News Article: Capitals in disarray

Liberati0n*

It doesn't look like he has anything to say that isn't repeated here about 25 times a day.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Article is accurate. We want to discredit it because it's not the WaPo or WaTimes? Right. Shoot the messenger. Got it.

Caps have 14 ROW's. Only 3 teams have less. 2 of which have 13

So in a week or so, Caps may have 2nd least ROW's in the league.

Let that sink in (along with being a few points out of 14th in the east).

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Some criticism today from a national publication:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-its-not-ovechkins-fault-csi-ottawa-and-more/

OK, change of subject. The Washington Capitals. How much trouble are these guys in?

MH: They’re in a lot of trouble, for the following reasons: 1. Outside of Alex Ovechkin, they’re really struggling to score. Washington has just seven goals over its current six-game losing streak, and of their 134 goals this season, 35 have come from Ovi (which is 26 percent of the Caps’ offense, or just over 1/4 for you fractional enthusiasts.) 2. They stink on the road (8-11-4) and are about to embark on a five-game trip. 3. They’re dysfunctional. When’s the last time a team had three separate trade demands in the first half of the season? I know Dmitry Orlov has since backed off, but the Caps still have unhappy campers in Martin Erat and Michal Neuvirth, and those are just the ones we know about. But let’s circle back to Ovechkin, because he’s in a fascinating situation as the star of two teams with high expectations. We’ve already discussed Russia’s potential shortcomings heading into Sochi, and you just know Ovechkin’s going to shoulder some, or quite possibly a lot, of the blame if those high expectations aren’t met.

JB: Look, I don’t believe Ovechkin is beyond criticism, but he’s not the problem in Washington. The Capitals have a flawed roster, and that ultimately falls on general manager George McPhee. If the Caps miss the playoffs, I find it hard to see McPhee back next season. I understand you can’t completely rip the guy for not going out and getting what his roster so dearly lacks — in my opinion, that’s an elite two-way center and an elite two-way defenseman, and those types of players don’t grow on trees — but the fact is, Washington hasn’t made it past the second round of the playoffs since making the finals in 1998. Numerous coaches have come and gone since then, but the GM has stayed the same. And that Erat trade — if you’re a Caps fans, that’s even more infuriating the way things are going now. Even if Filip Forsberg doesn’t pan out, what a complete waste of a top prospect. Heck, the Caps would’ve been better off if McPhee had just given Forsberg to the Preds.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sad but true. Will Ted notice that it's not just fart in the wind internet snipes saying all these things now?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The blog

5% of the HF Caps Board Will Tell You the Truth

Special agreement with Ted to come. 10 tickets to each game for bloggers. There are empty seats anyway.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
That article was hilarious, and so true. We would have been better off if McPhee said "Dave, these prospects are burning a hole in my pocket, will you take one of them for me, no reciprocation needed." What a mess.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
That article was hilarious, and so true. We would have been better off if McPhee said "Dave, these prospects are burning a hole in my pocket, will you take one of them for me, no reciprocation needed." What a mess.

There are 5 teams poised to pass us if our losing streak continues. That drops us to 4th worst in the league. THAT is a mess that hasn't finished getting messy yet.

MaryChristine*

JB: Look said:
I don’t believe Ovechkin is beyond criticism, but he’s not the problem in Washington[/B]. The Capitals have a flawed roster, and that ultimately falls on general manager George McPhee. If the Caps miss the playoffs, I find it hard to see McPhee back next season. I understand you can’t completely rip the guy for not going out and getting what his roster so dearly lacks — in my opinion, that’s an elite two-way center and an elite two-way defenseman, and those types of players don’t grow on trees — but the fact is, Washington hasn’t made it past the second round of the playoffs since making the finals in 1998. Numerous coaches have come and gone since then, but the GM has stayed the same. And that Erat trade — if you’re a Caps fans, that’s even more infuriating the way things are going now. Even if Filip Forsberg doesn’t pan out, what a complete waste of a top prospect. Heck, the Caps would’ve been better off if McPhee had just given Forsberg to the Preds.

Beisdes, several bad decisions by Mcphee...I often wonder what/who is the problem? Whats up with all these players who go to Washington and then leave and they just have to express what an awful experience they had? Ovechkin is their leader... he wears the C.. so what's going on in the locker room? Just a thought.

Liberati0n*

Beisdes, several bad decisions by Mcphee...I often wonder what/who is the problem? Whats up with all these players who go to Washington and then leave and they just have to express what an awful experience they had? Ovechkin is their leader... he wears the C.. so what's going on in the locker room? Just a thought.

Which players are those? I know Brad Boyle talked a lot of **** but he never actually played for Washington.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think that this awful experience that is reported often has holes in it. example. adam oates demanded a trade out of Washington as a player. calle Johansson called out the coach and retired. olie kolzig was not happy with the team when he left. note that all three are now coaches working for the same gm.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think that this awful experience that is reported often has holes in it. example. adam oates demanded a trade out of Washington as a player. calle Johansson called out the coach and retired. olie kolzig was not happy with the team when he left. note that all three are now coaches working for the same gm.

You left out Hunter, who also had a beef with the Caps. But Poile holdover guys coming back as a coaches many years later when their playing careers are over has nothing to do with why recent players badmouth the organization and the locker room, or why so many players seem to butt heads with management.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Maybe it's just because I don't pay as much attention to other teams, but I can't think of a non-cap who has requested a trade other than Erat in Nashville and Dany Heatley after he killed Dan Snyder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad