Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Justin Schultz to 2 year deal 4 Mil AAV

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The last couple pages of this thread are fun, as I try to determine what two+ people on my ignore list are arguing about based on context clues.

lol I was doing the same. It usually takes me a second or two to realize I missed something...

ironic that we must have the same person on our list...

Reactions: Hivemind

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
When you can't overcome an intellectual challenge....easier to tap out apparently.

There is a big difference in engaging in an intellectual discussion/debate, and allowing people to spin you up for no reason. I recently left my favorite college football board after almost 15 years because it became filled with people just starting fights over everything. I decided it was healthier for me to not engage in that atmosphere any longer. And to be honest it was a good move, I don't miss it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There is a big difference in engaging in an intellectual discussion/debate, and allowing people to spin you up for no reason. I recently left my favorite college football board after almost 15 years because it became filled with people just starting fights over everything. I decided it was healthier for me to not engage in that atmosphere any longer. And to be honest it was a good move, I don't miss it.

There’s also a big difference in not being able to handle the intellectual challenge from a few regulars in a well moderated forum like ours, and your college boards being inundated with “fight starters” as you call it.

If you (not you specifically) continuously spout sanctimony and BS around here, you should expect to be called to the mat within the boundaries of the rules we have here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
5 years of overpayment after 10 years of being underpaid seems somewhat fair, albeit not cutthroat like some would rather the Caps be.

that deal is going to sting the last few years but it is what it is now....a career service award.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
yes, i agree 7M would be a fair value for him, but the person i quoted didnt think the combination of schultz + backstrom should be 7M, so i want to know what he values him at
I'd say $5m this year. But I feel like he will be terrible this year and will get worse with every year to come. A five year of closetodeadforhockey Backstrom will be: $5m 1st year + $4m 2nd year + $3m 3rd + $2m 4th + $1m 5th = $15m for 5 years or $3m AAV.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Part of that is not Caps or Backstroms fault at all. He lucked out signing his deal before COVID outbreak when Cap was supposed to go up and everything in league was fine, IMO after that he would have signed same term but around 8M AAV, not 9,2.

according to CapFriendly he signed on 14th January.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
There’s also a big difference in not being able to handle the intellectual challenge from a few regulars in a well moderated forum like ours, and your college boards being inundated with “fight starters” as you call it.

If you (not you specifically) continuously spout sanctimony and BS around here, you should expect to be called to the mat within the boundaries of the rules we have here.
When people don't argue in good faith and/or are completely unbound to facts and logic, eventually you realize it's just not worth trying to get through to them. I personally just scroll past certain posts, but it's very clear why he feels the need to use ignore instead.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That’s good for some, I suppose.

it would be nice if the site also allowed the person being “ignored” to not have to see posts from the person that ignored them. There is no alert to being added to anyone’s list, so it all seems a little immature to me.

But I’ve never put anyone on ignore. If you don’t want to read them, or respond to them, don’t.

I’ve found that most everyone on here says something that makes sense to me, along the line. So you read what you want.

I do find that some posters are pretty smarmy. And they don’t like being called on it, so they happily click ignore. Create their own bubble, as it were.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I'd say $5m this year. But I feel like he will be terrible this year and will get worse with every year to come. A five year of closetodeadforhockey Backstrom will be: $5m 1st year + $4m 2nd year + $3m 3rd + $2m 4th + $1m 5th = $15m for 5 years or $3m AAV.
interesting. what makes you think this is the case? The back end of this contract is definitely going to bite the caps in the ass but the first part should be fine if he can maintain form from this year. And he was pretty solid analytically as well.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
interesting. what makes you think this is the case? The back end of this contract is definitely going to bite the caps in the ass but the first part should be fine if he can maintain form from this year. And he was pretty solid analytically as well.
I would like to have the same Backstrom on the ice for the next five years as he was before. But I see patterns and signs, he will drop dramatically the next years. I am honest. I see what he will be bad, I say it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
5 years of overpayment after 10 years of being underpaid seems somewhat fair, albeit not cutthroat like some would rather the Caps be.

that deal is going to sting the last few years but it is what it is now....a career service award.
honestly, before Covid, I'd have argued by then it won't even sting. with the potential for a long-term stagnant cap, yeah it could. he still deserves every penny, but yeah.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
$3m AAV is an absolute slap in the face for a top 6 center in the league and you know that. Your hatred for certain players is borderline insanity. There isn’t a single legit top 6 center in the league that has a contract like that unless they’re on a ELC.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
$3m AAV is an absolute slap in the face for a top 6 center in the league and you know that. Your hatred for certain players is borderline insanity. There isn’t a single legit top 6 center in the league that has a contract like that unless they’re on a ELC.
Backstrom will not be a top6 NHL forward soon. Largely before the end of his new five year contract.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
18 months ago LuJo was considered to be ahead of Fehervary by the majority of the forum experts like you.

Prospect Info: - Prospect Ranking #15 - Final Ranking
Respond to me next time and have an actual conversation about the topic at hand.

Congrats on your victory lap on LuJo being a “bust.” Reminder, your reasoning for him being “ECHL quality” and a “bust” was because of your made up fake corsi stat, not because you predicted the player would be injured for the majority of two straight seasons.

Now back to Backstrom who you think is worth $3m per year....

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Respond to me next time and have an actual conversation about the topic at hand.

Congrats on your victory lap on LuJo being a “bust.” Reminder, your reasoning for him being “ECHL quality” and a “bust” was because of your made up fake corsi stat, not because you predicted the player would be injured for the majority of two straight seasons.

Now back to Backstrom who you think is worth $3m per year....
Save your breath. Backstrom will play out most or all of his new contract and it will be whatever it is. Then he'll retire a Cap, have his #19 raised to the rafters as the greatest centerman the team ever had, and eventually end up in the HOF. And francais will be here declaring that he doesn't deserve it all because he ate a few million extra bucks of cap space once.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad