OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The stranger on Netflix. i was extremely high, but it seemed like a decent Netflix movie. Not the deepest storyline but the way the movie was shot with the music keeps you on edge, had some jumps. Great acting, some Australian kid goes missing with some deep undercover detective work. Did I mention I was stoned

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This Netflix Scott Pilgrim series is pretty okay. Has virtually every voice from the movie, which I thought was a pretty interesting score. Seems like it means a lot of them liked the project, source material, or got paid for it, but I think it's probably more towards the goodwill category.

It's weird how often stuff is the same and how many times something gets way different, but that's adapting a long-form story into a movie for you. Anyone who enjoyed the movie would likely enjoy this, I am for sure.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This Netflix Scott Pilgrim series is pretty okay. Has virtually every voice from the movie, which I thought was a pretty interesting score. Seems like it means a lot of them liked the project, source material, or got paid for it, but I think it's probably more towards the goodwill category.

It's weird how often stuff is the same and how many times something gets way different, but that's adapting a long-form story into a movie for you. Anyone who enjoyed the movie would likely enjoy this, I am for sure.
To be clear, the Scott Pilgrim anime isn't an adaptation of the movie (or the graphic novels or the video game). It's its own fresh take on Scott Pilgrim, as each of the previous creations have been. None of the Scott Pilgrim media have ever exactly matched one another, and they aren't supposed to. Bryan Lee O'Malley has stated repeatedly that each are filtered thru where he is in his life at that moment. They're all designed to compliment and build upon each other, rather than any one of them being the "canon" or definitive story. Each places different perspectives and interpretations as the focal point of the narrative.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
To be clear, the Scott Pilgrim anime isn't an adaptation of the movie (or the graphic novels or the video game). It's its own fresh take on Scott Pilgrim, as each of the previous creations have been. None of the Scott Pilgrim media have ever exactly matched one another, and they aren't supposed to. Bryan Lee O'Malley has stated repeatedly that each are filtered thru where he is in his life at that moment. They're all designed to compliment and build upon each other, rather than any one of them being the "canon" or definitive story. Each places different perspectives and interpretations as the focal point of the narrative.
I think I did read that and subsequently forgot it, it does sound familiar. But then, because I never read the original I just started spotting differences and assuming it was source, and maybe some of it is but I'll never know

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Family is sick and I got to watch some old westerns w zero sound and CC holding my congested baby

On this channel on cable like Hdnet or hdmovies … anyways they show titties and curse

Posse - Kirk Douglas’s and a young Bruce Dern … kinda a bad movie. Bruce dern looks too goofy to be a cunning bad guy and he wears a jean jacket and jeans that look like the came off the rack of jc Pennie’s

Bad penny book made into a low budget Hollywood movie

Fist full of dynamite - surprisingly grimy and kinda hardcore. Never heard of it but enjoyed it.
If you like the grimier grislier westerns like wild bunch vs Hollywood John Wayne … this is a good pick

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m upgrading that to damn good….movie quality mini-series. I would love a full multi-season show.
It's pretty above average.

Loved seeing the Reverend from Deadwood in there. Took me a minute to realize who it was, but I loved him

but also, we've all seen Mythbusters. This girl had a whole belt of C4 on her and basically just turned into a little meat burst? The shock ripple alone is bad. Honestly that was the first moment to break my suspension of disbelief but I'm just seeing it and what?

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Dungeons and Dragons - it was an decent family fun action movie ... but really surprised it ran 2;15 mins as it had at least 15 mins of unneccesary fat/boring dialogue that didnt endear the characters/push the plot

Squid Games game show - 2 episodes in, we like it

Russian Doll - comedy dramedy .. unique groundhogs day type twist .. its good so far, not what I was expecting

blue eyed samurai - plugging along, decent

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Started “A Murder at the End of the World”
(Hulu/FX) - classic murder mystery setup. Pretty good so far.

It’s from Brit Marling (The OA, Another Earth, I Origins) and her usual writing partner. It’s reminiscent of some of her other work in terms of characters, and its bigger themes/ideas that go beyond the basic mystery.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Finished The Bear and Shoresy season 2 on Hulu. I enjoyed both but my Hulu has commercials and makes the shows hard to watch. Both have been renewed for season 3s

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m surprised, I thought it was awful in the end. I kept waiting for it for come together and it just never did, it was one of those movies where you can’t tell if it’s going to be good or bad and it’s all about how it ends and I thought the end was just dreck

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’m surprised, I thought it was awful in the end. I kept waiting for it for come together and it just never did, it was one of those movies where you can’t tell if it’s going to be good or bad and it’s all about how it ends and I thought the end was just dreck
Be ready for another movie. Lots of things to build on.

They can even flash forward with a new cast.

Reactions: HTFN

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I love those kind of movies where you have no idea what’s happening, and a trickle of information leads you to consider crazy possibilities.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Be ready for another movie. Lots of things to build on.

They can even flash forward with a new cast.
You're right but it's like they took the worst option every time...

Best tension in the movie was the first half with some loose "what is going on" and a lot more "pressure cooker in the house" situations, should have never left the house. Once they left and it was techno-terrorism stuff and then came back it was like "okay, now what, tension's basically gone and also we have no real hints except 'the client', but then that client just turns out to be someone connected enough to feel bad and not even a main player in what's happening...

The psychic deer didn't work for me at all, and this little girl's quest to watch Friends wasn't a strong payoff for me. It was quirky I guess, but not satisfying given what's happening around her and it shouldn't really have been on her mind.

I also briefly thought Kevin Bacon was actually future Ethan Hawke, like all his doomsday prepping was for this and he'd come in the second or third act and be like "it's time for me to step in now" but then he's just kind of a skeptical butthole, and that whole "noise" sequence just fizzles... I had to look up what happened to him again because I didn't care.

It was like the Lost of movies, some interesting images and possibilities that ultimately went nowhere and had no cohesive plot

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I love those kind of movies where you have no idea what’s happening, and a trickle of information leads you to consider crazy possibilities.
I love them as playgrounds, but they have to collapse into something at least as good as what they're letting you play with (or be used as a device to really get your brain going then subvert what your expectations are after they've set the parameters, like Hereditary does)

This one either played with concepts done better and then dropped them or delivered like the third best choice among what it hinted at

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Leave the world behind on Netflix was one of the best things Netflix has put out in a long time.
I found it entertaining I watched in one go. At least there as some detail as to what was going on. Bacon's character as entertaining I mean I feel don't need a civil war these days for that type of reaction. Esppecially the way people are LARPing their own life based on their fake news doom silo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad