may have a real problem on his hands selling this to his Baltimore / Montgomery County / Howard County fanbase.

That said, if Ted is out for the best deal for himself and he's going to try and spin it as a win for the fans then he can go play in oncoming traffic. Nothing makes my blood boil more than the ultra wealthy crying poor mouth while they wipe their tears with the money paid to them by taxpayers and ticket holders.

On a selfish level, this will make going to games more tenable for me. It's much easier for me not to have to cross into DC from Alexandria and it'll probably cut travel time to the game down by 50% for me. And I still have my old place in Old Town which I planned on moving back to at some point 20 years from now when we were empty nesters and having the arena less than a mile from my house would be unbelievable. Plus, I really do think they could make something special in the Potomac Yards / National Landing area with all of the money being dumped into that location with Amazon HQ2 and now the Wiz and Caps moving there. Amazon HQ2 is about 1 mile from the proposed stadium location. I've been hearing since I moved into the neighborhood 10 years ago that they were planning to tear down the strip mall with Best Buy, Target, PetSmart, etc but now maybe they're actually going to do it.

Still very nervous to hear about transportation improvement projects because it's going to be a total nightmare for people trying to commute into and out of DC from that area while they're doing this work. And again, Ted can get f***ed.

Sep 19, 2008
AEDP said the development will still need to go through a community engagement process, with community meetings and workshops, which it said will kick off in early 2024.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Screenshot-2023-12-12-235404-1260x840.jpg

Screenshot-2023-12-13-000046-1260x840.jpg

Screenshot-2023-12-12-235427-1260x840.jpg

Screenshot-2023-12-12-235345-1260x840.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
Ted speaking now

Ted thanks VT for his tie

lol Ted looking to expand Monumental brand to Delaware. Talking about making jobs and keeping Caps a part of the DMV.

Fan Friendly business. Based on the mockups I am cautiously optimistic. Look at that big bowl they have for concerts. He really loves the area. He is talking about building on water now lol

Sep 19, 2008
oh so now Ted is a big VT fan now? lol

"I've been watching VT Women's basketball I'm a big fan now."

Jennifer Lawrence yeah oky nod gif

Ted talking about the fans and frustration and "being held accountable" and promises he will do the community good.

Sep 19, 2008
Mark Warner on stage and very excited

Isn't he a Demmycrat. Big props to the "other side"...

Warner saying this isn't done by a long shot, lot of concerns about traffic which need to be addressed

Man they are pumping this angle of "first pro VA sports team" hard.

Saying this isn't just about the Caps moving but they want to add on a transportation plan. "Celebrate the kickoff but continue additional work from the general assembly"

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I'm Team VA but agreed the current location for local fans is about perfect with a fracking metro stop under the arena.

I do feel this is probably just to get DC to poney up more money for renovations. Could DC be distracted by the bidding for the Commanders? I do think considering the upscale night life in that area if they did leave to VA it would seem to me, off the cuff, that the area wouldn't suffer too bad with all the uses for that arena. Could VA be distracted by trying to woo the Commanders.

I'm literally 2 minutes from a 395N ramp which is only two minutes because of speed bumps. Been a while since I've been down the Potomac Yards way but sure it is even a bit closer. I think the incentive for Ted if he could control more of the development around the arena kinda like Snyder's intent throwing out the VA locations a couple of years ago.
From listening to his and Youngkin presser ...

this is all to spring board the Leonsis family into Alexandria real estate and development

this f***ing bull shit .. has zero to do with improving the fan experience

Not about stadium or location .. it 100% about ted getting to build a huge real estate development sector

f*** you Ted

Reactions: Block

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Somebody at ALXnow really needs to learn the meaning of the term "Official".

Benefits:

-Easier access for me
-Del Ray or Old Town + a Caps game sound awesome
-Theoretical increase in property value

Cons:

-Even if you add GW Parkway access, the road infrastructure is already overloaded in that area. This and HQ2 will make it completely untenable.
-No idea where they think people will park. The only parking in the area is the Potomac Yard shopping center, where this will go.
-A move out of Chinatown will absolutely devastate that area, which is a huge bummer.
-Two Metro lines vs. four will result in trains packed to the gills, and with their budget shortfall, who even knows if Metro can handle it.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Firm believer that the Washington Capitals should stay in Washington D.C... Took forever to actually get them there from the Caps Center. The Virginia Capitals, coming 2028!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Those Del Ray NIMBYs are gonna have a field day with this one.
If this makes people in Del Ray pissed then I'm more supportive of the arena moving there. Del Ray is the most insufferable neighborhood in Alexandria. The entitlement complex over there is unreal. Old Town > Del Ray AINEC (except for the old money in South Old Town, those people suck as well).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I can’t fathom living there and being against it. Wouldn’t your property values skyrocket?
There's only so high values can go. A SFH home in Del Ray is already valued at over $1M for anything more than like 1300 sq. ft.

Also, Quality of Life issues are significant. More traffic, less parking in a place that's already difficult to park, potentially more petty crime, etc.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If this makes people in Del Ray pissed then I'm more supportive of the arena moving there. Del Ray is the most insufferable neighborhood in Alexandria. The entitlement complex over there is unreal. Old Town > Del Ray AINEC (except for the old money in South Old Town, those people suck as well).
Meh. I've got a buddy that works for the city and has to sit through weekly public comment sessions. Old Town people are WAY worse there. I also tend to enjoy the restaurants and bars in Del Ray more lately (Stracci Pizza > all). Old Town away from the waterfront needs a refresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad