Capital One Arena announces $40 million upgrade to arena

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
DJ King?

The league's marketing execs will never cater to their actual base. They were the ones that ignored Ovi as a marketing angle for most of his career yet everyone wanted to see Ovi. Everyone. Die hard hockey fans are not clamoring for a DJ. Call it the Vegas Effect. Wow what a performance. What was the score again? I went to a hockey game and a dance club broke out.

I used to even love the organ cranking out the post penalty wav.... working the final 2 notes until the call is made.... washington penalty, #4...

Last edited:

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
DJ King?

The league's marketing execs will never cater to their actual base. They were the ones that ignored Ovi as a marketing angle for most of his career yet everyone wanted to see Ovi. Everyone. Die hard hockey fans are not clamoring for a DJ. Call it the Vegas Effect. Wow what a performance. What was the score again? I went to a hockey game and a dance club broke out.

I used to even love the organ cranking out the post penalty wav.... working the final 2 notes until the call is made.... washington penalty, #4...

Leif Svensson??

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Leif Svensson??

Nice Pull! Maybe more like Leif Garret..... but I was thinking Randy Holt.

Look at this reputation major call. That's 2 for high sticking + 2 embellishment. A retaliation penalty apparently, Holt knew the code and wouldn't attack stars for no reason. What I want to know is, with 4 guys on the bench, how come he didn't get kicked out long before that.

With organ.... plus minor fan incident

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010

Look at this reputation major call. That's 2 for high sticking + 2 embellishment. A retaliation penalty apparently, Holt knew the code and wouldn't attack stars for no reason. What I want to know is, with 4 guys on the bench, how come he didn't get kicked out long before that.
//

Good stuff. The announcer made reference to the Caps standing up for their goalie ... maybe a Leaf (Vaive?) had run #35, Al Jensen?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff. The announcer made reference to the Caps standing up for their goalie ... maybe a Leaf (Vaive?) had run #35, Al Jensen?

I presume so. What else is funny? The announcer wondering why no one was standing up for Vaive.

They didn't want to get their ass kicked! Duh.

I love the skeleton crew on the benches, and the announcer talking did we have enough players to get one to serve the major.

Notice Vaive popped right back up. You'd never see that in the modern game.

Ah, the good ole days.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
I'm torn between surprise and acceptance. I guess they'll never get a better spot then what they have now, but I really figured they'd be starting to lay the groundwork for a new place.

A new place? There’s not a better spot in the metro area for an arena than the one occupied by Cap One arena, that location is damn near ideal. I hope they renovate that very arena every 15-20 years or so until the asteroid hits.

Reactions: calicapsfan

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA

Yeah, it was a joke. I remember that Leif and Rolf Edberg were supposed to be some kind of Swedish saviors (I think maybe Ken Beatrice told me that).

Randy had 525 PM's in two seasons with the Caps..............Wow!

Looking back at that 81-82 season, Maruk had 128 PM's, Ryan Walter had 142, Gartner had 121, seriously what was up with that? Never mind Torrie Robertson (204) and Lee Norwood (125). I was very young at the time and I realize that it was an entirely different game, but still. The funny thing is that Lou Franceschetti had only 23 PM's in 30 games, pretty much the only time he was under 1 PM/game in his career.

Wow.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
The resurfacer tours may be one of the greatest concepts ever pitched in the history of hockey. I have STH so I'm always at COA and I never really had a problem with the atmosphere but many people said it was not good enough. This seems like they are trying to address these issues and make COA a place worth going to. Restaurants are meh, you can always eat outside for less (try Cava!) and the portions are a lot huger too.

I'm a bit wary of the DJ but the more I get to know the atmosphere with him blaring the music the more I'll be able to say. I thought they did a fine job with the music. It was the music that the young kids like to listen to, and they even mixed in a few WWE themes for fun. I remember when the Caps used to come out of the tunnel during warmups to Shinsuke Nakamura's Rising Sun theme. Now they seem to come out to Ronda Rousey's theme...occasionally

Sep 19, 2008
Where is the old school organ? Now that would have been worth it. Still though, I'm glad they are putting effort into the game experience. I know I'm not enthused about the DJ either, but at least we have an owner who care and we don't have a used Toyota dealership in a corner, have to drive to the middle of nowhere, or do stupid things like fire a cannon or play glowing drums.

"Bruce" is hopefully still there. They always introed him (sponsored by Jordan Kitt's Music!) after fans are instructed to go back to their seats after warmups. A lot of people criticize the music selection there...maybe it's because I've gone to so many games that it's all routine for me, but I never minded it at all. As recent as last year I can vividly recall the organ playing Jump by Van Halen, "The Man" by The Killers, etc. Sure, they pipe in your typical "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" by Van Halen, and as mentioned before anything WWE is usually piped in.

Re: gimmicks, hopefully there is less of that. Vegas and Columbus have notable gimmicks and during the ECF the Lightning had this huge board with some Lightning related pun which was always flashing and going off before games. The experience at COA, while a tad old fashioned, I admit, was fine as is.

Reactions: calicapsfan

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
capital-one-arena-seats.jpg

the new seats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad