Seravalli: Capitals have openly engaged teams about Kuznetsov and Mantha

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think Kuzy to the Avs makes a bit of sense.
He does? Because the Avs need more Russians with substance abuse problems? Our Nuke is one too many it already appears.

Maybe Mantha and a 3rd for Boeser?
You mean Boeser + a high 2nd for Mantha. Mantha has one less year on his bad contract. If they were both the same term. It’s a fair swap player for player.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Roslovic, CBJ 4th 2023 (#98) for Mantha, WSH 2nd 2023 (#40).

Basically $1.7m in cap space (and, if desired, a nicer buyout) for a pick upgrade.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If this is the trade market for them im guessing they will be on opening night roster for the Caps

I think we want draft picks not players that are worst then them

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Bruins have been looking for a power forward since Lucic got traded, Mantha feels like someone they'd take a flyer on at 50% retained... if we had cap space.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
For those expecting Caps to pay or retain a lot in a Mantha deal, buying him out would be a lot cheaper for them. They'd save $4,333,333 this season vs his cap hit, and add $2,166,667 in 2024-25, when the cap will probably be >$4M higher.

So they're unlikely to package much of high value just to rid themselves of the contract.

Reactions: um

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
mantha is that old boat, car, whatever that has issues, so you would feel bad selling it to anyone. Yes he is that worthless. Just a terd of a hockey player. Kuzy could get something of value back I would hope. Dont need any teams old washed up players back either. Picks are fine.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mantha
Washington 2024 3rd

For

Aiden Thompson

So, Hawks give away a prospect who had a great 1st year in NCAA for the honor of taking on shitty player in Mantha.

1st season in Denver

32 GP
10 G
22 A
32 pts

Counteroffer

To :hawks
W Anthony Mantha (1 x $5.7M)
Caps 2023 2nd (40th overall)
Bruins 2025 2nd

To :caps
W Mike Hardman (1 x $800k)
Future considerations

Caps get $5.7M in cap room and cheap 4th liner/AHL guy while Hawks get yet another 2nd for this years draft (Potential trade chip) and a future 2nd to stock cupboard for future.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I’ll attach a small asset or draft pick to Mantha but I don’t think the Caps should be desperate to get rid of him.

We can just let him play under a new coach for one year or buy him out.

Even 50% retention is a useless maneuver, I think. What kind of player are you getting with 2.85 Cap space? Might as well be Mantha who does have potential for a rebound.
A rebound to WHAT? 2019-20?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm inclined to believe this "openly engaged teams" by Caps GM BMAC is a bit of a ploy on his part. I think the Capitals might take a wait and see stance on both of these players in regards of how they perform under the new head coach Spencer Carberry. Not sure if they had issues with Lavy, but with a new coach the onus is definitely now on the players, especially Mantha since this is a contract year for him. BMAC can always go back to the players and their agents and say we put your names out there but this was all that was offered so that they get a sense of how the rest of the league currently values them. All of this, new coach, contract year for Mantha, how league values them may make these two players more motivated and increase their value come the TDL.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
That mantha / vrana trade just a complete bust and it was such a huge trade
Well the trade is still developing...

Panik and Vrana to detroit are now throwaways, same as mantha I guess you could say.

But they also traded two picks to detroit too. A first rounder (ended up being used to trade up in the 2021 draft to get Cossa, who is looking like a future #1) and a 2022 2nd rounder (Buchelnikov, who looks like a poor man's kucherov in russia. Just need to get him here).

Honestly, if Cossa is the only one of the two that pans out as the #1 he is being projected as, red wings fleeced the hell out of washington.

I Can see Yzerman trying to steal Kuzy.
I can't see it all.

Dude has had multiple off the ice issues with drugs and whatever else. Yzerman probably learned his lesson after vrana to deal with players like that.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I keep saying it, some fan base is going to be very disappointed with what they give up for Mantha. I can see a team like Chicago, Montreal, Arizona, San Jose (lower standings) having interest. One of his biggest downfalls stats wise in DC is a lack of PP time. In his best years in Detroit he led their team in PP goals.

Some team is going to get him, give him PP time, he is going to get 20+ goals again and they are going to flip him at the deadline. It just won't be Washington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad