Salary Cap: Cap Crunch Part 6: At Least We Have Rundblad

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I need opinions on interpreting CBA article 11.18. You can probably see what I am going after

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to
exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in
accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than
three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall
not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any
Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any
Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000. The dollar amount of $2,750,000 set
forth in this Section 11.18 shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of
annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon
a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary. By
way of example, if the Average League Salary for the 2014/15 League Year has increased by ten
(10) percent from the Average League Salary for the 2013/14 League Year, then the figure of
$2,750,000 stated in Section 11.18, shall be increased by ten (10) percent to $3,025,000.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
13. The Club, in addition to other rights hereunder, at its option, by written notice delivered
to the Player in accordance with Exhibit 3, may terminate this SPC on the following conditions:

(a) The Club shall offer the Player on Unconditional Waivers, either before or
promptly after the notice of intention to exercise the Ordinary Course Buy-Out option (herein
called "notice of termination") is given.

(b) Termination pursuant to this Paragraph shall be effective upon receipt by the
Player of the notice of termination and the Player clearing Unconditional Waivers pursuant to
Paragraph 13(a) above.

(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as CBA
Exhibit 20, with a copy to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:

(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the
conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings
pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day
following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement
of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m.
New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New
York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes
of this provision).

(d) If the Club elects to terminate this SPC pursuant to this Paragraph 13, it shall be
obligated to pay to the Player, in equal semi-monthly installments, to be paid in accordance with
the payroll payment schedule applicable to the Club's Active Roster, over twice the remaining
term of the SPC (the "Buy-Out Period"):
(i) if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or
(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player's Paragraph 1 NHL
Salary, for the unexpired fixed-term of this SPC, reduced by any advance payment of Paragraph
1 Salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.

(e) Upon termination, the Player shall immediately be an Unrestricted Free Agent and
shall no longer be obligated to perform under this SPC.

(f) Waiver claim of Player by another Club shall pre-empt and relinquish Club's Buy-
Out obligation, due to failure to clear Waivers.

(g) Clubs shall file their Buy-Out agreements, the form of which is attached hereto as
Exhibit 21, with Central Registry and the NHLPA within 24 hours of such agreements becoming
effective

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Okay, so when it says only 1 does it mean no more than 1, or exactly 1?

In the case of no more than 1 it certainly seems like Bickell is a candidate from what I have read in those 2 sections.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Oduya is not coming back. I don't understand why Bowman traded Johns when he knew there was a chance we would lose a top 6 dman. We could have traded a F or G prospect or a pick. I just don't get it.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Oduya is not coming back. I don't understand why Bowman traded Johns when he knew there was a chance we would lose a top 6 dman. We could have traded a F or G prospect or a pick. I just don't get it.

Because he wanted a NHL defenseman to replace Oduya who he couldn't afford

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris · 1m1 minute ago
Johnny Oduya signs with the #stars.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
I agree with you, but it's not like AA played with scrubs. He played on the same line as Foligno most of the time who had 31 goals and 73 points last year. Both higher than Kane, albeit with a few more games.

When Anisimov played with Foligno last year he scored at an elite rate 5v5.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Again...ask yourself which roster is better?

This one(everyone's hopeful "best case scenario" for the offseason that obviously proved to be unrealistic and impossible):

Panarin - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Richards/Teravainen/cheap depth C - Kane
Hartman/Baun/Danault/McNeill - Teravainen/cheap depth C - Shaw
Desjardins - Kruger - Nordstrom/Hartman/Baun
Hartman/Baun/Danault/McNeill/Nordstrom

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
TVR - Rundblad
Johns/cheap vet(Rozsival?)

Crawford
Darling

Or.....

This one:

Panarin - Toews - Hossa
Dano - Anisimov - Kane
Versteeg - Teravainen - Garbutt
Desjardins - Kruger - Shaw
Tikhonov

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Daley
TVR - Rundblad
Pokka/cheap vet(Rozsival?)

Crawford
Darling

IMO, the first roster(everyone's expected best case scenario) in all honesty is not noticeably better, so close to the point where any complaining about the job SB has done is simply laughable considering we all figured we would take a step back regardless of what he did, and as it turned out that hypothetical dream scenario again wasn't possible(Saad's demand for an impossible extension, Bickell being too hard to move, Richards moving on, Sharp moving on and not for the cap relief we at first expected, etc, etc.)...so can we please take some time to realize that we've been handed a team for next season that is retooled for another deep run, a minor step back possibly, yet the potential to surprise and be even better. And as the entire league knows if we make the playoffs on a hot streak then we're public enemy #1 and everyone's worst nightmare given our track record in the clutch.

Im feeling very optimistic tonight.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Sharp 5.9
Oduya 3.75
Saad 6.0
Johns 0.8
= 16.45 Cap Hit

for

Daley 3.3
Anisimov 3.29
Dano 0.925
Garbutt 0.9
= 8.415

We saved 8.035 Million while still being a Team that can win now

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Please just re-sign Kruger soon... that's all I ask. He is a restricted free agent so it shouldn't be that difficult. Hawks can be 10% over the cap until the beginning of the season so it would be ideal to get Kruger re-signed FIRST and then move what's necessary to be under the cap (hopefully Versteeg, if Bickell can't be moved. And not Shaw... I want to keep him.).

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Please just re-sign Kruger soon... that's all I ask. He is a restricted free agent so it shouldn't be that difficult. Hawks can be 10% over the cap until the beginning of the season so it would be ideal to get Kruger re-signed FIRST and then move what's necessary to be under the cap (hopefully Versteeg, if Bickell can't be moved. And not Shaw... I want to keep him.).

I'm kind of surprised Kruger hasn't received an offer sheet from anyone yet seeing how everyone wants to screw over the Hawks this off-season.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Scott Powers ‏@ESPNChiPowers · 5m5 minutes ago
Bowman said the Blackhawks have $750,000 in bonus overages from last season.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
It's just Timonen, right? At least we finally got a answer on it.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Q seems fairly set on Teuvo at center to start at least. :handclap: Also said he could see Dano playing with Hossa, which would make sense as he'd probably fit on that line.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
It's just Timonen, right? At least we finally got a answer on it.

I am not satisfied.

WAR On Ice @war_on_ice
One explanation we heard was that if Kane had stayed on LTIR through the playoffs, Timonen's bonus would have been sufficiently covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad