Canucks versus ?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I guess the Canucks opponent hasn’t been decided? I thought it was Nashville? What other possibilities exist? There will be disappointment in Canuckland if its anyone but Nashville as it seemed like a shoe in.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Depends on whether or not Dallas picks up a point against the Blues tonight.

If Dallas wins - or loses in OT/SO - they clinch tops in the West and Vancouver most likely faces Nashville in R1 since the Preds are locked into that WC1 slot.

If Dallas loses in regulation tonight, and the Canucks beat Winnipeg tomorrow, then Vancouver gets the top spot and faces either LA or Vegas.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
No matter who they play, it should be a
tupit-rye-img-1834-800x600.png

symbol-at-sign-arroba-email-computer-icons-symbol.jpg

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Let the chips fall where they may. I just wanna see if Vegas winds up having to go through the Central division because that would be an absolutely crazy first round.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I guess the Canucks opponent hasn’t been decided? I thought it was Nashville? What other possibilities exist? There will be disappointment in Canuckland if its anyone but Nashville as it seemed like a shoe in.
The only things decided for sure in the West are the Jets vs Colorado matchup, and Dallas, Vancouver and Edmonton's position in their division. Vancouver could still tie Dallas in the point race for Western Conference top seed. The tie-breaker there is regulation wins, and I don't know who has that, but I'm assuming its Vancouver, or the Stars would have the #1 seed locked up. So if Vancouver wins tonight and Dallas loses in regulation, then Vancouver has the #1 seed and faces Wild Card #2. If Dallas gets a point tonight, Vancouver gets WC1.

WC 1 and 2 are still up for grabs though, with Nashville currently sitting at WC1, and LA as WC2, but Vegas only has a 1 point lead on LA and both still have a game tonight - and both are only 2 back of Nashville, so the possibilities are:

Vegas Wins, LA loses - no changes to current standings

Vegas wins, LA wins = Vegas finishes 3rd in Pacific, LA and Nashville tie in points but Nashville I think has more regulation wins, so they would still finish ahead of LA for the WC spots.

LA Wins, Vegas Loses in OT/SO - 3 way tie at 99 points. Vegas finishes 3rd in Pacific via tiebreaker, Nashville finishes WC1, LA finishes WC2

LA Wins, Vegas Loses in regulation - LA finishes 3rd in Pacific, Nashville finishes WC1, Vegas finishes WC2

LA and Vegas both lose - no changes to current standings

I think that's right, as long as I have the regulation wins tiebreaker correct.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm really hoping that they can get the #1 seed, but obviously need the Blues to really help us out tonight. Game 1 and 7 at home through the West is a pretty bug deal, as there are so many good teams any advantage help. Not going all the way to Nashville helps.
I also want the pick that went to the flames to be as low as it can be, as whoever they take will likely end up playing in our division eventually.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
nashville has WC1 locked up. First tie break is RW and Vegas can not catch them in that (38 vs 34). LA can but the next tie breaker is ROW and LA loses the tie break on that (44 vs 41).

What remains to be decided is:

first in the conference. A single point by Dallas tonight gives them the #1 seed. A regulation loss leaves the door open for Vancouver to take it as they would win the tiebreaker.

Placement of LA and Vegas. A Vegas win gives them 3rd in the division. A single point or loss leaves the door open for LA to take that spot with a win. Vegas is at home vs the Ducks and LA at home vs the Hawks...So I wouldn't expect a change in where they sit. But stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The only things decided for sure in the West are the Jets vs Colorado matchup, and Dallas, Vancouver and Edmonton's position in their division. Vancouver could still tie Dallas in the point race for Western Conference top seed. The tie-breaker there is regulation wins, and I don't know who has that, but I'm assuming its Vancouver, or the Stars would have the #1 seed locked up. So if Vancouver wins tonight and Dallas loses in regulation, then Vancouver has the #1 seed and faces Wild Card #2. If Dallas gets a point tonight, Vancouver gets WC1.

WC 1 and 2 are still up for grabs though, with Nashville currently sitting at WC1, and LA as WC2, but Vegas only has a 1 point lead on LA and both still have a game tonight - and both are only 2 back of Nashville, so the possibilities are:

Vegas Wins, LA loses - no changes to current standings

Vegas wins, LA wins = Vegas finishes 3rd in Pacific, LA and Nashville tie in points but Nashville I think has more regulation wins, so they would still finish ahead of LA for the WC spots.

LA Wins, Vegas Loses in OT/SO - 3 way tie at 99 points. Vegas finishes 3rd in Pacific via tiebreaker, Nashville finishes WC1, LA finishes WC2

LA Wins, Vegas Loses in regulation - LA finishes 3rd in Pacific, Nashville finishes WC1, Vegas finishes WC2

LA and Vegas both lose - no changes to current standings

I think that's right, as long as I have the regulation wins tiebreaker correct.

Pretty sure this is bang-on, except the Canucks-Jets game is tomorrow.

But if Dallas wins tonight, it won't matter anyway.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pretty sure this is bang-on, except the Canucks-Jets game is tomorrow.

But if Dallas wins tonight, it won't matter anyway.
I simplified too much in my response but Nashville has WC1...it is decided.

If Vegas wins game 82 they have third in the division with 100 points. LA could only reach 99 points with a win in their final game which is the same as Nashville but they lose the second tie break (ROW. Tied in RW). It would be Nashville WC1 and LA WC2.

If Vegas gets 0 or 1 point they are at 98 or 99 points. Assuming 1 point, with a win LA will pass Vegas based on the tie break and take 3rd in the division. The same if Vegas gets 0 and LA 1 or 2 points.

So essentially:

Vegas win --> Vegas 3rd div, Nash WC1, LA WC2

Vegas loss of any sort + LA win of any sort --> LA 3rd div, Nash WC1, Vegas WC2

Vegas regulation loss + LA OT/SO loss or win:--> LA 3rd div, Nash WC1, Vegas WC2

Last edited:

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Dallas Win or OT point then they play WC2 (either LA or LV)
Dallas regulation loss they play WC2 unless Vancouver wins in any fashion then they get WC1 ( Nashville is WC1)

Vancouver regulation or OT win will need a Dallas loss to play WC2, Dallas gets a point and Van plays WC1

Las Vegas gets 1 point they finish P3 and play Edmonton
Las Vegas loses then Los Angeles needs a win to finish P3 and Las Vegas would play Dallas or Vancouver

Los Angeles loses in any fashion they finish WC2 and play either Dallas or Vancouver
Los Angeles wins they need Los Vegas to lose in regulation to finish P3 and play Edmonton.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks will play the Kings in the first round as the Stars will get flattened tonight in St Louis and the Canucks will shutout the Jets tomorrow night. LA and the Las Vegas Golden Knights will both win their final games, keeping the Kings in WC2, setting up a first round battle with the Tyler Myers led Canucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Dal gains 1 point tonight vs STL, Van is locked into #2 seed. Simple as that. Then they would play Nash and Nash holds a tie breaker over the other 2 teams (LA/LV) to finish ahead of them if tied for points for WC1.

If Dal loses in Reg, then Van needs any type of win to gain #1 seed. Their opponent would then be one of LA/LV depending on how things transpire their final game, with LV in control of their destiny. If LA/LV end up tied in points, LA gets #3 seed in Pacific.

Only thing to come out of the Van/Win game tomorrow is home ice if Van/Win face each other in round 3. Whoever wins the game, either in Reg/extra time would get home ice if they do meet in WCF. But, sounds like Win is resting guys. See if Van opts to leave their top 3-4 players in Van rather than do a 6 hour round trip flight with them.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Canucks will play the Kings in the first round as the Stars will get flattened tonight in St Louis and the Canucks will shutout the Jets tomorrow night. LA and the Las Vegas Golden Knights will both win their final games, keeping the Kings in WC2, setting up a first round battle with the Tyler Myers led Canucks
How the hell do the Blues have a good record against the Stars? Hockey is wild.

Also, I thought the seeding would be sorted before the kings game tomorrow at 7:30pm so the result wouldn’t matter. Guess I was wrong

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I think they will be easy. Definitely the easiest matchup in the west.
Easy? I think they are the exact opposite tbh. Not necessarily saying they are going to advance from the 1st rd but they definitely will make it hard for their opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad