#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A whole 1 million dollars?!

vIf0lAD.gif

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Players, not including Kane, better be saving their pennies for the billion in escrow that they owe ...

Someone really needs to put out an explainer for the escrow and what it means for the players

Also hopefully some kind of comparison with other sports like NFL, NBA and MLB to show where does NHL stand.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The nhls salary cap increase as well as the cap has been a joke. Since 2013 the cap was at 67 million before covid it was avg 2.5 million increase , now the cap has stayed flat for 3 years and running .

There using a system that has 1990 player salaries to justify any relevance or profitability.
Yes do the gms hand out ridiculous contracts , yes but mind you what we consider ridiculous isn't really considering a cost of living or reality to the market.

The nhl needs to find a solution to a more workable salary cap based on today's market and players salaries , not the 1990s .

Also there is to much watered down talent polluting the nhl andmits ability to bring in new viewers due to a lack of excitement or competition.

Those who speak parity truly lack any ethical or business sense.
What company says we'll today I want to be competitive but tomorrow and for the forseable future I won't be able to generate a profit ?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I wonder if, once it's confirmed, we'll see more of the RFA/pending UFAs sign their 8 year deals.
It would make sense for teams like Florida and Vancouver to know exactly what the future looks like before getting down to the brass tacks with Barkov, Hughes, and Pettersson.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This only reconfirms that some of the contracts signed this off-season as if there was some sort of inflation going on were completely stupid.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Someone really needs to put out an explainer for the escrow and what it means for the players

Also hopefully some kind of comparison with other sports like NFL, NBA and MLB to show where does NHL stand.

I’ll try to be concise.

Every year the nhl tries to predict their revenue growth. This growth will determine the salary cap.

To protect against losses, a certain percentage of players’ salaries go into an escrow account handled by a third party administrator. (I think it’s currently 20% of player salary!).

If the league falls short of its projected growth, the money in the escrow account goes back to the owns to cover the difference between projected growth and actual growth. The owners usually get all of the escrow money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad