Capitals Rookie & Training Camp

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Hi there, a friendly hello from an Australian Devils fan.

I have been lurking in the Caps section due to Nathan Walker having the invite to attend training camp.

I am visiting New York in January and will be seeing the Devils/Capitals game at the Pru Center, so it would of been amazing to see Walker play (although this would be a pretty big wish).

It is a shame he can't sign to an NHL contract now, but will be lurking around and seeing how he is going from time to time in the minors.

It's great that this board sees some potential and great things from him. Couldn't be prouder being an Aussie hockey lover!

On a side note, I was lucky enough to spend a day in the capital DC during my last visit in October 2012. Would love to come back some day.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@CapitalsPR
#Caps trim their roster to 36 releasing Stoa, Wellman, Taffe and Walker. Burakovsy assigned to Erie.

Training camp roster after the latest cuts: 36

18 Forwards: Backstrom, Beagle, Brouwer, Byers***, Chimera, Erat, Fehr, Grabovski, Johansson, Laich, Latta, Mitchell, Ovechkin, Perreault, Rechlicz, Volpatti, Ward, Wilson*

14 Defensemen: Alzner, Cajkovsky***, Carrick**, Carlson, Erskine, Green, Hillen, Kundratek, Oleksy, Orlov, Schilling, Schmidt, Strachan, Wey

4 Goaltenders: Grubauer, Holtby, Leggio, Neuvirth

As to Walker, Carrera reports he's headed to Hershey but I haven't seen any confirmation of that information (update: she clarified headed to camp, no contract with Hershey to date.) It's still possible he could be headed back to USHL Youngstown at some point. Newjerseydamo, enjoy your trip and the game; even if he was eligible to be signed, yes that would have been a bit unrealistic, but always fun to dream.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Hi there, a friendly hello from an Australian Devils fan.

I have been lurking in the Caps section due to Nathan Walker having the invite to attend training camp.

I am visiting New York in January and will be seeing the Devils/Capitals game at the Pru Center, so it would of been amazing to see Walker play (although this would be a pretty big wish).

It is a shame he can't sign to an NHL contract now, but will be lurking around and seeing how he is going from time to time in the minors.

So he signed with AHL Hershey; I imagine a standard 1 year AHL/ECHL contract here's a link to the schedule

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@CapitalsPR
#Caps release G Leggio and D Schilling from training camp roster. Both players will report to Hershey.

Also, consistent with this, someone (maybe it was Carrera) reported Holtby expected to play the entire game tonight.

Carrick signed, see thread.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
haters gonna hate. opening night roster is pretty obviously not the final word on what the team looks like.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Latta not making the team out of camp doesn't really speak to that trade at all. There's simply not cap room at this point, even without Wilson. It seems almost certain we're going with a 22 man roster for the opening of the season. Let's see how that changes once we've banked some cap space and/or players start getting hurt. Latta will get his chance.

Liberati0n*

Yeah, not being on the opening night roster does not equal not becoming or even not soon becoming an NHL player.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How's looking Orlov play? Does he has the chance to start the season with the big club?

Probably not due to salary cap concerns (all signs point to starting the season with a 22 man roster). Once enough cap space is banked or players start getting hurt, he'll be pretty high on the recall list.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Probably not due to salary cap concerns (all signs point to starting the season with a 22 man roster). Once enough cap space is banked or players start getting hurt, he'll be pretty high on the recall list.

Laich just left practice due to his hip flexor again so assuming he continues to rush back to action without letting it heal to 100%, we should have some more space once he goes to IR.

Liberati0n*

Laich just left practice due to his hip flexor again so assuming he continues to rush back to action without letting it heal to 100%, we should have some more space once he goes to IR.

I thought maybe he was hurt on that awkward pirouette last night.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Do we know it was the hip flexor or are we just assuming that since that is his most recent injury?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

We only get additional cap space allowances if he goes on LTIR, rather than just IR. That means he has to be out at least a month.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Seems to be he is broken to some degree... Not good. And it's kinda similar to what he had last season. The same area at least.

LW is thin again. Get "Welcome Kuz" banners back, ppl.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Has Carrick been sent to Hershey? He is on the Hershey roster posted on their website but I haven't seen anything about him being sent down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad